Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM

8,650 posts, read 17,280,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - not that I feel that I really owe anyone an explanation, but I moved to marry my wife. I ran out of work where I was at the time, so it was logical for me to join her and not the other way around.

And yes, my country is doing some things pretty well, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the good points about other countries. (I'm on my third one as long-time residence goes, anyway. Changes your perspective on the entire nation-state thing.)

Anyway, I like living in California for now. Seeing as I can't vote (Green Card means taxation without representation - bleh), I try to make my voice heard in politics in other ways.
I've been to four different countries and never once did I go on to a forum and and brag about how great America was while in those countries as a guest.

As a non citizen of this country you have NO say in its politics.

And if this country has given you a green card an allowed you to work to help to support yourself and your wife then you owe taxes and the "'taxation without representation", if you feel that you have been wronged, even you as a non citizen has the rights to our court system..

"not that I feel that I really owe anyone an explanation"

Then my suggestion would be not to do what I mentioned above! Or you may just be questioned on it.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,179,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I've been to four different countries and never once did I go on to a forum and and brag about how great America was while in those countries as a guest.
<shrug> It's an open forum. If people have misconceptions about my home country, I am only too happy to help clear them up.

Quote:
Well, actually, I am perfectly within my rights to support whatever candidates and causes I like with time and money. Which I do.

Quote:
And if this country has given you a green card an allowed you to work to help to support yourself and your wife then you owe taxes and the "'taxation without representation", if you feel that you have been wronged, even you as a non citizen has the rights to our court system..
That was supposed to be a bit of a joke, there. I knew the rules before taking the plunge. It's cool.

Quote:
"not that I feel that I really owe anyone an explanation"

Then my suggestion would be not to do what I mentioned above! Or you may just be questioned on it.
I wasn't aware I'd actually solicited advice, but I'll take your suggestion under consideration.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,465,267 times
Quote:

It was a ligit question, sorry you didn't like it... But that's life now isn't it? And why don't you move there? Those planes fly in both directions.

I'm not the one that came in and talked about how great my country is over America yet I have chosen to live in America for the last seven years. Now there is... "something hypocritical about that?"
No, as Marissa Tomei's character said in "My Cousin Vinny", it was a bullsh** question. We actually know all about them there air flying machines, seeing as how we've done used 'em 18 times in the past 8 years.

You're also dead wrong about what my husband posted, and the purpose of said posts. But we already know you don't read very well. Why don't we move there? As I've already posted, WE PLAN TO RETIRE THERE. And we may decide to move there prior to retirement.

Shock of all shocks, it is possible to find wonderful things to love about living in countries that are not the United States, and still also love living in the United States. The fact that you think there's any contradiction there shows how ignorantly sheltered you are.
Quote:

My husband is not a guest here, he's a legal resident.

And as a legal resident, he most certainly does have a say in our politics. He's even legally allowed to make campaign contributions, as well as campaigning for candidates and issues.

Why don't you go back into the cave you were obviously born in.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 PM

323 posts, read 504,115 times
I'm Norwegian, and have to wait for 5 months if I want to get a medical condition examined at the hospital. I expect the same to go for Denmark, as they have the same type of socialized health care model. The Singaporean private health care, on the other hand, is the best the world has to offer.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:31 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,179,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Stop the BS, you are embarressing yourself. you were doing well up until the bolded part...
The American reputation for being rude tourists seems mostly undeserved to me, but the cliche probably springs from an unfortunate set of circumstances that actually do exist in real life, to wit:

1. Many first-time US tourists make a point of visiting Paris.
  2. Parisians are the closest French equivalent to New Yorkers.
Less-than-seasoned travellers in groups, looking at a city as if it was a giant outdoor museum (which Paris is, in a lot of ways) do not mix well with busy people with things to do, places to be and very little patience for anyone getting in their way.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,067,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The American reputation for being rude tourists seems mostly undeserved to me, but the cliche probably springs from an unfortunate set of circumstances that actually do exist in real life, to wit:

1. Many first-time US tourists make a point of visiting Paris.
  2. Parisians are the closest French equivalent to New Yorkers.
Less-than-seasoned travellers in groups, looking at a city as if it was a giant outdoor museum (which Paris is, in a lot of ways) do not mix well with busy people with things to do, places to be and very little patience for anyone getting in their way.
Thank you for your fair and balanced response. I cant rep you again but it is deserved.

Interesting take on Paris, I have never been there but As I stated before my brother is living in Brussels and when we went to visit late last year he said Paris is a train ride away if you want to go. My wife and I said no thanks, just a gut feeling not to go there like we would not really enjoy it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,439,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
I'm Norwegian, and have to wait for 5 months if I want to get a medical condition examined at the hospital. I expect the same to go for Denmark, as they have the same type of socialized health care model. The Singaporean private health care, on the other hand, is the best the world has to offer.
Yes, but don't forget to say that healthcare over in South Asia is very affordable compared to that of the USA. You may not have to go that far. You can go to South America and get similar services, especially dental work for a fraction of what you pay here, and great work too..(just saying, if you were interested)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Shock of all shocks, it is possible to find wonderful things to love about living in countries that are not the United States, and still also love living in the United States. The fact that you think there's any contradiction there shows how ignorantly sheltered you are. My husband is not a guest here, he's a legal resident.

Why don't you go back into the cave you were obviously born in.
Agreed, that's what irks me with most people here. It's as if people can't be happy anywhere else. That's pure ignorance. I said it before. Plenty people I know living all over the world love where they live, visit the US, with no desire to live here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Great points Jill61.
There are plenty of Americans living all over the world, loving these countries, plenty of retirees stretching their pension/retirement money elsewhere. Just facts....(some people don't need to get riled up over that..it's a fact).

You had me laughing at your last statement..(in bold)...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM

18,176 posts, read 25,418,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Aren't Democrats supposedly the party of diversity? Now you want us to emulate a country twice the size of Massachussets? LOL Whatever floats your boat.
What the hell does promoting diversity have to do with learning something from the way other countries have done?

Try using your brain every now and then.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,439,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the hell does promoting diversity have to do with learning something from the way other countries have done?

Try using your brain every now and then.

Good luck trying to make him do that.....

Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM

481 posts, read 638,380 times
Its funny, liberals love to claim the Danes are so happy is because of their big government, but did you ever stop to consider the countless other variables? For one Denmark is extremely homogeneous when compared to the USA, and that flies in the face of core liberal values which seek to impose multikulturalism. The US will NEVER be like Denmark, no matter how much you increase the size of government.

Last edited by dusk99; 09-01-2009 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies