Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM

39,951 posts, read 26,689,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How can it be simpler?? The infrastructure in Hati is much worse than the infrastructure of New Orleans, not to mention the little thing called debris. The situations aren't even remotely similar, so to compare the responses is just asinine.
For one thing, Katrina devistated a much larger area than simply New Orleans. The storm left roads closed by debris for upwards of a hundred miles or more from most coastlines, plus left many others flooded or washed out. I'm not sure which aspects of infrastructure you are talking about. Power and water systems were disabled in both cases. Road transport was destroyed or disrupted over a much larger area after Katrina. So why aren't situations "even remotely similar"? Granted the loss of life is much worse in Haiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM

211 posts, read 818,372 times
Haiti isn't the US. The katrina situation was untenable, unprecedented and atrocious, since it was our own.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,384,771 times
It did not matter who was in the big chair the response would be the same.The airport does not not have the capacity to handle the traffic.I think they can handle 9 planes at a time?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,633,612 times
Why the situation in Haiti is worse than Katrina:

"As horrific as it was, Katrina was a region-wide catastrophe, not a national one. Damage was enormous in the Gulf region, but the resources of the larger nation remained intact and available for mobilization, even though aid was slow in coming. Katrina did not flatten our nation's capital or prevent national leaders from communicating with one another. Impacts were catastrophic in areas where Katrina struck, creating significant logistics problems, but the infrastructure of the rest of the nation was untouched."
Haiti is not Katrina - CNN.com

Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
Haiti isn't the US. The katrina situation was untenable, unprecedented and atrocious, since it was our own.
Yes, that states politicians should be hung for their actions concerning that devastation.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Why the situation in Haiti is worse than Katrina:

"As horrific as it was, Katrina was a region-wide catastrophe, not a national one. Damage was enormous in the Gulf region, but the resources of the larger nation remained intact and available for mobilization, even though aid was slow in coming. Katrina did not flatten our nation's capital or prevent national leaders from communicating with one another. Impacts were catastrophic in areas where Katrina struck, creating significant logistics problems, but the infrastructure of the rest of the nation was untouched."
Haiti is not Katrina - CNN.com
Sounds like another appologist for the Obama administration. First, not all of Haiti was devestated by the earth quake, from what I've seen the worst of the devistation looks to be in about a 20 x 40 mile (or smaller) area. So maybe an area the size of a good sized county here. While Katrina devistated large areas of several states.

By the accounts I've seen, now, a week after the event, aid still hasn't reached many of those in need. Even the basics, water, medical care, temporary shelter are still rolling in. Think back on Katrina-when people spend what, 2-3 days in the stadium, in shelter, with food and water, the Bush administration was being torn a new one for their poor response...FEMA director is fired. Yet now when it takes a week to bring basic supplies to a tiny island some 200 or so miles off our shores there is no complaint.

My heart goes out to the Haiti victims. Most show far more dignity and restraint in the face of this disaster than many Katrina survivors did.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,350,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Gotta love the incessant RW whining.

It's amazing how many folks thousands of miles away from Haiti are now "experts" as to what's going on there. And how quickly those on the right have politicized this tragedy.

It's shameful.

I can't believe a few poster in this thread are trying to make the Haiti relief effort into a political thing. It is shameful and it shows the shallowness of their character.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,272,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

My issue isn't the response from Obama or the Obama team, rather the difference in response from the media and the whining lefties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sounds like another appologist for the Obama administration. First, not all of Haiti was devestated by the earth quake, from what I've seen the worst of the devistation looks to be in about a 20 x 40 mile (or smaller) area. So maybe an area the size of a good sized county here. While Katrina devistated large areas of several states.

By the accounts I've seen, now, a week after the event, aid still hasn't reached many of those in need. Even the basics, water, medical care, temporary shelter are still rolling in. Think back on Katrina-when people spend what, 2-3 days in the stadium, in shelter, with food and water, the Bush administration was being torn a new one for their poor response...FEMA director is fired. Yet now when it takes a week to bring basic supplies to a tiny island some 200 or so miles off our shores there is no complaint.

My heart goes out to the Haiti victims. Most show far more dignity and restraint in the face of this disaster than many Katrina survivors did.
Your posts are totally hypocritical. Remember when you responded to me w/the above post? You know, the one where you said, and I quote "My issue isn't the response from Obama or the Obama team, rather the difference in response from the media and the whining lefties". And it's quite obvious you haven't watched or listened to ANY coverage of this devastation, NONE or you would have a clearer understanding of what is going on over there. Please get yourself informed on something before you post ignorant posts. It's like you just needed something ANYTHING to use to complain about the president. It's old & it's unnecessary.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,272,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I can't believe a few poster in this thread are trying to make the Haiti relief effort into a political thing. It is shameful and it shows the shallowness of their character.
Many people on this forum are insensitive pieces of you know what. They just need something to complain about to make their lives feel better.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Your posts are totally hypocritical. Remember when you responded to me w/the above post? You know, the one where you said, and I quote "My issue isn't the response from Obama or the Obama team, rather the difference in response from the media and the whining lefties". And it's quite obvious you haven't watched or listened to ANY coverage of this devastation, NONE or you would have a clearer understanding of what is going on over there. Please get yourself informed on something before you post ignorant posts. It's like you just needed something ANYTHING to use to complain about the president. It's old & it's unnecessary.
And from my post that you chose to quote:
Quote:
Think back on Katrina-when people spend what, 2-3 days in the stadium, in shelter, with food and water, the Bush administration was being torn a new one for their poor response...FEMA director is fired. Yet now when it takes a week to bring basic supplies to a tiny island some 200 or so miles off our shores there is no complaint.
Response to a natural disaster on the magnitude of either Katrina or Haiti requires a massive effort and takes time to get rolling. Quite honestly, the current response time is pretty understandable. Yet when the Bush team responded in less time (though not instantly) to a much more widespread disaster, they are hammered in the press and by the Bush haters (and by the way I'm not a Bush supporter, his spending policies are a disaster). You seem to want to give Obama all the slack in the world, but none when another party is in power. Or more accurately, the MSM does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies