Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,473,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The torture center at GITMO needs to be closed because it cannot provide useful information and brings shame on all of us. Not closing that place is one of the problems I am having with this administration.

I voted for President Obama and I do not worship him, or anything else, I am not living any kind of lie and I am not, and never have been a sheeple.

I suggest you go beyond the propoganda you are listening to and take a look around instead of being a parrot for the zelots.
I still don't think we've agreed that what was known to be used during interrogations was torture, that's a subject for another thread.

But regardless, can't we change procedures without changing the location that they are carried out? I can only assume that Obama has already made those changes so why then should we be changing where it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You'd prefer a Decider-like snap decision and no deliberation, no plan? They have to get prisons on board and correctly, all that hammered out. They have to find other countries and see who'll come aboard. For starters.
It already looks like it was in fact a snap decision. Giving a deadline without a plan as to what where or how we are going to do it.
I just heard on the news that the Senate voted to not fund the the closing of Gitmo. That doesn't sound like a plan to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,356,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Because the senators and representatives are getting their panties twisted in a bunch, from fear of people hating them for putting them on "their land". Gitmo is there, so these people can keep a place where all laws and sanity cease to exist. Its all about... as long as its not me.
Montana wants them, but only if profitable enough to finance our secession.

Al Jazeera English - Americas - Smalltown USA's Guantanamo hopes

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,234,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I still don't think we've agreed that what was known to be used during interrogations was torture, that's a subject for another thread.

But regardless, can't we change procedures without changing the location that they are carried out? I can only assume that Obama has already made those changes so why then should we be changing where it is done.

It already looks like it was in fact a snap decision. Giving a deadline without a plan as to what where or how we are going to do it.
I just heard on the news that the Senate voted to not fund the the closing of Gitmo. That doesn't sound like a plan to me.
It absolutely sounds like a plan to me.
In closing remarks, Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Obama’s failure to present more of a plan upfront “fell smack dab into the trap” of allowing opponents to define the issue as one where the administration would be releasing detainees into communities around the nation.

“We have maximum security prisons in California eminently capable of holding these people as well and from which people — trust me — do not escape,” Feinstein told her colleagues. “So I believe this has really been an exercise in fear baiting.”
Obama will try to regain the initiative in a speech Thursday when he is expected to address the “grid” of security and values issues raised by Guantanamo. A special executive task force is slated to report in July, shedding more light on how the Defense and Justice departments would carry out the closing by next January. But unless the president is able to convince lawmakers to allow some prisoner transfers into the U.S. the whole timetable is in jeopardy.

Senate pulls Gitmo closure funding - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM

78,784 posts, read 60,983,135 times
Obama is in the same catch-22 as Bush. Release the 7 or so guys from western China and they will be back to their tricks....or give them to the Chinese govt. and they'll be executed.

It was an election talking point. Remember both parties are different in word but very similar in deed. With the dems controlling everything right now....they'd better also deliver on healthcare and a number of other things as they have no excuses.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM

519 posts, read 690,087 times
Quote:
It absolutely sounds like a plan to me.
In closing remarks, Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Obama’s failure to present more of a plan upfront “fell smack dab into the trap” of allowing opponents to define the issue as one where the administration would be releasing detainees into communities around the nation.

“We have maximum security prisons in California eminently capable of holding these people as well and from which people — trust me — do not escape,” Feinstein told her colleagues. “So I believe this has really been an exercise in fear baiting.”
Obama will try to regain the initiative in a speech Thursday when he is expected to address the “grid” of security and values issues raised by Guantanamo. A special executive task force is slated to report in July, shedding more light on how the Defense and Justice departments would carry out the closing by next January. But unless the president is able to convince lawmakers to allow some prisoner transfers into the U.S. the whole timetable is in jeopardy.

Senate pulls Gitmo closure funding - David Rogers - POLITICO.com
Then why aren't they in California? Just as someone said earlier: there are votes to be lost the moment that happens. Feinstein is the perfect example of a politician fear baiting with those asinine remarks. She knows the fallout that would come from putting those prisoners in her district, yet she continues to make idiot partisan remarks. And people fall for this crap? Unbelievable.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Then why aren't they in California? Just as someone said earlier: there are votes to be lost the moment that happens. Feinstein is the perfect example of a politician fear baiting with those asinine remarks. She knows the fallout that would come from putting those prisoners in her district, yet she continues to make idiot partisan remarks. And people fall for this crap? Unbelievable.
"Idiot partisan remarks" from Inhofe et al. are what scuttled this present allocation.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Why not just construct a special facility at Ground Zero, NYC - Put them there for tourists to look at, but throw Rumsfeld and his gang in there with them.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 PM

519 posts, read 690,087 times
Quote:
"Idiot partisan remarks" from Inhofe et al. are what scuttled this present allocation.
You miss the point completely. Feinstein continues to make partisan remarks - as an attempt to assign blame to the GOP - when in fact NO politician from EITHER party want any of this scum in their communities. Why this continues to be a partisan issue is utter BS. They all are backed in a corner, so why spew partisan drivel when it has nothing to do with it? They're all in the same boat!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You miss the point completely. Feinstein continues to make partisan remarks - as an attempt to assign blame to the GOP - when in fact NO politician from EITHER party want any of this scum in their communities. Why this continues to be a partisan issue is utter BS. They all are backed in a corner, so why spew partisan drivel when it has nothing to do with it? They're all in the same boat!
I see what you mean, and they do all spew partisan drivel. A place in Montana came on board the other day, though.

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/15695/http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/15695/ (broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
And the boat's name is: Window Dressing.

Closing down Guantanamo was nothing more than hollow image-changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies