Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Who said anything about a plan? You wrote: so who went out and got the uneducated labor to get the job done? I answered that question. If you had asked, "Who put together a plan?" my answer would have been different.
playing games. you understood what i meant and chose to go with a cute answer instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
playing games. you understood what i meant and chose to go with a cute answer instead.
No, I'm not playing games. I don't care what you meant. I answered what you wrote. If you're not writing clearly what you mean, perhaps it is you who are playing games.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
No, I'm not playing games. I don't care what you meant. I answered what you wrote. If you're not writing clearly what you mean, perhaps it is you who are playing games.
it was clear, thats why you understood it perfectly fine. you just chose to play a game instead. if you really wanted to give an answer, you wouldnt have only wrote black tribal leaders. they rounded them up on the africa side but they were procured by whites in america who needed to get the work done.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
it was clear, thats why you understood it perfectly fine. you just chose to play a game instead. if you really wanted to give an answer, you wouldnt have only wrote black tribal leaders. they rounded them up on the africa side but they were procured by whites in america who needed to get the work done.
This is distasteful. It doesn't matter who captured these people, who transported them, or who purchased them. They were people, as good as anyone else, as smart as anyone else, as productive as anyone else, and they were used as livestock. To then diminish the hard work they performed and which helped to build this country, because in that period they were considered less than human is to diminish ourselves. Frankly, the idea that we first have to respect ourselves before we can respect others is garbage. Respect is an acknowledgment of equality and is as dependent on respecting others as it is on our own personal self-esteem.

Just because they were a small minority of the population up until 1960 does not mean that it's okay to say that they, or their contributions, were inferior. Uniformity does not make one superior. A majority of people making the majority of contributions does not make the minority inferior, nor does it make their contributions inferior, it only makes their contributions lesser in number.

A society that only selectively acknowledges the contributions of its members isn't fostering superiority of one group over another, it is fostering discrimination by one group towards another. When this country was founded, and half the population was women, do we now say that this country was built by white men. Because since the women were disenfranchised and not credited for their contributions, should we ignore their contributions? Is it okay when it's done to women, but not to men? Is it okay when it's done to blacks, but not to whites?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Rachel Maddow Eviscerates Pat Buchanan Again - rachel maddow - Gawker

Those who were against Affirmative Action, this should change your mind on the issue. Well at least the very least it should change your pro patriotic view.
Does the left in the U.S. have a female hate spewing ideologue that doesn't look like a butch femme?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 PM

13 posts, read 7,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Having said that, it's also true that the infrastructure and economy of the country was built on the backs of slaves, native peoples and impoverished immigrants of all races.
Native Americans weren't really involved in any sort of infrastructure building, either were African slaves. African slaves were predominately involved in agriculture; slaves were never involved in heavy industry, factories, etc.
It was the immigrants from Europe who worked in the factories and such.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
this thread is the worst yet.

why anyone would want to deny hostorical facts is beyond me. smells of an agenda.

this country was built by lots of different folk. thats the reality.

for those downplaying the manual labor:
next time a firefighter saves a house or kitten or child i will go up to him and ask, "where is the inventor of the firehouse so i can thank HIM (and credit him) for saving this house"

admit, this country was built by many many peoples. whys that so hard for some people to do?

either way, this thread is awful. i really thought we were moving in a progressive direction, but apparently lots of people are stuck in jim crow days...

Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
you dont fool me by throwing sharpton under the bus "blackandproud." you are more of a problem tham sharpton. a racially obsessed person that wants to blend into the mainstream by denouncing the "extremists." as far as im concerned, those people are worse than the extremists.

Here you go again, going the personal route AGAIN. Point to ANY of my posts where I've fed the racial meter. While your at it, look up ALL of my posts where i've distanced and denounced Sharpton's rhedoric. I'm not going to get into another personal attack thread with you AGAIN. I just don't have time to entertain someone else's ignorance.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Does the left in the U.S. have a female hate spewing ideologue that doesn't look like a butch femme?
Wow, homophobic insults. Im not a big fan of the American left, but its no freaking wonder the American right has the public perception as being bigoted right now.

That being said, this thread is a nightmare. It seems to bring out the worst and most hateful in all parties, white and non-white.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
That being said, this thread is a nightmare. It seems to bring out the worst and most hateful in all parties, white and non-white.
Agree 100%.

This thread manages to insult everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies