Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

No backpedaling at all. Read what I originally posted...

"Show me a person alive today who was a US slave, and I'll gladly give them everything I own."

...on a thread dealing with US slavery prior to the 13th Amendment when it was legal.

Also, peonage (indentured servitude) is not chattel slavery, care to try again?

Slavery today is illegal, sorry, and has been since 1865. Whether peonage is also illegal remains to be seen.

A story nightline couldn't confirm? Sure. BTW, it would've been easier and quicker to copy/paste the link than typing the sentance you did above, thank me for doing your legwork for you.

No games either.

We are speaking about reparations for the decendants of slaves who were held in bondage when it was a legal US institution.

Do these people deserve reparations from the people who mistreated them? Certainly, if what occured was patently illegal (if it did occur).

However, if you're going to discuss peonage (indentured servitude) start a new thread.

It doesn't belong on a thread about reparations for pre-1865 slavery.
Truly, I'm surprised to see you justifying yourself like this. I haven't weighed in at all on whether or not African Americans should or shouldn't receive reparations at this stage of the game. I merely pointed out that your contention that there are no living people who had been slaves in this country (even giving you the benefit of the narrow definition of slavery related to the Civil War in the South), is factually incorrect. I showed you two women who aren't just direct descendants, but who were still held as slaves as recently as 1960.

And since you made your request in this thread, I can't see why I should have to open a new thread to address it.

Just promise to fork over the dough to these ladies and we can move on. (I mean c'mon, dude, it's not like I have any authority or ability to enforce it now, do I?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Truly, I'm surprised to see you justifying yourself like this. I haven't weighed in at all on whether or not African Americans should or shouldn't receive reparations at this stage of the game. I merely pointed out that your contention that there are no living people who had been slaves in this country (even giving you the benefit of the narrow definition of slavery related to the Civil War in the South), is factually incorrect. I showed you two women who aren't just direct descendants, but who were still held as slaves as recently as 1960.

And since you made your request in this thread, I can't see why I should have to open a new thread to address it.

Just promise to fork over the dough to these ladies and we can move on. (I mean c'mon, dude, it's not like I have any authority or ability to enforce it now, do I?)

There are no living slaves, as pertains to the subject of this thread, alive in this Nation today.

Sorry if you cannot get that simple concept.

And they were not held "as slaves" either, BTW. Indentured servitude, while still reprehensible (and probrably illegal in this coutnry) is not the chattel slavery as it existed prior to 1865.

And it doesn;t amtter if you could enforce it or not. The simple matter is that you are twisting facts to fit your statements in clear intillectual dishonesty.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,318,793 times
One more time as this is getting old.

I OWE NO ONE ANYTHING AND PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES AND STOP BE LAZY ASS BUMS AND BLAME THEIR LIFE FAILURES ON SOMEONE OR SOMETHING.

Get a job, a real job and take care of yourself.

No more handouts to losers.

Again, I owe no one anything so please GET THE HELL OVER IT ALREADY!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 976,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I owe no one a damn thing.

Earn your own keep or starve.
Common decency seems to be kryptonite to you guys.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

There are no living slaves, as pertains to the subject of this thread, alive in this Nation today.

Sorry if you cannot get that simple concept.

And they were not held "as slaves" either, BTW. Indentured servitude, while still reprehensible (and probrably illegal in this coutnry) is not the chattel slavery as it existed prior to 1865.

And it doesn;t amtter if you could enforce it or not. The simple matter is that you are twisting facts to fit your statements in clear intillectual dishonesty.
Well, no one can say I didn't try to dial down the snark.

One of is is being intellectually dishonest, and that's the person who said they'd give everything they own to anyone currently living who had been a (southern) slave, who then backpedaled and tried to redefine the terms when two such people were brought to his attention.

Hasta.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,385,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
One more time as this is getting old.

I OWE NO ONE ANYTHING AND PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES AND STOP BE LAZY ASS BUMS AND BLAME THEIR LIFE FAILURES ON SOMEONE OR SOMETHING.

Get a job, a real job and take care of yourself.

No more handouts to losers.

Again, I owe no one anything so please GET THE HELL OVER IT ALREADY!
I think you owe your English teachers a kick in the pants.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 AM

24,423 posts, read 23,088,846 times
We don't have the money. A few politicans might give this idea lip service but nobody would ever seriously consider it. Imagine an entire party being voted out of office en masse for even suggesting this? They're ready to drop health care reform over that risk and thats nowhere near as politically suicidal as this.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
If we start making "reparations" not to the actual slaves--all of whom died generations ago--but to their descendents, then shouldn't we also make reparations to the countries they originally came from, since those lands were deprived of their citizenry? Oh what the hell...it's only a few hundred million. We can print that much money up in a jiffy!

Alternatively, shouldn't Great Britain have to make the reparations, since they were the ones who started bringing slaves to this continent?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think you owe your English teachers a kick in the pants.

We did not have English teachers in my school, they were out side showing kids how to play bassskeeetball.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Common decency seems to be kryptonite to you guys.
What does decency have to do with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies