Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You need to define "rights". I just looked up "right" on dictionary.com. There are 62 definitions for the word:

right definition | Dictionary.com

So, which definition are you referring to?
How about this:

The simplest test to determine is something is a right, as viewed under the Constitution, is whether or not it requires that someone else must give up something of theirs in order for you to acquire that right.

If, in order for you to obtain your right, you require the power of government to confiscate property, income, compensation or another person must be coerced to perform some action, or their rights must be infringed upon, in order to give you your "right"… then it is not a right.

There is a difference between a right, a privilege or a need. You have no right to housing, no right to car or medical insurance and no right to clothing, but you have a right to pursue these needs.

You have a right to free speech, but you have no right to government endorsement for the content of your speech, nor to force other people to listen to your speech.

You have the freedom to get married to your car, or your favorite pet, but you have no right to force the government of the people to recognize your marriage.

You have the right to apply for a government run social welfare program, but if you do not qualify under the criteria behind the purpose of the program, you have no right to claim inclusion into the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Marriage isn't a right, either.
Yes, it is... it's a core right of individuals to marry whoever they want... Loving v. Virginia...

Old 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Interesting.. the only thing in the blood I can think of objectively is an increased rate of HIV+ males in the gay community - which is still a minority. They can do a 5 minute hiv test that is very accurate and they can perform it on everyone so I don't see the point of it. However I agree with you - it is discriminatory!
Of course it is... currently, the highest rate of AIDS is among young Black females... can you imagine the uproar if there was a blanket ban on young Black females from donating blood?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, it is... it's a core right of individuals to marry whoever they want... Loving v. Virginia...
Loving v. Virginia was about interracial marriage. You know full well that sex and race have been interpreted as having different levels of protection under the 14th Amendment.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Marriage isn't a right, either.
"Marriage is one of the basic civil rights of man"
-Chief Justice Earl Warren (Loving v Virginia)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Anyway as to the OP...

Gay people have the exact same rights, aside from marriage, as straight people do. Gay people *technically* (though I realize not effectively) have the same right to marriage as straight people do.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
read what an at will state is. you can be terminated for any reason at any time. have fun trying to prove it was because or race or sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sorry, but thefinalsay doesn't understand law or logic.

Hey genius, ever hear of "wrongful termination" lawsuits?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Wapasha, that's way too complex of a definition, although it may be the most accurate.

It just seems that no one is quite sure if marriage should be considered a right. The California Supreme Court said that it is, but I'm sure other state Supreme Courts would say it is not.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
read what an at will state is. you can be terminated for any reason at any time. have fun trying to prove it was because or race or sex.
At will does not include firing someone because you don't like his religion or other classes protected by the law.

Sure, you can fire someone for any reason, but you can't officially say, "I fired him because I found out he's a Jew."

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wapasha, that's way too complex of a definition, although it may be the most accurate.

It just seems that no one is quite sure if marriage should be considered a right. The California Supreme Court said that it is, but I'm sure other state Supreme Courts would say it is not.
If marriage is a right, then why is it licensed? From my understanding, licensed activities are privileges, not rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies