Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,344,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
No, he said that it was a lie that Republicans 150 years ago were against slavery. No matter how you try to spin it.
Please quote SOMETHING that backs what you're saying....

Jadex said the following:

"Honestly thats what gets me about blacks that just blindly follow the democrat party, They are following the party that wanted them to remain slaves. It makes no sense to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos
In which case it is moronic for your democrats to try to lay claim to some imagined moral high ground founded in 1860. See? It works both ways.
No, it doesn't work EITHER way. Reid is comparing the Republican's stance on the healthcare bill to "LAWMAKER'S" stances on slavery in 1860.... NOTICE THE ABSENCE OF MENTION OF ANY POLITICAL PARTY FROM THE 1860s THERE?.... IT IS THE KEY TO WHAT I'M SAYING...

Quote:
Which would indicate further that Reids statement is at best misleading but probably more likely a political lie.
Reid's statement is foolish in it's own right, but Jadex' suggestion was twice as a$$inine IMO.... You seem to have a problem differentiating the two... In fact, it's your inability to do so which has us in this discussion in the first place...

Quote:
Equally, as has already been pointed out, the Democratic Party cannot claim any high ground from 150 years ago is theirs today. That would truly be moronic of you.
Reid isn't citing the positions on slavery of ANY particular party from 150 years ago..... He's metaphorically comparing the Reps stance on healthcare today to THOSE LAWMAKERS who opposed the abolition of slavery.... (Again, note that he doesn't say, "Those REPUBLICANS" or "Those DEMOCRATS" that opposed the abolition of slavery.....).

Quote:
It has everything to do with what Reid said. He is trying to use the race card from 150 years ago and equate it with todays political parties. If you do not have a problem with this type statement, then you are part of the problem.
No he isn't. He's comparing the Republicans stance on this issue with a particular stance of 150 years ago (without any mention of parties)....

To re-iterate, I'm not saying what Reid said is kosher either. MY point (which you inexplicably take exception to) is that today's Republican's don't deserve ANY props for what the Republican party did in 1860 as it isn't even the same party!!! And yes, that goes for Dems too... The Dems of today don't deserve ANY credit OR blame for stances taken by Dems in 1860......

If you follow the evolution of the parties you would see that they have more or less flip-flopped on which is conservative and which is liberal, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,597,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Please quote SOMETHING that backs what you're saying....

Jadex said the following:

"Honestly thats what gets me about blacks that just blindly follow the democrat party, They are following the party that wanted them to remain slaves. It makes no sense to me"

No, it doesn't work EITHER way. Reid is comparing the Republican's stance on the healthcare bill to "LAWMAKER'S" stances on slavery in 1860.... NOTICE THE ABSENCE OF MENTION OF ANY POLITICAL PARTY FROM THE 1860s THERE?.... IT IS THE KEY TO WHAT I'M SAYING...

Reid's statement is foolish in it's own right, but Jadex' suggestion was twice as a$$inine IMO.... You seem to have a problem differentiating the two... In fact, it's your inability to do so which has us in this discussion in the first place...

Reid isn't citing the positions on slavery of ANY particular party from 150 years ago..... He's metaphorically comparing the Reps stance on healthcare today to THOSE LAWMAKERS who opposed the abolition of slavery.... (Again, note that he doesn't say, "Those REPUBLICANS" or "Those DEMOCRATS" that opposed the abolition of slavery.....).

No he isn't. He's comparing the Republicans stance on this issue with a particular stance of 150 years ago (without any mention of parties)....

To re-iterate, I'm not saying what Reid said is kosher either. MY point (which you inexplicably take exception to) is that today's Republican's don't deserve ANY props for what the Republican party did in 1860 as it isn't even the same party!!! And yes, that goes for Dems too... The Dems of today don't deserve ANY credit OR blame for stances taken by Dems in 1860......

If you follow the evolution of the parties you would see that they have more or less flip-flopped on which is conservative and which is liberal, etc...
Can you say total denial? Got them Reid goggles on to tight there.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM

38,768 posts, read 22,593,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Yeah, Southern Democrats like Strom Thurmond, who later converted to a party much more true to his 19th century beliefs, namely the Republicans.
Lame attempt to paint the party as the home of racists, try to explain Robert "KKK" Byrd (D), if you can?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,344,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Can you say total denial? Got them Reid goggles on to tight there.
I could give two craps about Reid.... My comment was regarding Jadex's assertions. You're the one trying to say Reid said essentially the same thing to which I replied he did nothing of the sort...

You took exception to that. I'm showing you the difference.

Methinks you confused yourself somewhere along the line.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 AM

38,768 posts, read 22,593,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Yes, and times have changed. Which is why 95% of the descendants of those slaves vote for Democrats and why there have been 90 African American members of Congress since 1920 who were Democrats and 3 (that's three) who were Republicans.

The Black Republican Caucus doesn't exist because there aren't any.
You are trying to deflect, the facts are, it was the DEMOCRATIC PARTY that filibustered and/or opposed ending slavery, anti-linching laws, and the civil rights acts, and Democrats like Bull Connor who turned fire hoses and dogs on blacks.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,881,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I could give two craps about Reid.... My comment was regarding Jadex's assertions. You're the one trying to say Reid said essentially the same thing to which I replied he did nothing of the sort...

You took exception to that. I'm showing you the difference.

Methinks you confused yourself somewhere along the line.
Majority of blacks dont vote for the party that wanted them to remain slaves? You seem to have a problem with my statement

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,747,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
If the Republicans had wanted to be a part of the process, they could have been a part of it for the 8 years prior during which they controlled the White House and effectively controlled the Congress. They simply don't want to do anything to change the system we have.
I guess it depends on how you define "the process". If by "process" you mean an attempt to put the government in charge of one-sixth of the US economy by moving us toward a single-payer health care system, then you're right. The Republicans didn't spend the last 8 years trying to do that. Instead they proposed measures that would actually help reduce the cost of health care and, by extension, the cost of health insurance. Those measures, such as tort reform and allowing the sale of insurance policies across state lines, were opposed by the Dems. Because the Repubs did not have the majorities needed to pass these measures over the opposition of the Dems nothing was done and the health care "crisis" deepened. Now the Dems, who are partially responsible for creating that crisis want to ride to the rescue to solve it. As Rahm said, a good crisis is a terrible thing to waste--especially one you helped create.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,517,115 times
I am so over this idiot. Cannot stand looking at him, never mind hearing his sad speeches, blaming everyone else for his and the administrations problems, i get sick of it, don't know about many of you, but the man gets on my freakin nerves.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,881,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I haven't heard any of the Democrat apologists call him out on it.
They support their reps insulting citizens. Look at Grayson

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,264,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
source: FOXNews.com - Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery

The democrats are engaging in the same tactics that made the GOP so despised under Bush.
Reid need to realize it was the republicans that ended slaver. it was LBJ and the republicans that passed civil rights.
Blaming others will only go so far. I think he has gone as far as he can blaming others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies