Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,899,281 times

Advertisements

A question:

So if this is all presumably true, then how come there aren't more gay Seventh Day Adventist?...

Soy is all they seem to eat and drink.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 02:25 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,604,722 times
It seems that several governments share this concern...
Quote:
ISRAELI HEALTH MINISTER ISSUES SOY WARNING

Scientists, doctors and nutritionists who have warned that soy is not a
health food and poses special risks to infants and children received
support this week from the Israeli Health Ministry, which issued a
health advisory recommending that soy foods be eaten only in moderation...
Articles and Recipes - ISRAELI HEALTH MINISTER ISSUES SOY WARNING

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,166,383 times
Oh dear.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM

I'd also like to ask if any of you bothered to read the rest of the series of articles presented at the WND site, you know, parts 2-5? I found plenty of cites and corroboration for the claims that were made in Part 1, but only because I was willing to read the WHOLE thing.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM

30,464 posts, read 52,176,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'd also like to ask if any of you bothered to read the rest of the series of articles presented at the WND site, you know, parts 2-5? I found plenty of cites and corroboration for the claims that were made in Part 1, but only because I was willing to read the WHOLE thing.
Are you missing the point here? It's a bogus "news source", which basically prints any BS that can support their issue... as I said, I have no problem with that, but I'm not about to waste my time believing it! C'mon, do you really think that eating soy makes people gay?? If so, I think we have bigger issues to discuss...

Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,143,428 times
I am unconvinced.
I thought people were gay because they *chose* to be?!
What I got:
Eating Soy Will Not Make You Gay: From Scientific American (broken link)
Phytoestrogens are estrogen mimics. BUT - get this - they are actually less effective than regular estrogens when they hit estrogen receptors on your cells. That's right - these substances, far from juicing you up with lady-hormones, might actually block the effects of estrogen, which as we all know is a good and important thing if you're a man, since John Wayne is dead and it's on us to pick up the slack. (Riiiight.)

From Snopes messageboard:

Soya contains phytoestrogens (which are actually flavonoids -which we commonly call antioxidants) which act like estrogens (bind to the same receptors, etc). The primary phytoestrogen in soy is: genistein

quote:Genistein has estrogenic and antioxidant activities. It may also have anticarcinogenic, anti-atherogenic and anti-osteoporotic activities.

There is a rather lengthy bibliography at the end.

When I did a search on my science database on "Phytoestrogen" +"infertility" nothing came up about the supposed effect on men. There were some about problems in female mice.

link

Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are you missing the point here? It's a bogus "news source", which basically prints any BS that can support their issue... as I said, I have no problem with that, but I'm not about to waste my time believing it! C'mon, do you really think that eating soy makes people gay?? If so, I think we have bigger issues to discuss...
That's what I mean about READING the article in question. NOWHERE in it does it say that eating soy will 'make you gay'. That's completely absurd. It does, however, go into the physiological changes that happen in fetuses and infants subjected to extremely high levels of estrogen at that critical stage of development.

I would assume that most folks would at least educate themselves as to the article at hand before spouting their unfounded opinions. As I said on page one of this thread, I didn't know ANYTHING about the subject before today. I've spent a few hours doing BASIC research, and preliminary results of that lead me to believe that soy products aren't near as harmless as Cargill and ADM want us to THINK they are.

Next question?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,143,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Next question?
Where is the July 20 Jerusalem Post article which tells us about the warning form the Israeli Health Ministry? It does not show up in the Jerusalem Post archives. When I google it, I just get more versions of the article in Mothering magazine.
I am not going to completely discount this soy story, but I'd like to hear about the "dangers" from more than one source, and I'd like to at least see, from more than Urban Mothering or whatever, the actual Israeli Ministry warning.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,184,495 times
I've done searches for other stories mentioned here at P&oC and often cannot find the original article.

Suspect!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 PM

http://link.toolbot.com/bmj.com/79211

The above link will take you to the British Medical Journal article about the Israeli Health Ministry warning.

Trying to find a Jerusalem Post article about it when the cite for that July 20 date was...
Quote:
According to the Jerusalem Post (July 20), soy is widely used in Israel by people of all ages because it is a cheap substitute for meat and soy infant formula is especially popular among haredi families who choose not to mix milk-based baby formulas with meat meals.
There are some links on the British Medical Journal site that I haven't followed yet, but since the subject has intrigued me I guess I'll check those out next. It looks like New Zealand and Australia have issues with soy, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies