Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times

Advertisements

transcript:
Barack Obama speech: the full transcript - Telegraph

video:
C-SPAN Video Player - Pres. Obama Speaks to the Muslim World From Cairo (http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/06/04/HP/R/19357/Pres+Obama+Speaks+to+the+Muslim+World+From+Cairo.a spx - broken link)
So long as our relationship is defined by our differences, we will empower those who sow hatred rather than peace, and who promote conflict rather than the co-operation that can help all of our people achieve justice and prosperity. This cycle of suspicion and discord must end.
I do so recognising that change cannot happen overnight. No single speech can eradicate years of mistrust, nor can I answer in the time that I have all the complex questions that brought us to this point. But I am convinced that in order to move forward, we must say openly the things we hold in our hearts, and that too often are said only behind closed doors. There must be a sustained effort to listen to each other; to learn from each other; to respect one another; and to seek common ground. As the Holy Koran tells us, "Be conscious of God and speak always the truth." That is what I will try to do – to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 06:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
I beat you by a second you snake! But I have to admit that you have added a video link so... you win.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 AM

d'oh! Mods, could you please close this thread?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
d'oh! Mods, could you please close this thread?
No, no, please close mine. This one has video...

Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 AM

After you. Oh no! You first! Please! Thank you!

YouTube - Gopher Broke

Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
transcript:
Barack Obama speech: the full transcript - Telegraph

video:
C-SPAN Video Player - Pres. Obama Speaks to the Muslim World From Cairo (http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/06/04/HP/R/19357/Pres+Obama+Speaks+to+the+Muslim+World+From+Cairo.a spx - broken link)
So long as our relationship is defined by our differences, we will empower those who sow hatred rather than peace, and who promote conflict rather than the co-operation that can help all of our people achieve justice and prosperity. This cycle of suspicion and discord must end.
I do so recognising that change cannot happen overnight. No single speech can eradicate years of mistrust, nor can I answer in the time that I have all the complex questions that brought us to this point. But I am convinced that in order to move forward, we must say openly the things we hold in our hearts, and that too often are said only behind closed doors. There must be a sustained effort to listen to each other; to learn from each other; to respect one another; and to seek common ground. As the Holy Koran tells us, "Be conscious of God and speak always the truth." That is what I will try to do – to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart.
I read the entire speech and I must say he did a great job of walking the thin line. I only hope it was well accepted by the Muslim countries and Muslims in the US. I find nothing he said that should be offensive to Muslims but then again I am not a Muslim.

There were references to women that may have sounded threatening to anyone that thinks women should play a certain role in the Muslim faith but he also said that we should respect the choice of women that fill that role willingly.

I respect those women who choose to live their lives in traditional roles. But it should be their choice.

He ended with this and I am sure some people will be irritated with his many references to God but...

The Holy Bible tells us, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

The people of the world can live together in peace. We know that is God's vision. Now, that must be our work here on Earth. Thank you. And may God's peace be upon you.

Overall I must say his speech was the best one could hope for. Let's hope the rest of the world sees it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies