Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But they turned off millions of others with their so called protest. They need to take a close look at who really voted in california and accept the reality that it was alot of people not preswayed by anyone but them and such actions.
And, of course, the millions pumped into anti-gay TV and billboards ads, sicne Prop 8 didn't have the numbers to pass before the Mormons and Catholics got invovled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
Just as a church is within it's rights to post anti-gay propeganda (read as lies), the gays are well within their rights to "harrasse" (read as picket) churches.
and the activist gays can also suffer a backlash, right?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,843,363 times
Seeing two men making out makes me physically ill. Do what you want behind closed doors, but don't make the world watch too. The gay community does not win any new friends by being deviant and disgusting.

A kiss-in is very minor compared their anual gay parades that always involve guys in g-strings shaking it and frolicking for the whole world. It is widely understood that men in their undies generally do NOT look good. Changing their sexual orientation does not change their attractiveness.

Why can' t the gay community bring attention to their cause by doing something good for the world? They can do fundraisers for cancer research or feed the hungry or something besides trying to shock people. They might find more acceptance that way.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Straight to the point: I could give a rats ass about homosexuals when this nation is on the brink of economic ruin.

It's time for this nation to focus on our real priorities - none of which have anything to do with homosexuals.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
and the activist gays can also suffer a backlash, right?
Just as any activist can, much like the civil rights activists did, and much like we religious activists still do at times.

But without activism, slavery would've been around a decade or two longer, civil rights wouldn't be in place yet, Loving vs. Virginia wouldn't have been fought and won, 6 states wouldn't recognize basic Equality of Marriage for a Protected Class of citizen, and the VA still wouldn't be putting pentacles on Wiccan soldier's grave markers, just for a few examples.

Whenever anyone steps out and challenges the status quo, there is always an inherent "danger".

Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
sicne Prop 8 didn't have the numbers to pass before the Mormons and Catholics got invovled.
Nonsense. It was the hispanics and blacks who made the difference.

But the liberal, gay activist will not "march" on those people, will they?

Hey Axis; who were you before?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Seeing two men making out makes me physically ill. Do what you want behind closed doors, but don't make the world watch too. The gay community does not win any new friends by being deviant and disgusting.

A kiss-in is very minor compared their anual gay parades that always involve guys in g-strings shaking it and frolicking for the whole world. It is widely understood that men in their undies generally do NOT look good. Changing their sexual orientation does not change their attractiveness.

Why can' t the gay community bring attention to their cause by doing something good for the world? They can do fundraisers for cancer research or feed the hungry or something besides trying to shock people. They might find more acceptance that way.
How about two women kissing? Old people and fat ugly people sucking face gross me out, but I merely look the other way.

Also, "doing good" doesn't cut the mustard.

Despite there being NO valid secular reasoning to deny gays Equality of Marriage, they could "do good" until the end of civilization with no concrete results.

Granted, some parades are quite outlandish, though no more so than some Mardi Gras parades I've been to. They are simply an oppressed minority enjoying their freedom.

Granted there are some rather radical gay activists out there, but no more so than any other segment of US society.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,332,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

OMG! I think I might actually agree with you to some degree on this Chango.

I do think the gay rights cause is legitimate, but I also think they would better serve their interests by taking the "higher road" and demonstrating a sense of respect for the people whom they disagree with, even when those people don't show respect to the gay community themselves. Nothing is solved by a "kiss-in" and that sort of thing only tends to further entrench people in their views. A better approach would have been to fight the citation for tresspassing in court and to launch a campaign to raise money for their community or some worthy cause, thereby improving the public's perception and getting people who are "on the fence" regarding gay rights to be persuaded to support them.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. It was the hispanics and blacks who made the difference.

But the liberal, gay activist will not "march" on those people, will they?

Hey Axis; who were you before?
Hispanics and Blacks who didn't give a crap before the "Gathering Storm" campaign begun. This is the power of the fundamentalist churches, the ability to engage moderate Christians wh other wise don't agree with their doctrines and agendas, thus increasing their political power far past what they normally would be able to.

Because the largest factor in Prop 8 was religious in nature (Romans 1:26), it is therefor illegal. Not only by the US Constitution's Establishment Clause, but by California's Constitution's Establishment Clause as well.

And I'm new here, tho I post under the same name on other forums.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,555,269 times
Quote:
You mean they were hoping to get a reaction.

It was intentional and provocative - why else would 2 gay men on Mormon Church property be kissing?

Because they felt like it?

Mormon/Taliban/Christo-fascist whack-a-loons/Islamo-fascist whack-a-loons, there is not alot of difference when it comes to repression of human rights, only in the methodology.

Making this act an offense where one receives a fine and is handcuffed is pretty pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies