Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Oh please.. give me a freaking break. That's right.. the POOR get free healthcare.. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE POOR HERE.. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE THAT ARE WORKING MIDDLE CLASS. WE ARE ALSO TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WITH HEALTH INSURANCE WHO'S CLAIMS GET DENIED.
Actually we are talking about a roll cal from those with LACK OF INSURANCE, not those with insurance which gets denied..
Quote:
Case in point.. I met a woman the other day that lost her house. Want to know why. Despite her and her husband having good jobs, owning a home and having insurance through their job, when her 38 year old husband developed a brain tumor he got treatment, insurance denied the claims and he racked up $200K in medical bills (more than even his house was worth).. so .. what happened, they declared bankruptcy, lost their house and their debt was "discharged"
BOO HOO HOO..First your example SUPPORTS the fact that people dont DIE over care, or he wouldnt have racked up $200K in medical bills, and second, they declared bankruptcy and lost their house because they didnt have enough INCOME to cover the bills. If they did, they could have filed bankruptcy and KEPT THE HOUSE..
Quote:
And.. what.. unless you find a "free clinic" which doesnt 'exist anywhere you think medical care is FREE because without money you can just get it? LOL>. Drugs stores don't take IOU's for pills that cost more than a persons weekly salary . Are you aware that a week in the hospital could cost you $56K!!! or more..
I'm very well aware of the costs to stay in the hospital.. VERY well aware.. But you just talked about drug stores, and hospital stays in the same paragraph. Which one do you want to talk about? Lack of insurance does not stop one from paying for prescriptions. For many prescriptions there are generic forms and for those there isnt, there are lots of programs available that will get them free or discounted. Stop the boo hoo hoo stories because they arent helping your position.
Quote:
Man.. do some research.. learn what the hell you are talking about before you come out here and rattle your nonsense.

BTW. you didn't answer my question about YOUR LOVED ONES. Are your answers to my posts here acceptable to You when it's your child or your loved one whose life is on the line?
My "loved ones" ALL have health insurance.. I dont.. PULL the plug on me if my expenses get to the point that I become a burdeon.. And yes, I MEAN THIS..
Quote:
And we should certainly spend some of our tax dollars on feeding the hungry int eh world and helping children and people with aids and africa and those dying of malaria.

INstead we use our money to wage wars and bail out billionaires!!
Adds nothing to the topic unless you want to move the discussion away from facts. So you would support feeding the hungry INSTEAD of being selfish and DEMANDING YOUR care? There is only so much money to go around so which is a priority to you? YOUR FREE care, or feeding the poor thereby saving so many more lifes..
Lets do the math
45,000 die from lack of "health insurance" (if indeed this is true)
15,000,000 die from starvation.. So tell me why you think the 45,000 are more important than the 15,000,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,489,813 times
And who were these people and WHY were they uninsured?

I'm still amazed that American doctors will pro-bono themselves out for millions of dollars to save some "case" from another country, but won't find a way to help their fellow American.

To an earlier PREVENTABLE death?

I don't know why hospitals will cover the birth and mom-stay for an illegal or a crack head but won't hand out free sterilization.

Quote:
Lack of Insurance Linked to 17,000 Child Deaths - Healthy Kids and Pediatrics - Information on Children's Health produced by doctors (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=107089 - broken link)
You left out the "MIGHT HAVE" part.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
BUT it's the Repubs fault why they won't as long as they stand in the way of reform.
The Dems don't need any Republicans. They could have passed any healthcare bill they wanted a long time ago.

With the Dems in control just how is it the Repubs fault that nothing has passed ?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,801,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Dems don't need any Republicans. They could have passed any healthcare bill they wanted a long time ago.

With the Dems in control just how is it the Repubs fault that nothing has passed ?
The same goes for the Repubs when they were in power.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Yeah, but when the Democrats move to act without bipartisan support, people start squawking too - it's kind of a dam*ed if you do, dam*ed if you don't scenario.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,446 times
Quote:
Actually we are talking about a roll cal from those with LACK OF INSURANCE, not those with insurance which gets denied..
Yes.. those with LACK OF INSURANCE that are DYING because they can not afford the treatments without insurance and ARE NOT GETTING THE TREATMENT BECAUSE they CANT PAY FOR IT UPFRONT>

Quote:
BOO HOO HOO..First your example SUPPORTS the fact that people dont DIE over care, or he wouldnt have racked up $200K in medical bills, and second, they declared bankruptcy and lost their house because they didnt have enough INCOME to cover the bills. If they did, they could have filed bankruptcy and KEPT THE HOUSE..
Ah.. he had recieved treatment because HE HAD INSURANCE.. and the hospital submitted the bills to get paid by the insurance company.. the insurance company DENIED the claims sticking him with the bill. However, had he not had insurance the hospital wouldn't have performed the treatments or whatever it was he needed without some compensation. If they did, sure he would have received treatment.. adn then declared bankruptcy anyway.

Is that acceptable to you. People receiving treatment, not being able to pay for it and then YOU pay for it? That's acceptable to you?

ARe you aware that hospitals loose 37B a year in uncompensated care? Where do you think they make that up. Let's see .. i believe 20% of it is subsidized by the government and the rest is passed off in raised and overinflated prices to make up the difference.

But that's acceptable to you, obviously Yet you are sooo concerned about having to "pay for someone else's health care".. what a flipping joke!
Quote:
I'm very well aware of the costs to stay in the hospital.. VERY well aware.. But you just talked about drug stores, and hospital stays in the same paragraph. Which one do you want to talk about? Lack of insurance does not stop one from paying for prescriptions. For many prescriptions there are generic forms and for those there isnt, there are lots of programs available that will get them free or discounted. Stop the boo hoo hoo stories because they arent helping your position.
Yup.. I talked about them both..because we are talking about how lack of helath insurance and hence the ACCESS to the medicine kills people.. Those expensive drugs that cost more than people make in a week, or the people you read about who can't fill prescriptions becasue they can't afford the pills.. you don't think they don't die because they are not getting the medicines they need to live?? REally.. ? You truly can't see the correlation between drug stores not accepting and giving care with a "will bill you later"....LOL.. WOW.. Blinders, I see.

They are not helping my position with you.. that's apparent. Your lack of empathy, compassion or even understanding is appauling!

Quote:
My "loved ones" ALL have health insurance.. I dont.. PULL the plug on me if my expenses get to the point that I become a burdeon.. And yes, I MEAN THIS..
LOL. yeah.. okay. your family is going to pull the plug. That's right.. YOU"RE okay , so screw everyone else. Buddy, people have been doing the right things, just like you, yet they find themsevels WITHOUT insurance often through no fault of their own and by doing anything remotely different than what you are doing. You could lose your job or your insurance tomorrow.. Maybe you're willing to pull the plug on yourself, but are you so willing to pull the plug on your family members, your children, your wife..if YOU find yourself in the shoes of so many who probably, at one point or another, thought they were so smart and safe and secure only to find themselves where YOU seem to think YOU are immune from? WOW.. LOL...

Quote:
Adds nothing to the topic unless you want to move the discussion away from facts. So you would support feeding the hungry INSTEAD of being selfish and DEMANDING YOUR care? There is only so much money to go around so which is a priority to you? YOUR FREE care, or feeding the poor thereby saving so many more lifes..
Lets do the math
45,000 die from lack of "health insurance" (if indeed this is true)
15,000,000 die from starvation.. So tell me why you think the 45,000 are more important than the 15,000,000?
[/quote]

So, just because 15M die from starvation world wide we should ignore the 45,000 people that die a year from lack of insurance (by the way.. Look at the SOURCE before you accuse it of being NOT TRUE.. it's a HARVARD study!)..hmm. oka.

First off, the U.S does do things to help fight hunger, starvation and disease in other parts of the world.. hell,we are givign Iraqis FREE HEALTHCARE..... Why can't we do both?

why are we spending money on waging senseless wars and bailing out billionaires on wall street and NOT addressing ALL the issues YOU raise AND the ones about health care in America? You want to now use OTHER problems that should be addressed as well as an excuse to not address something that deserves attention to? Please, your deflections are pathetic. I'm all for my tax dollars going to fix BOTH issues.....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Yeah, but when the Democrats move to act without bipartisan support, people start squawking too - it's kind of a dam*ed if you do, dam*ed if you don't scenario.
No need to make excuses for their incompetence. They ALREADY move without "bipartisan" support. Dont pretend that Republicans get invited to the table to discuss bills because they are not..

Its DEMOCRATS stopping "progress", not Republicans...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

Not to mention the smear campaigns full of complete bull**** the Repubs use to turn public opinion against it..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,965,920 times
Quote:

Denial is a very sad state to live n . I guess ignorance is bliss. You can't find yourself actually caring about something you refuse to look at and/or admit happens.. I guess whatever helps yOU sleep at night
I see the weekly letters penned to Ty Pennington have yet to pay off huh?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No need to make excuses for their incompetence. They ALREADY move without "bipartisan" support. Dont pretend that Republicans get invited to the table to discuss bills because they are not..

Its DEMOCRATS stopping "progress", not Republicans...
Not making excuses, just providing a potential answer to the question of why the Democrats haven't pushed health care reform through yet.

Honestly, I think it's a subset of both Democrats AND Republicans stopping progress - I'm not overly impressed by the fanatics in either party and I'm even less impressed by the "but it's the other guy's fault" posturing, not just over health care, but just about every issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies