Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 04:15 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
How about a consenting gay couple cannot marry? A consenting heterosexual couple can.

yes they can, they can still get married to someone of the opposite sex very easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes they can, they can still get married to someone of the opposite sex very easy.
Not so easy. I've debunked this. Straight people can marry the one they fall in love with and to whom they are sexually attracted. Gay people cannot do this.

- Reel

Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Not so easy. I've debunked this. Straight people can marry the one they fall in love with and to whom they are sexually attracted. Gay people cannot do this.

- Reel

Personally I think that marriage is the pervue of the church and the state and federal goverment should stay out of it. but civil unons is in the state and federal goverments pervue and they can regulate that anyway they feel they want too.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Personally I think that marriage is the pervue of the church and the state and federal goverment should stay out of it. but civil unons is in the state and federal goverments pervue and they can regulate that anyway they feel they want too.
Well said. All 'marriages' should be civil unions and should include gays. If someone wants to get married (a religious ceremony), they are more than welcome to do so at their local church. If the local church wants to exclude gays from the religious ceremony of marriage then more power to them.

- Reel

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
well they can't file joint tax returns,
they can be denied hospital visitation
if a partner dies they have no automatic provisions for inheritance
They aren't guaranteed spousal health benefits either
they can be fired for being gay as it is not protected

is that enough?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Hmmmmmmmm. Nope...can't think of any.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You notice he wrote "...of man." He did not write, "Marriage is one of the basic constitutional rights.
If you take man to mean "male" as opposed to the more common interpretation of "person" wouldn't that suggest he only supports gay marriage (and not straight or lesbian marriage)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
  • Gays cannot file jointly as a married couples at both the state and federal level
I think only someone named "I like taxes" would find this one upsetting. I do find it upsetting that the federal government goes out of its way to diminish privileges granted by certain states (like mine), but filing singly is decidedly less costly either of the married options (at least for approximately equal wage earners).

I was going to cleverly say "none in my state" until someone pointed out that the federal government doesn't recognize all of the marriages performed here (which, as a conservative, makes me a little angry).

This thread, of course, can never reach agreement, because any of the different ways that a gay person is treated differently by the government will not be considered to affect a right.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So gee I guess if Gay folks were not allowed to vote then that would just be "government policy" eh?

Ken
No, it would be law, not policy.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default These hospitals are jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From a few months ago, in Florida:
"As her partner of 17 years slipped into a coma, Janice Langbehn pleaded with doctors and anyone who would listen to let her into the woman's hospital room.

Eight anguishing hours passed before Langbehn would be allowed into Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. By then, she could only say her final farewell as a priest performed the last rites on 39-year-old Lisa Marie Pond."
Gay woman fights over hospital visitation rights in Miami court - Living - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/277/story/892447.html - broken link)
Period. When my Dad was in Intensive Care, the hospital wouldn't let my husband in to see him; only spouses, as in the case you mentioned, and BLOOD relatives. My Mom and I raised quite a ruckus at that hospital. The hospital relented.

Apparently, if a blood relative could have fought for her, they might have relented.

It should not be this way. People should be able to be the the side of their loved ones; marriage or no marriage, blood relative or no blood relative.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
I have one the fact that god, or for those that dont beleive, mother nature made straight people normal.gay and lasbains,well they are a freak of nature Even the animals know what to do when thier young are born abnormal,in order to protect thier species, they abandon them,and left to die. we have to protect our species thats our mother nature right.between abortion and theese freaks the human race would die off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies