Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This report is over 500 pages. Since you are so knowledgeable, give me the quotes out of this report that back up the terrorist camps in Iraq theory.
Bin Ladin was also willing to explore possibilities for cooperation with Iraq, even though Iraq’s dictator, Saddam Hussein, had never had an Islamist agenda—

To protect his own ties with Iraq,Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad’s control

There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.

Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995.

There are more, and yes, I have read it cover to cover.

p.s. we've really swayed from the original posting where you claimed that Republicans impeached over "sex", which is wrong, they impeached for lying to a grand jury, and they would not impeach over alleged war crimes, wrong again because Democrats would have to be the party to impeach, they are the party who held Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Was there a hearing I missed that declared the Bush Administration did not torture?
A letter to the editor? You can't be serious.[/quote]

The letter to the editor stated the entire issue eloquently. If you want the facts read the recently released torture memos and compare them with this law.

The War Crimes Act of 1996, a federal statute set forth at 18 U.S.C. § 2441, makes it a federal crime for any U.S. national, whether military or civilian, to violate the Geneva Convention by engaging in murder, torture, or inhuman treatment.

Link to tortlure memos:

American Civil Liberties Union : Office of Legal Counsel Memos : Bush Administration Torture Memos : Bradbury Memos, Bybee Memo

Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bin Ladin was also willing to explore possibilities for cooperation with Iraq, even though Iraq’s dictator, Saddam Hussein, had never had an Islamist agenda—

To protect his own ties with Iraq,Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad’s control

There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.

Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995.

There are more, and yes, I have read it cover to cover.

p.s. we've really swayed from the original posting where you claimed that Republicans impeached over "sex", which is wrong, they impeached for lying to a grand jury, and they would not impeach over alleged war crimes, wrong again because Democrats would have to be the party to impeach, they are the party who held Congress.
There is nothing in this that states ANYONE involved in 9/11 was in Iraq at the time.

My thread has more to do with why we the GOP is not for investigating crimes of the Bush Administration when they were gun-ho on getting Clinton. Clinton may have lied about personal affairs, and the House did vote to impeach him. But this impeachment had nothing to do with national security.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The War Crimes Act of 1996, a federal statute set forth at 18 U.S.C. § 2441, makes it a federal crime for any U.S. national, whether military or civilian, to violate the Geneva Convention by engaging in murder, torture, or inhuman treatment.
For the last time, waterboarding, is not LEGALLY torture. Again, one might argue that it should be torture, but until the DEMOCRATS make it so, its not..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
There is nothing in this that states ANYONE involved in 9/11 was in Iraq at the time.
Never Bush, or I have ever claimed that there was.

Quote:
My thread has more to do with why we the GOP is not for investigating crimes of the Bush Administration when they were gun-ho on getting Clinton. Clinton may have lied about personal affairs, and the House did vote to impeach him. But this impeachment had nothing to do with national security.
Your thread is mis-guided, the GOP is not incharge of investigating crimes, Democrats are, they have held Congress for 2 1/2 years now.

Clinton lied to a GRAND JURY, had you or I lied to a grand jury, (even over a bj) we'd very likely end up in jail.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
For the last time, waterboarding, is not LEGALLY torture. Again, one might argue that it should be torture, but until the DEMOCRATS make it so, its not..
Quote:
“If you look at the history of the use of that technique, ” Holder replied, “we prosecuted our own soldiers for using it in Vietnam. … Waterboarding is torture.”
Eric Holder: Waterboarding is torture - Chicago Tribune

Who told you that waterboarding is NOT torture, Bush and Cheney?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,345,271 times
Quote:
I've heard of it (waterboarding) being torture if it last more than 40 seconds. It lasted only 20-40 seconds when it was done to certain terrorists.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,729,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Bush, Cheney, etc. need to be prosecuted. Period.

Unfortunately, everyone in Washington is so locked into their respective parties and will tolerate almost any behavior from the members of their parties. It's dispicable.
Plenty of Dem's knew about water boarding. If Obama's kids were going to get their heads cut off he would order it in a second...Who's kidding who here.

Carrie

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM

[quote=pghquest;8671496]Never Bush, or I have ever claimed that there was.
QUOTE]

You are arguing in circles. Following is a paste from a previous post of mine with your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
Why didn't Bush deal with those who caused 9/11 rather than direct our resources elsewhere?

Because SOME of them were IN Iraq..

I'm sure the administration was thinking,
Hey, we can take care of the terrorist camps, the WMD's and Saddam who was terrorising his own people, all in one fast sweep.. No one thought it would drag on..

Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've heard of it (waterboarding) being torture if it last more than 40 seconds. It lasted only 20-40 seconds when it was done to certain terrorists.
This is splitting hairs but I'll play. How long were the detainees at Gitmo waterboarded for. Links or facts to back up the time limits and how the time limits were followed please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies