Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 02:06 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,950,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Denmark is not a high tax economy
Hahahahaha. Whatever you want to believe.

For every hundred you make, you give $50 to the gov't; for every day you work, you work at least one day for free. And you don't think that's high? Damn glad you're not the tax man.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

For every hundred you make, you give $50 to the gov't; for every day you work, you work at least one day for free. And you don't think that's high? Damn glad you're not the tax man.
By European standards, it is not an exceptionally high tax economy.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,942,488 times
Quote:

You are such a tool. You don't think, after all is said and done, after the grand shakeout from the IRS that with all the various insurance rackets and city and state and local and sales and excise and this or the other tax or fee from all the combined services the average American must have that overall 50% or more of your gross income is going to the government or its interests? I figure at least that, maybe more. And we don't have as pretty a country, as clean a country, as safe a country or as happy a country for all that expenditure. Be ashamed, be angry but be informed.

H

Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Default stop making it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are such a tool. You don't think, after all is said and done, after the grand shakeout from the IRS that with all the various insurance rackets and city and state and local and sales and excise and this or the other tax or fee from all the combined services the average American must have that overall 50% or more of your gross income is going to the government or its interests? I figure at least that, maybe more. And we don't have as pretty a country, as clean a country, as safe a country or as happy a country for all that expenditure. Be ashamed, be angry but be informed.

H
I'm a tool and you like your stool pushed in. Awesome. Now that we're introduced...

I net 2/3 of my income and spend an additional ~$50-75/month on various taxes. Putting that in a different light, that is about an additional $1200 a year in various taxes. That is quite below an effective tax rate of 50%.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Methinks your accounting and math skills need a bit of work.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Waiting lists for home/apartment ownership.
That is absolute *******s. I've bought and sold private property in Denmark. Waiting lists for ownership? It's so nonsensical I don't even know where to start.

Interestingly, I've also rented, and again with no waiting list shenanigans.

Obviously, if you want to rent in a specific place or through a specific non-profit - some of which are very well managed or in highly attractive areas, thus providing exceptional value for money - sure, there's a waiting list. What's the alternative - kicking people out because somebody else wants to rent?

So yeah - you're free to buy as much house or apartment as you feel you can afford. And you can rent anywhere there's an open apartment. Only you have to wait for the attractive deals.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,942,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Methinks your accounting and math skills need a bit of work.
Accounting? Math? Where? I think your reading and comprehension skills need a lot of work. There isn't a single value or calculation in my post. I think I've made my point, in any case: after taxes and etc. the average American is not wildly better off than a European. It just seems that way. It is a moot point, in any case since even if tax compliance increased in the U.S., actual satisfaction index would remain the same since the MIC would glom most of it. Relax, you don't need to defend the U.S. so much. Most of us aren't going anywhere. We're stuck here because this is home. That is why we should clean it up.

H

Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,491,276 times
After taxes & mortgage/rent,the Amers are WILDLY better off than the Euros...

Just check the homes,the cars,the luxury items & jewelry Amers buy...

The only tourists in Greece who are not deadbeats are the Amers.
The only ones with disposable income.
The Euros buy ...1 gyros for 2 persons...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is absolute *******s (waiting list for house/apartment). ... Waiting lists... It's so nonsensical...
I cant claim to have all the details mastered but there has to be some truth to this "waiting list" thing I keep reading about. I may have missed the mark applying the list to home ownership? But with rentals, it hints at close to a truth as it is repeated quite often on very neutral web sites. Here is one, Put your name down on a building association waiting list: Finding a place to live - Renting or owning? - Life in Denmark (http://www.lifein.dk/notes/index/show?noteKey=Finding_a_place_to_live_-_Renting_or_owning%3F - broken link)

Here's another one, it's a United Nation Studies. Section 4.4. When a local authority refuses to approve a person as a tenant, the non-profit housing organisation will offer the apartment in question to another person on the waiting list. United Nations Human Rights Website - Treaty Bodies Database - Document - Jurisprudence - Denmark

Quote:
Obviously, if you want to rent in a specific place or through a specific non-profit - some of which are very well managed or in highly attractive areas, sure, there's a waiting list.
Oh so by your own admittance there are waiting lists in regards to property in Denmark.

I'm open minded, use this opportunity to explain the various characterizations of the waiting lists people often cite.

Quote:
You can rent anywhere there's an open apartment. Only you have to wait for the attractive deals.
This is my take. Everyone has equal access to craptacular housing, while the availability of nicer housing is limited. If you like rural/country Denmark, no problem. If you prefer an urban lifestyle and want to live in a nice place in the city (attractive), you have to get on a list and wait.

Last edited by mossomo; 11-19-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM

366 posts, read 297,793 times
I lived in Europe (Germany) for several years. Although I wasn't living on the German "system" because I was a US citizen (Army) living in an apartment I fell in love with the place. Frankly, if I could find work there I would return in a heartbeat. Europe is a fantastic (really, really fantastic) place, and that doesn't diminish my love for the USA one single bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies