Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,775,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I don't understand why you're so afraid of the word abnormal?

I don't think that homosexuals are bad, immoral or anything. But they are abnormal as most people are heterosexual. it's not a judgment, just a description. What scares you so much about descriptions?
Because it's incorrect to use the word "abnormal" to describe homosexuality from a psychological point of view. The word "normal" is relative. Most people in the world have brown eyes and are right-handed. It would be odd to describe left-handed people or people with blue eyes as "abnormal", but that's exactly what we would have to do in order to go along with your argument about what's normal and what is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,003,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Look, why don't you tell me why I should assess the merit of my position...why should I as a gay man assess the merit of my posistion?

Shrug...
Why is it that you meet relevant relations to the subject with dismissal?

How about simply answering to the analogy made by the other poster? That is what it means to evaluate the merit of ones position. If you hide from arguments that are relevant and dismiss them, it tends to suggest that it is because you doubt your own position. Do you? If not, why the evasion?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,261,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Again, it's the political correctness of the word. We ARE in a politics thread.

The word "abnormal" has been associated with negativity and therefore has been tinted as such.

Which may be the reason for the ping pongs we've been having
I just cannot stand political correctness. Notice my name here. I'm a manlet. I don't refer to myself as "vertically challenged".

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

The PC people have forgotten that.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,655,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is a proper definition, it is a relevant definition and it is an appropriate definition. The fact that people don't use it is simply they do not want a negative sound to their description. They take it personally and honestly, I don't care how someone takes a word when it is specifically relevant to the discussion.

If anything, political influence has led to people thinking it is a bad word when it is simply a fact. We have enough people who can't read, the last thing we need is constant changes to definitions to fit emotional appeal. In fact, I personally think it the path to an ignorant society.
We could go back and forth about the political correctness of a word, which would be pointless.

Granted, we are in a political thread, so political correctness behind words are applied, depending on whom you are talking to. Best thing to do is probably explain one's position is greater depth

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Because it's incorrect to use the word "abnormal" to describe homosexuality from a psychological point of view. The word "normal" is relative. Most people in the world have brown eyes and are right-handed. It would be odd to describe left-handed people or people with blue eyes as "abnormal", but that's exactly what we would have to do in order to go along with your argument about what's normal and what is not.
It is proper form. It is relative to the issue of homosexuality. It is extremely uncommon, which suggests that it is not an intended progression of human development just as so many other ailments that are rare, uncommon, or rather abnormal.

If people do not like it, well I can't help that. I don't deal in appealing to their emotions. They are irrelevant when we are discussing the facts of the issue.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,328,467 times
Quote:
It seems to me as though we are getting into the political correctness of the proper usage of the word "abnormal".
To me the term should be 'atypical'. In a statistical sample any outlying point is atypical. It doesn't mean it is good, or bad. It just means it differs from the main sample set in a significant way. Being left-handed is atypical within the population of the United States. You won't find many left-handed people that feel self-conscious about it though.

Quote:
Why hasn't the American Psychological Association postulated the same theory? Do you believe that homosexuality can be "cured"?
I know twenty years ago what I said WAS espoused as explanation for homosexuality by cognitive behaviorists. I don't know which group of psychologists holds the majority view today, if any.
I would not use the term "cured" since it has strong negative connotations. I would use a term like "changed" or "retrained" since it is a learned condition. Like all psychological learned behaviors it would be very hard to change but change is possible. It might never feel as 'right' to the homosexual as to someone who successfully mastered the identity vs. role confusion stage correctly the first time around though.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,655,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I just cannot stand political correctness. Notice my name here. I'm a manlet. I don't refer to myself as "vertically challenged".
Are you trying to say you are a string bean?

Just because you can't stand it and detach yourself away from it doesn't mean others do

Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Are most people left or right handed?

Do most people have two nipples? What about a person with a third nipple? I have a third nipple. That makes me abnormal, because most people don't.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to say you are a string bean?

Just because you can't stand it and detach yourself away from it doesn't mean others do
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
We could go back and forth about the political correctness of a word, which would be pointless.

Granted, we are in a political thread, so political correctness behind words are applied, depending on whom you are talking to. Best thing to do is probably explain one's position is greater depth
you miss my point, I am not using the word outside of its context, I am using it as intended which is relevant to the point. Attempting to avoid using it is counter to the issues brought up. That is, it is a disservice to proper relevant communication.

the issue of this thread is concerning a cure for gays, though more specifically the funding with it. The issue then is relevant to what homosexuality is, its rate of occurrence, what defines it or causes it and how that relates to its occurrence in society.

To claim it is not abnormal would be disingenuous at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies