Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,643,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think he says things to "stay relevant" because his presidency was a failure.
Carter didn't just retire after his presidency, which is certainly considered one of the worst. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 at the age of 78, for instance, for his work since his presidency. So I seriously doubt that he has to say things to be relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM

1,589 posts, read 3,569,973 times
I have Carter to thank for one reason:

Ronald Reagan!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,410,720 times
I was also a "ProudCapMarine" although I don't display it as my moniker. Fourteen Marines, one navy corpsman, that's the extent of it. No rear echelon to retreat to, pretty much on your own. Half the guys in my unit were from the southern states and carried a confederate flag (that was in 1970)
I won't say that all of them were prejudiced, but the bulk were. That was just how they were raised.
That was my first exposure (at 18) to people from another culture and it opened my eyes. They, the south Vietnamese, had the same concerns as everyone else in the world, and didn't give a dam about politics, just how to figure out how to make ends meet. I was privileged enough, on more than one occasion to be invited into their dirt floor homes, with no running water, and no electricity, to share a meager meal with them.
I don't want to take this off topic, but I certainly recall the racial comments from the southern gentleman in my unit.....slopes, dinks, rice propelled m____ther f____kers.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,645,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Just think if Bush said the same thing.

Bush has much more class than Carter.

Jimmy "Boy" is a disgrace to all politicians, not just the Democrat Party.

He's the racist!!!!!!

But yet, the Democrats think he too is a god.
You're out to lunch. Bush is a fool. Carter is a humanitarian and a statesman and has worked all over the world as an ex-President to make peoples lives better, and he has been successful at it.

Bush will help no one, and after 8 years of his Presidency succeeded only in spreading misery and death

3,301 posts, read 6,351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Jimmy Carter at the 2008 Democratic Convention:
Obama's nomination...."has already sent a wave of approbation and admiration around the world - just knowing that this black..boy, who grew up with a loving mother and grandparents, and that was just about all he had to start with, has now had a chance to be the nominee fro the Democratic party for President"

This is racist?
YES!!!!!!

"Liar" is racist? Only a racist would call it racist!

9,644 posts, read 9,885,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
didn't hear him say it, only heard the reports its written in his book.
You didnt watch the press conference about Rev Wright where he went on about how he cant disown Wright because he is like an uncle to him. IN the same press conference he called his grandmother a typical white person.

So once again. Did you feel the same way when Obama called his grandmother a typical white person. IF he said it in his book and you read his book you seem say it. Just in print instead of out of his mouth. So the original question stands

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
Yes, is there a problem with that? Wife's father was born and raised in Hawaii, and has Hawaiian parentage. Wife's mother was from Japan and has Japanese parentage.

I call myself a Neapolitan Man, because I'm a blend of many races and my kids are absolutely beautiful.
No problem. I just know another poster whose wife's family is Hawaiian and Japanese. Small world.

No doubt your kids are beautiful.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But at Jimmy Carter's age, 47 would be "a boy" in retrospect.

I think this was taken out of context when seen as the "whole" and I would not say it was racist.
I guess "Liar" was put in context.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Carter didn't just retire after his presidency, which is certainly considered one of the worst. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 at the age of 78, for instance, for his work since his presidency. So I seriously doubt that he has to say things to be relevant.
Of course he doesn't have to "say things" to be relevant. I totally agree.
He didn't stop living his life when his Presidency ended. He seems to have moved on quite nicely. Could it be because he is busy giving to others in the world who are less fortunate?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM

53,610 posts, read 35,433,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
This is getting out of hand. Everyone is so hypersensitive that you can say the word "popsicle" and someone will find a racist undertone.
thank a lib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies