Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:06 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,220,336 times

Advertisements

I see the operative word in that passage as "poor", meaning, I suppose, one who has few material resources to provide for his own needs or the needs of his/her family. Helping that person to get out of poverty, if such is possible, is a noble goal and one that any charitable person can support. As for "there will always be the poor", that could just as easily mean, "there will always be another to take the place of the one you just helped get on their feet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 02:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Jesus told us to always pay our taxes, no matter how high they are.
We make the government a more "Christian" government if we ask the government to help the poor (as the Bible says)

Luke 20:20-26 - BibleGateway.com
Paying Taxes to Caesar

20 Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be honest. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor.
21 So the spies questioned him: "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.
22 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
23 He saw through their duplicity and said to them,
24 "Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?"
25 "Caesar's," they replied.
He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."
26 They were unable to trap him in what he had said there in public. And astonished by his answer, they became silent.
This was regarding a specific tax and in a particular context. He was essentially recognizing the authority of the government to tax. Most people today also recognize the authority, but do not agree with the decisions made regarding taxes.

I thought we weren't allowed to make the governemtn Christian. (I know you didn't mean it literally.)

The broader point is that not wanting universal healthcare does not necessarily put you in contradiction with The Bible. You can take of the poor in other ways.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:07 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I am not a religous person, but there is nothing in that verse that states we should give our money to the goverment so they can distribute it as they see fit to help people. I would strongly argue "charity" is the key word they were shooting for. Churches, whether you like them or not, are undeniably charitable. Most donate through those churches to help provide for the less fortunate. I would assume that a church-goer would have more say in holding the church accountable for properly administering their charitable actions than a US citizen has in holding our government accountable in their "charitable" actions.

Well, somebody has to distribute the money earmarked for healthcare. If it's not the govt or some govt agency, who might that be?

I'm all for churches doing it instead, but churches are donating to their own causes and foreign missions that have nothing to do with getting healthcare for all. That's the problem!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
sigh....for the millionth time......agree with it or not, the poor are provided with health care.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:01 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,314,744 times
I'll lend it to them. When are they going to pay it back?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 PM

216 posts, read 344,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I'll lend it to them. When are they going to pay it back?
Wondered when someone was going to really read that the way it was wrote

Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Well, somebody has to distribute the money earmarked for healthcare. If it's not the govt or some govt agency, who might that be?

I'm all for churches doing it instead, but churches are donating to their own causes and foreign missions that have nothing to do with getting healthcare for all. That's the problem!
That is a good point. Maybe a radically new system not related to a government or a church? I do not really know what that could be, but I bet we could think of a few ways to make it happen. Volunteers, few hours a week, no salary? Who knows lol.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
How do you respond to Deuteronomy 17 verses 7,8 & 11??
I'm not very religious but, I'd like to point out that there's a big difference between being against UHC reform and being against what's currently being proposed.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
How do you respond to Deuteronomy 17 verses 7,8 & 11??

If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother,
but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be

^ I'd guess basic health care would be a 'need'
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.'

^ So much for the "let them get an education and get out of poverty" argument. God says there will ALWAYS be poor people and that His people (whether Jews or Christians) must provide for them
You left out the passage where it say's, " and you shall surrender your money and responsibility unto your government, where as it may take care of these poor as it see's fit". I will keep repeating this as often as is required by ignorant posts such as this....THE BIBLE DOES NOT COMMAND US TO SHIRK OUR RESPOSIBILITIES ONTO THE GOVERNMENT!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This will be a short lived thread. It's amazing how the Christian critics seem to disappear like Jesus's disciples at the trial of their savior when it comes to defending their bible.
Perfectly depicted!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies