Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And from my post that you chose to quote:

Response to a natural disaster on the magnitude of either Katrina or Haiti requires a massive effort and takes time to get rolling. Quite honestly, the current response time is pretty understandable. Yet when the Bush team responded in less time (though not instantly) to a much more widespread disaster, they are hammered in the press and by the Bush haters (and by the way I'm not a Bush supporter, his spending policies are a disaster). You seem to want to give Obama all the slack in the world, but none when another party is in power. Or more accurately, the MSM does.
I'm giving no one slack because there is no slack to be given. You clearly have no understanding of how this situation is & there is absolutely no comparison to Katrina, period. Get over it, get over whatever you have against the press & the president & find something worthy to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I'm giving no one slack because there is no slack to be given. You clearly have no understanding of how this situation is & there is absolutely no comparison to Katrina, period. Get over it, get over whatever you have against the press & the president & find something worthy to complain about.
In what way is there no comparison of the two situations? I've pointed out several ways in which Katrina was a more difficult response, all you do is say I blame the president.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM

146 posts, read 149,663 times
I like how people here are blaming the poor airport conditions for the aid not getting to where it needs to go. What a bunch of hot air that is. Do we not have helicopters and C-130s to make air drops? Come on now, This is how they did it for Katrina, so stop using that lame old excuse, it is an extremely poor one and just shows what lengths you people would go to to give Obama a pass.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,459,475 times
Quote:
Much of what you said is true, response time to a disaster is beyond what the president alone can control. However, it didn't stop the media and the lefties from blaming Bush for the response to Katrina. While the loss of life was lower, Katrina devistated a much larger area, dispersing rescue efforts. Haiti is a little island, you can't get much over 20 miles from the ocean on the entire island. Plus, much of the island isn't flooded. In comparison, distribution of food, water and rescue personel should be much simpler in Haiti. Yet many areas still haven't received aid.

My issue isn't the response from Obama or the Obama team, rather the difference in response from the media and the whining lefties.

I'm sorry but Katrina took place IN OUR OWN COUNTRY...and as noted WE HAD WARNING. I fault EVERYONE who didn't do their part in that disaster, including the local governments (no matter their political persuasion) AND the President of OUR country.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,633,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I can't believe a few poster in this thread are trying to make the Haiti relief effort into a political thing. It is shameful and it shows the shallowness of their character.
Kind of like your ilk tried to make hay with Katrina?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
It's been 6 days now, many people are still burried and awaiting rescue (those still alive). Mobs are getting restless due to several days of waiting for food and water. Medical care is non-existent in most areas. Yet, for all that, this is physically a much smaller, more localized event than Katrina. Katrina devistated several states, not one small island.

Following Katrina, after 2 days, the media and the left were stirring up a schit-storm because some people didn't have hot food and air conditioning. MREs just wern't good enough. GWB and FEMA are cruicified in the press. Yet, now, in spite of poorer response to a more localized event, I see no critizism in the press on the anointed one's response. Or even comments that he can take time off to go stump for a political race in the middle of a crisis response.

One more great example of fair and balanced from the MSM. I'm sure in some way it's all Bush's fault...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I'm sorry but Katrina took place IN OUR OWN COUNTRY...and as noted WE HAD WARNING. I fault EVERYONE who didn't do their part in that disaster, including the local governments (no matter their political persuasion) AND the President of OUR country.
I agree, we had warning, and many people that received that warning were bright enough to get out of the danger zone. And that the loss of life is much greater in this case. But in terms of difficulty of response, once again, let me explain it to you...

Katrina didn't devistate a few square miles on a small island, it devistated major areas of several states. Roads were blocked and flooded, in some cases for upwards of one hundred miles from where help was needed. The storm covered a huge area and kept response teams from staging anywhere near where they were needed. And the storm lasted a prolonged period of time. Yet response and help was to nearly all areas within what, 3-4 days. No one died from starvation or lack of water as far as I recall.

In comparison, the Haiti earthquake devistated a pretty small area. The weather after the earthquake is mild, with clear skies and calm seas. Very little of the island is more than 20 miles from the coast, facilitating transportation. And it's only a short distance off our coast. Seems like nearly an ideal response scenarion to a horrible situation.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,597 times
I'm done w/this thread. If some of you can't understand the concept of this situation & continue to blame the president, you're beyond any sort of comprehension or help.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,850 times
I would like know why we are even helping in the first place.
This is not our country.
Just because you want to help another human being does mean it should be done via your government.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I'm done w/this thread. If some of you can't understand the concept of this situation & continue to blame the president, you're beyond any sort of comprehension or help.
OK by me if you keep trying to avoid the OP. Specifically the difference in response from the media and a portion of the public to the delay in aid in both cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies