Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm sure the Wall family will be thrilled to hear that.

Slavery continued until 1961 for Wall family (http://nubianwaves.com/blog/slavery-continued-until-1961-for-wall-family/ - broken link)

YouTube - STILL ALIVE: Man, 108, Enslaved in United States

The Last Slaves of Mississippi?

What an absolute nightmare. Do you know if the families involved in this were ever prosecuted? If they weren't, any of them still alive should be. And there ought to be survivors as apparently several white families 'owned' these people.

But as horrible as this families life was it in no way indicts the US as a whole. They were abused by horrible people, people who ought to not only serve time in prison but also the surviving 'slave' family members ought to be able to bring numerous civil suits against the surviving white families.

As I said - I wonder if they have done this and if not why not? I would hope a lawyer would have taken their case when their situation was brought to light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,796 times
to auxi: this repiration talk isnt new its been around and many who are decendants of slaves have died. the black wall street conflict have yet to be paid. the american goverment are waiting for them to die off as well.

your grandparents and gr grandparents generations destroyed black neighborhoods by burning them down at their success.

when black militant groups formed to defend black neighborhoods what are they called=terrorist

Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,201,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Show me a person alive today who was a US slave, and I'll gladly give them everything I own.
My wife wanted to tie me up, whip me, and call me her slave. Does that count?

Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AxisMundi
Show me a person alive today who was a US slave, and I'll gladly give them everything I own.

many decendants are still alive, children of slaves...other than that your a liar.
bottom line this nation benefited from slavery and institutions as well

Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM

454 posts, read 796,419 times
I'm a single black mother who owns a million dollar home outright. And a well-paid professional to boot!

(not that it really matters, but it should p-off the bigots here as much as their worthless tripe annoyed me)

Old 08-24-2009, 02:35 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
actually people who focus and give attention to those two are just as race card players as they accuse other of being. one thing i learned when these two are right and people dont like it, they somewhat always claim they are using the race card and if you disect the situation in most cases race is involved in lots of the situations. when people say nothing and or do nothing others get away with bad behaviour.

when you put them on front street the behaviour ceases thanks to al and jesse and others who fought since the civil rights era and continue to this day
Care to site an example of "when they were right" within the past few decades?

The Civil Rights era was ABOUT Civil Rights.

Al and Jesse are ABOUT watching out for themselves.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,385,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
I'm a single black mother who owns a million dollar home outright. And a well-paid professional to boot!
You own a well paid professional

Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times
Quote:

Let's see, the 13th Amendment was ratified in 1856.

If these women are alive today and were "held as slaves" in the US when slavery was legal, that would make them...

153 years old this year.

Strange, I don't see them in the Guiness Book of Records for being the oldest people alive.

And no, I didn't see your links, please post again. I would like to see people 153 years old.
Way to backpedal there! I love all the conditions you're now trying to go back and apply to your original statement, which was, in its entirety:
Quote:

I showed you two. They were slaves in the U.S. as recently as 1961 and are both still alive today. Their "masters" never informed them that slavery had been abolished and they had no means of learning this, since they were cut off from the rest of the world.

Note that I didn't even try to stretch your meaning to include all the modern-day slaves who are brought here for the sex industry or to pay off debts in their homeland. No, I gave you two women who are a continuation of the practice of black slavery in the South from pre-Civil War days. They were, themselves, kept as slaves. You said if you were shown a person alive today who was a slave in the U.S., you would give them everything you own.

I showed you Mae and Annie Miller.

Now you're just playing games to get out of being a man of your word. Shame on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

What an absolute nightmare. Do you know if the families involved in this were ever prosecuted? If they weren't, any of them still alive should be. And there ought to be survivors as apparently several white families 'owned' these people.
I have no idea where things stand, legally, with these women. I don't believe the original slave-holder is still alive, and family members are, naturally, denying this could've been possible, even though they have no first-hand knowledge against the claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping!

But as horrible as this families life was it in no way indicts the US as a whole. They were abused by horrible people, people who ought to not only serve time in prison but also the surviving 'slave' family members ought to be able to bring numerous civil suits against the surviving white families.
I don't think it indicts the U.S. as a whole. But there's no denying that there has been fallout from the actions of the U.S. that far outlived the ratification of the 13th amendment. I hope these women get to see some kind of justice, but I don't hold out any hope of that.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Care to site an example of "when they were right" within the past few decades?

The Civil Rights era was ABOUT Civil Rights.

Al and Jesse are ABOUT watching out for themselves.
jena 6 is one they were right on the money
the incident with the stripper tramp they were wrong
willie horton commericals

Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,686,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post

(not that it really matters, but it should p-off the bigots here as much as their worthless tripe annoyed me)
That is fantastic. Congratulations on your success, as I am sure that you worked very hard to get there. I do not know of a single wealthy individual who did not work hard to achieve thier status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies