Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Matt Aune has said he and his partner, Derek Jones, exchanged a modest kiss at the plaza 11 days ago, but church officials contend their behavior was lewd.
You mean they were hoping to get a reaction.

It was intentional and provocative - why else would 2 gay men on Mormon Church property be kissing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
I think we will be a truly enlightened society when people are free to make love on street corners.

All this fear of human sexuality and desire to "abolish" it (yet celebrate war) sickens me.

The hippies were on to something, even if they did take it too far.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You can't ignore the cultural component, however. Even though I am definitely gay, it took me awhile to get used to the idea of seeing two guys kiss and to not feel grossed out about it. I still sometimes feel grossed out when I see it. That's how powerful societal and cultural bias can be. Hopefully, you consider yourself fortunate that you've never had to deal with it in this respect.

If you grow up and you're taught that something is very bad or wrong, you have to work very hard to overcome that, even if your own personal feelings are telling you that it's alright. It's one reason why so many gay men and women struggle with coming out of the closet, and even after they come out, it can take years (or even decades) to fully accept themselves for who they are.

I understand thats the same thing the pedephiles and zoophiles say .

I guess whatever and whoever people want to be with is ok now . I saw several at a parade years ago saying ' sex before 8 or it's too late '. Lesbians dragging little kids in Pride Parades while all kinds of fondling and nakedness was going on .

Also the 3 guys with the horse who busted one of their intestines and killed him ,the other two dropped him off entrance of at er and left .

So where is the limit and who to say ?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think we will be a truly enlightened society when people are free to make love on street corners.
Although I agree with you in theory, I don't even think about the possibility of having that much freedom. Look how many people can't even handle seeing two heterosexuals kissing in public. It's bizarre to me. I'm so glad I can't relate to their oppressive attitudes.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I understand thats the same thing the pedephiles and zoophiles say .

I guess whatever and whoever people want to be with is ok now . I saw several at a parade years ago saying ' sex before 8 or it's too late '. Lesbians dragging little kids in Pride Parades while all kinds of fondling and nakedness was going on .

Also the 3 guys with the horse who busted one of their intestines and killed him ,the other two dropped him off entrance of at er and left .

So where is the limit and who to say ?
Well, the "limit" is whatever the law says it is. Within the boundaries of the law, I think individuals should be able to set limits for themselves.

And I have no idea how your comment about pedophiles or zoophiles was related to anything I said.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Actually, I would be happy if my nephew stumbled across two people kissing passionately, no matter what their sexuality might be. I think it's wonderful to see two people who are comfortable showing affection for each other in public. I don't understand why some people are so against it.

Puritanism is alive and well in America, I guess.
Look where sexual permissiveness got us? skyrocketing teenage pregnancies and STDs! I think we need a healthy dose of "puritanism" in our society.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
No need to feel uncomfortable and get upset. Next time, just make a joke about it. Live and let live.
Not everyone wants to view an x-rated scene while stuck in traffic. Gosh! People need to have some decency! Sheesh!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Quote:
You scolded one of your son's classmates for kissing a girl? Why?

Forget it. I don't agree with causing a disturbance on private property if the owners don't approve of it, but on public property or on the street, you have no right to butt in. No closets for anyone, thank you. If you don't like it, look away.
well you are partially right, look away my ass, I dont take my kids in to seattle, but if you are in my community that is a different story........

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,372 times
Quote:
Well, the "limit" is whatever the law says it is. Within the boundaries of the law, I think individuals should be able to set limits for themselves.

And I have no idea how your comment about pedophiles or zoophiles was related to anything I said.

They are now a part of Pride Parades so I figure homosexuals agree with their right to do whatever they want too .

I was just asking where the line is drawn or is it .

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Look where sexual permissiveness got us? skyrocketing teenage pregnancies and STDs! I think we need a healthy dose of "puritanism" in our society.
When you really think about it, though, why shouldn't teenagers be having sex?

Biologically, they are in their prime between 15 and about 20 for reproduction. They are also at their most eager. Yet, our culture is structured in such a way that we tell them to stop. We then create reproductive health problems by forcing people to wait later and later simply because they are expected to raise the children they bear in our society.

It's pretty stupid when you think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies