Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM

240 posts, read 352,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Loving v. Virginia was about interracial marriage. You know full well that sex and race have been interpreted as having different levels of protection under the 14th Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Then again, "gay" is not a race so it really is 2 different things now isn't it?
Republican Chairman Michael Steele (a black man, in case you hadn't noticed) said that being gay is like being black.
Q. Do you think homosexuality is a choice?
A. Oh, no. I don't think I've ever really subscribed to that view, that you can turn it on and off like a water tap. Um, you know, I think that there's a whole lot that goes into the makeup of an individual that, uh, you just can't simply say, oh, like, "Tomorrow morning I'm gonna stop being gay." It's like saying, "Tomorrow morning I'm gonna stop being black."

Human Nature : Blacks, Gays, and Michael Steele

Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,099 times
Michael Steele - 2012 woohoo

Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 PM

654 posts, read 466,484 times
  • Gays cannot have a non-U.S. spouse become a full citizen.
  • Gays cannot collect social security benefits upon death of a spouse.
  • Gays cannot file jointly as a married couples at both the state and federal level
  • Gays cannot openly serve in the military
  • Gays do not pay state taxes when they transfer gifts, but are required to report federal taxes.
  • Gays cannot make medical decision for the partners outside the registered state
  • Gays may receive state benefits in regards to civil unions, but on a federal level they do not receive the same 1,049 federal rights, benefits, and privileges that are awarded to heterosexual couples.
http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/og97016.pdf

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 05-01-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Michael Steele - 2012 woohoo
Nah, he might be too realistic about the world for the Republican Party. Someone here last night said his dream ticket for 2012 is Palin/Bachmann. And he was serious.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Republican Chairman Michael Steele (a black man, in case you hadn't noticed) said that being gay is like being black.
Q. Do you think homosexuality is a choice?
A. Oh, no. I don't think I've ever really subscribed to that view, that you can turn it on and off like a water tap. Um, you know, I think that there's a whole lot that goes into the makeup of an individual that, uh, you just can't simply say, oh, like, "Tomorrow morning I'm gonna stop being gay." It's like saying, "Tomorrow morning I'm gonna stop being black."

Human Nature : Blacks, Gays, and Michael Steele
Yeah Steele is right, the whole "being Gay is a 'lifestyle choice' argument is pretty ignorant.

I mean think about it. If choosing to be Gay is a choice then that implies that being Straight is a choice as well - but the fact is, NOBODY chooses who they are attracted to. Attraction is not a conscious, rational choice - it's a biological function - like breathing. Nobody sees someone and says to themselves "gee I think I'm going choose to be attracted to that person" - you just ARE attracted to that person. It's involuntary. Whether you follow up on that attraction or not is of course a choice, but the attraction itself is NOT. It just happens - and it happens without conscious thought (and often instantly) and has a whole set of observable physical reactions such as increased heart rate, dilated pupils, and an increase in the rate of breathing.

Someone who's biologically gay will have those reactions when confronted with an attractive member of the same sex, someone who's not gay will not - jjust as a straight person will have those reactions when confronted with an attactive member of the opposite sex and a gay person will not.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-01-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Someone who's biologically gay will have those reactions when confronted with an attractive member of the same sex, someone who's not gay will not - jjust as a straight person will have those reactions when confronted with an attactive member of the opposite sex and a gay person will not.
One thing that's interesting to me is how gay men seem to have a great appreciation for female beauty, but without any sexual arousal. One might think that the opposite is true - that straight men would have a great appreciation for male beauty - but they don't. They can evaluate another guy's looks, but they don't get pulled into it the way that a lot of gay men get pulled into a woman's looks.

I was at Target yesterday, and there was an incredibly pretty girl working at the customer service counter. I just loved looking at her, and I almost wanted to say, "You're really beautiful", but I thought that would have been awkward, so I didn't say it. Still, I thought about the difference between my reaction and what I believe would be a straight guy's reaction. I had no sexual interest in her at all; a straight guy would have instinctively had sexual thoughts about her.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah Steele is right, the whole "being Gay is a 'lifestyle choice' argument is pretty ignorant.

I mean think about it. If choosing to be Gay is a choice then that implies that being Straight is a choice as well - but the fact is, NOBODY chooses who they are attracted to. Attraction is not a conscious, rational choice - it's a biological function - like breathing. Nobody sees someone and says to themselves "gee I think I'm going choose to be attracted to that person" - you just ARE attracted to that person. It's involuntary. Whether you follow up on that attraction or not is of course a choice, but the attraction itself is NOT. It just happens - and it happens without conscious thought (and often instantly) and has a whole set of observable physical reactions such as increased heart rate, dilated pupils, and and increase in the rate of breathing.

Ken
EXACTLY - and given what you said what the HELL is the big deal about it. Neither are a threat to the other. It is what it is and it isn't bad.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
One thing that's interesting to me is how gay men seem to have a great appreciation for female beauty, but without any sexual arousal. One might think that the opposite is true - that straight men would have a great appreciation for male beauty - but they don't. They can evaluate another guy's looks, but they don't get pulled into it the way that a lot of gay men get pulled into a woman's looks.

I was at Target yesterday, and there was an incredibly pretty girl working at the customer service counter. I just loved looking at her, and I almost wanted to say, "You're really beautiful", but I thought that would have been awkward, so I didn't say it. Still, I thought about the difference between my reaction and what I believe would be a straight guy's reaction. I had no sexual interest in her at all; a straight guy would have instinctively had sexual thoughts about her.
I can see that.
My wife and I were best friends with a gay couple for many years before we eventually drifted apart - and went everywhere with them (even on vacation to Hawaii). They are both great guys and it was an interesting and eye-opening experience to be such good friends with them. I have to say that I would never in my wildest dreams have ever imagined that we would become such good friends with a gay couple, but somehow we just all clicked. Of course it helped that one of them was a lot like my wife in regards to interests (very artistic) and the other was a tech geek like me.

Just goes to show - people are people no matter what their sexual orientation, and those who simply brand someone as "gay" miss out all the other aspects of that person's personality.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-01-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Lord Balfor is like the coolest str8 guy ever. BTW i Loved Seattle - my favourite American city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies