Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,351,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
As a matter of fact, one poster said it's not what he says but what he DOESN'T say that is important.
I've read online reactions along those lines today. Somebody...I forget who...was criticising Obama for never once using the word "terrorism." Instead he used "violence." *roll eyes at the stupidity of that complaint*

Ari Fleischer (sp?) criticised the speech for being "too balanced."

There are certain people who just won't be happy if they're not hearing the hatemongering "axis of evil" rhetoric that Bush spouted at every opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 PM

18,232 posts, read 25,553,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Lets face it, what most Arabs were thinking (but not saying) was get your money and weapons out of israel so we can destroy that illegitimate state once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides having the republican superpower of reading people's mind...
you can also speak arabic?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,190,963 times

YouTube - Krauthammer on Obama's Cairo speech

I love this analysis by Krauthammer.

Don't miss the end - a comparative analysis of the oppression of women between arab states and the US.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,505,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Muslims are clearly not the problem. It is the extremists that wreak havoc. How is he going to win over the people that prefer to die? Giving a speech?
You don't try to win them over, you simply plant a seed of doubt in those that are already radical while attempting to show respect and reach a common ground with the vast majority that aren't. The point is to prevent furture radicalism. A wonderful speech is a start..

What's your alternative??

Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM

221 posts, read 220,220 times
Quote:
Don't we already have a common ground with those that aren't radicals (for the most part)?
You are right that the speech i a start. I get annoyed when i hear people say this speech will not stop the hatred and violence. President Obams has never said his speech is a magic wand. He knows that peace is a step at a time. Pres.Obama has now taken the first step forward. Other Presidents just took steps backward. Well done Mr President-- Our President and commander in chief, we are proud of you.

2,709 posts, read 6,351,583 times
Quote:
Muslims are clearly not the problem. It is the extremists that wreak havoc. How is he going to win over the people that prefer to die? Giving a speech?
I'd like to suggest that his goal should not be to "win over the people that prefer to die." But there are millions (billions!) of Muslim people who are not extremists and who will judge us and take sides based on our actions and behavior and, yes, the words we use. In watching Obama's speech, my take was that he was addressing THESE people, not the extremists.

In the speech Obama spoke of the contributions Islam has made to civilization as a whole. And of course he's absolutely correct. And he spoke of Islam's connection to our own American story. He gave credit to the Muslims who have fought as Americans in our wars, served in our government, enriched our national character in numerous ways.

He said in the speech:
Quote:
So I have known Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first revealed. That experience guides my conviction that partnership between America and Islam must be based on what Islam is, not what it isn't. And I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.
He then added:
Quote:
But that same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire.
And he pointed out to his Muslim audience that even though the perception is that we are a Christian nation, there are over 1,200 mosques in our country...at least one in every state.

He summed up that part of his speech by speaking to our common aspirations:
Quote:
to live in peace and security; to get an education and to work with dignity; to love our families, our communities, and our God. These things we share. This is the hope of all humanity.

11,448 posts, read 14,542,322 times
Of course the GOP is attacking what they felt he should have said. Why do the Republicans always attack silence? Seems like such a cop out. Anybody can argue what you didn't say, you can argue against what ever you dream up then. I guess that's the point though....

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,045,007 times
Quote:

Oh, there are several speeches that have come to us that are sometimes
remembered...Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech, the Gettysburg Address,
FDR's "We have nothing to fear but fear ityself," speech, JFK's Inauguration
Speech...and that isn't counting the great orators and philosophers of antiquity. Today, when President Obama tacitly cited our overthrow of the
Iranian government in 1953, it was huge in its implications. We have lost so
much prestige throughout the world due to such manipulations of the lives of so many people. Zbigniew Brzenski discussed the speech on MSNBC tonight and was impressed with President Obama's "gutsiness."
The more moderate Muslims that his speech can affect in a positive way, the more there will be enouraging their families and friends to move away from extreme fundamentalist terrorism. You cannot win the hearts and minds of people through violent force. (That's probably in a speech; don't know who to cite ). President Obama spoke to the Middle East in a way
that is unique, and unique to Obama simply because of his life experiences.
I thought he knocked it outta the park!

New-Mona, welcome to the forum, and please sign me up for the group
tour!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,086,690 times
Quote:

Uh, yes. It's a start. And you may not win over those that prefer to die but you can certainly have the non-radical Muslims ostracize them and stamp out the radical types. It's a heck of a lot better than going to war and having men and women die in another country.

Forging a more positive bond with Islam is a good thing. It's all about something called "communication" and I think a direct speech in an Islamic country is far better than an "open letter to all Muslims."

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,157,817 times
You know, it felt pretty darn good to know our president was making a speech that would be heard all over the world and NOT feel like I wanted to hide my face in shame. I can't say that I agree with everything that the President has done so far but I sure like the idea of an intelligent, thoughtful person being our face to the world. Makes a nice change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies