Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Azriverfan, you cannot abandon a patient. It is your obligation to treat the patient until another provider can be found. You are obligated to give your patient ample notice. A nasty sign when you walk into an office is not ample notice.
Yes, I agree. If you read my response above, I acknowledged this. The physician would be obligated to see these patients for a period of time (usually 30 days) until the patients find a new physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Even so, how distasteful is it for a doctor to tell patients that he is so politically biased that he will deny care?
It's completely distasteful and I agree. Personally, I think it's distateful when physicians refuse to see Medicare patients although I am now considering it myself if this 21% cut isn't addressed. Nonetheless, I'm not okay with this personally and will still see them even with the cut because I didn't become a doctor to refuse to see people who need help. But I promise I will continue to bi$#$3 about it.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Azriverfan, you cannot abandon a patient. It is your obligation to treat the patient until another provider can be found. You are obligated to give your patient ample notice. A nasty sign when you walk into an office is not ample notice.
He didn't abandon anyone. He just let patients know how he feels about those who support Obama's health care policy. He doesn't ask patients how they vote and then refuse treatment as that indeed would be unethical. Rather, he allows the patients to decide for themselves. Do you see the difference?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Florida Doctor posts sign in office to tell Obama supporters to get lost!
These kind of "Doctors", and i use the term loosely, can afford to tell their patients to get lost. It seems their Hippocratic oath got lost too.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's completely distasteful and I agree. Personally, I think it's distateful when physicians refuse to see Medicare patients although I am now considering it myself if this 21% cut isn't addressed. Nonetheless, I'm not okay with this personally and will still see them even with the cut because I didn't become a doctor to refuse to see people who need help. But I promise I will continue to bi$#$3 about it.
Good for you.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
That's a good point. This doctor may have patients already in his practice who voted for Obama. Chances are, he has patients like that. This sign tells them that they are not welcome. He is telling them to go away. It creates a hostile environment which poisons the doctor-patient relationship, which should be founded on trust and respect. Imagine if he put up a sign "Jews are not welcome in my practice". Let's see how far his "freedom of speech" will go.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree he is an a-hole and a pretty unethical one but legally he has done nothing wrong and can't lose his license over it. Physicians can refuse to see patients. If you remember pommy, it comes down under the Autonomy principle. Physicians have a right to refuse treatment
Not to established patients without ample notice. If I walked into a doctor's office, had voted for Obama and saw that sign, I would feel like I was in a hostile environment. I would have felt abandoned. I would have left without treatment because the doctor's sign told me I was not welcome. I would definitely file a formal complaint against this doctor.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Not to established patients without ample notice. If I walked into a doctor's office, had voted for Obama and saw that sign, I would feel like I was in a hostile environment. I would have felt abandoned. I would have left without treatment because the doctor's sign told me I was not welcome. I would definitely file a formal complaint against this doctor.

the thing is, is that you did not have to tell the doctor that you voted for pbo. you could have said nothing at all and get the treatment needed.

also, in the article, the doctor does not ask you how you voted, just had it posted on his private business door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Florida Doctor posts sign in office to tell Obama supporters to get lost!
These kind of "Doctors", and i use the term loosely, can afford to tell their patients to get lost. It seems their Hippocratic oath got lost too.
Go back in this thread and read the Hippocratic oath and what it states about patient privacy. Then read the new law and how it destroys patient medical records privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
He didn't abandon anyone. He just let patients know how he feels about those who support Obama's health care policy. He doesn't ask patients how they vote and then refuse treatment as that indeed would be unethical. Rather, he allows the patients to decide for themselves. Do you see the difference?
No, because his sign specifically told people to leave (get lost) if they are Obama supporters. You would have a point if his sign said "I hate Obama supporters" The former is a command asking people to leave his office. The latter is just an opinion about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies