Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,953,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
WHAT???? What black people are you talking about?
Shhh, I know, I know, I'm with you on that, but let a brother work it for the crowd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I do not think about reperations but there is a reason why this subject keeps coming up. Freedman were promised at least 40 acres during the Civil War and when that land was given to the Freedman, it was then taken back and returned to the slaveowners. Hence, reperations are only about receiving what was promised and then taken away from the freed slaves, which may have been passed down to their descendents.

Some of you may think it is a joke or come with the attitude of who cares, but I believe that land ownsership has been proven to be one of the stabilizing forces of the middle class in this country and has allowed generations to build upon that status, thereby stablizing communities.

Just curious, was there an outcry when the Jewish people were paid reparations from Germany?
Was there an outcry due to Japanese Americans receiveing reperations from America?
Was there an outcry from America when land that was promised and given to freed slaves were taken away and given back to slaveowners?
Was there an outcry when descedents of slaveowners benefited from over 200 years of labor from American slaves?
Was there an outcry that this labor effectively eliminated any kind of inheritance that could have been passed on to the descendents of these slaves?
As far as I know there has been no outcry from the general public about any of these but mention African Americans and reperations....oh boy, they are at again.

Realistically, I do not believe that reperations will even be given and I really am not looking for it or thinking about it but I do understand where it is coming from and that is something that I can respect.
It was illegal for the feds to promise that to them in the first place, but the promise of free land certainly won votes.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM

558 posts, read 819,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
don't you know by now that if black people truly wanted something from you we would just simply take it and dare you to try and stop us? The vast majority of black people in the US don't want reparations, we want an end to institutional racism.
So make it happen and quit crying about it, tough guy.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,741 times
Quote:
It is clear from this post that you don't even know what institutional racism is, do you?
I certainly do.

Racism, of any sort, will never be compeltely obliterated. The best we can hope to accomplish is to drive it "into the closet", ie people keep it to themselves.

And attempting to legislate racism away is not only a doomed-to-fail proposal, but only goes to further the racist mentality as well.

Programs liks AA (and "hate crimes") only go to foster racism, not only directly, as in perfectly qualified people getting passed over for an employment/student position, but also by formenting the false idea that minorities are in NEED of special considerations because they are somehow "sub-standard".

This even applies to the youth of said minority as well, by fostering within them the false idea that they are indeed marginalized due to some imaginary sence of sub-standard intelligence and/or ability that these programs facilitate, that they would otherwise be unable to "make it" without these programs. This is, of course, a lie.

Race Card player, like Sharpton/Jackson, simple foster these false ideals of marginalization and sub-standard-ness to further their own personal agendas.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It was illegal for the feds to promise that to them in the first place, but the promise of free land certainly won votes.
No, it was not promised to them by the Feds.

It was Sherman who promised this in his "Order 14", an order later recinded by the Feds, ie Johnson, sicne Sherman did NOT ahve the authority to do this.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,655,353 times
Quote:
Your deficiencies as a human being are of no concern of ours. It's not our fault that you and your ancestors were and are too cowardly to stand up for your own human dignity.
Our human dignity came at the price of self sufficiency.

To each his own -- just don't be surprised that those that beg for money aren't respected.

Now if you want to talk about institutional racism - that is a different topic and something that cannot be cured by the magic of reparations.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,840,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
"Just when you think it's safe"

Reparations Disclaimer on Slavery Apology Stirs Backlash Among House Dems - Political News - FOXNews.com

This isn't even doing anything other than saying the resolution can't be used as legal grounds for it and we have congressmen crying about it.

I swear this brilliant idea just won't die. It's far WORSE than a bad cold.
of course this brilliant idea wont die for white folks, if you ask me slavery shouldnt be the issue post slavery should because blacks lost many lives, properties, and values at the hands of racists

Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Clearly you did not either read the links I provided, or watch the video.

Those women, themselves, were kept as slaves.

You owe them all your assets now.
Let's see, the 13th Amendment was ratified in 1856.

If these women are alive today and were "held as slaves" in the US when slavery was legal, that would make them...

153 years old this year.

Strange, I don't see them in the Guiness Book of Records for being the oldest people alive.

And no, I didn't see your links, please post again. I would like to see people 153 years old.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,953,556 times
Hmmm. Hot topic. I agree with N.G. even if he doesn't know it. I've never personally sought reparations. My comment was that I do not think the 'concept' of reparations to be "ridiculous". Since there are all those precedents for reparative actions towards wronged peoples why not the descendants of African slaves? On and on about black success... there are supposed to be 63 black CEO's of Fortune 500 institutions, there are 5. There are over 3 million black men dead or imprisoned making for the largest male/female ratio inequality in the world. The black unemployment rate is 5x higher than for non-black Americans. That is institutionalized racism. There are more examples: a black person is 545x more likely to be imprisoned for the same offense as a white person. Some white people like to bury their messes behind a statute of limitations and hold their heads high as they make their priviliged way through life. They defend and foster illegal immigration so they can have their cheap labor but claim that it is voluntary. This, after the disaster of the Civil War. Luckily, some lessons can be learned. It would be nice, wouldn't it, if the whole sorry business could just go away with a few million checks and one way tickets to West Africa. Sorry, its not that easy. America and Britain have ruined Africa for its citizens and their diaspora. I no more want to go to Africa than any of the white commenters in this discussion. Nor should I have to. If we are to call on our leaders to drop the case for reparations then we need a reason. The ending of institutionalized racism would be one.

H

Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,840,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I certainly do.

Race Card player, like Sharpton/Jackson, simple foster these false ideals of marginalization and sub-standard-ness to further their own personal agendas.
actually people who focus and give attention to those two are just as race card players as they accuse other of being. one thing i learned when these two are right and people dont like it, they somewhat always claim they are using the race card and if you disect the situation in most cases race is involved in lots of the situations. when people say nothing and or do nothing others get away with bad behaviour.

when you put them on front street the behaviour ceases thanks to al and jesse and others who fought since the civil rights era and continue to this day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies