Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,089,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Working at your Dads office during the summer is hardly knowing what life is like with an addict.
Also, I would assume that since these addicts are coming to your father, they must want to be clean on some level. That is a different sort entirely then addicts in the depths of their addiction.
One of my older brothers is an addict and has been for 35 + years. I can say with certainty that he was not abused, nor does he have a traumatic past. He also doesn't want to sleep with our mother nor does he have penis envy of our father
He may have bipolar, but really at this stage in the game it is much too hard to say which came first -- the disease or the addiction? Pot, meth, coke, heroin, alcohol, gambling, you name it he is addicted to it. He is also addicted to the very criminal lifestyle that he leads. He likes the excitement, despises the 'straight' life. When he is in prison he sees the light, wants a job to be clean etc...Once out, his priorities change.
Again, I do see and have met addicts who change their lives around. I have met addicts whose lives would make you weep. I have also met addicts who like their lives as is. I have met addicts who will take you for what they can get. And I have met addicts who abuse and/or neglect their children.

Addiction does lead to neglect of children at the very least.

I agree with you -- normal people can become addicts. What I believe is that alcohol and drugs make some people feel different than they do other people.

Some people can have a beer or two or three and it really doesn't do much for them. They may enjoy the taste of the beer, they may find it relaxing to have a beer but it doesn't make them feel their problems went away or that they are more attractive and exciting. Others though react in a whole different way. The beer gives them beauty, it gives them popularity, it makes them feel on top of the world, they feel their problems went away.

Same for pot or cocaine. Some people can try those and decide they don't like the feeling of being dizzy and confused, or they don't like the artificial thrill. Others might have started out quite normal and with the first dose have become addicted because the drug gave them an experience that others just don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,360,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
It only works if it applies to ALL women of child bearing age.
Yes, I'd agree with that. You can't pick out a certain population and apply it only to them, even if it IS a "good idea".

Can't do those things without becoming Nazis.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,152,120 times
It is obvious that bipolar people and people with mental illness in general prefer to self medicate (see britney spears). Bipolar comes out in the teens and schitizophrenics usually late teens early 20's.

Many feel that since they have to take drugs to regulate their moods and are not really very normal people, that they might as well CONTROL the drugs they take. I would guess it was a tie for whether your brother became a junkie before he became crazy.

There are some that use because they like to and have no issues at all. Those people i have no use for.

But Usually they start out using because we want to be a different person, whether that be more outgoing with speed or perhaps happier with heroin or wilder with crack or just to forget with alcohol. But the people who get hooked and cannot get off even if they wanted to are usually the ones who have bigger issues than just a drug dependency. Usually it is stemming from the mother to be honest. That is a fact. Ask Dr. Drew.

BTW I know ALL about addicts. I did live with an addict MY ENTIRE CHILDHOOD. And that person Did in fact have very deep rooted issues from childhood that caused them to use drugs to run away from reality. I lived this situation day in and day out and i know ALL The stories and i met ALL KINDS Of addicts and these people ALMOST ALWAYS have childhood issues they are running from.

I have been victimized by drug addicts since i was 3 yrs old and yet i know better than to blame the person because the drug changes people.

I know that we all have problems and they would not do that under normal circumstances. BUt being on drugs does not make someone behave normally. IT alters their personality and they really need counseling more than jail to overcome this problem with their lives.

They are weaker than most people and they are a little more fragile because they cannot bear the day to day existence without some numbing= drug. You should pity them and continue to try to help them.

And some of the issues are family members who do not BELIEVE there were familial issues that cause an addict to use. That in itself becomes part of the problem.

I do not think being steralized is a good idea ever unless a person has their full faculties in effect. Being on drug you won't be all there.

I think temporary if you agree to a drug test saying you are sober and eveyrthing is a great idea to prevent unwanted pregnancys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Working at your Dads office during the summer is hardly knowing what life is like with an addict.
Also, I would assume that since these addicts are coming to your father, they must want to be clean on some level. That is a different sort entirely then addicts in the depths of their addiction.
One of my older brothers is an addict and has been for 35 + years. I can say with certainty that he was not abused, nor does he have a traumatic past. He also doesn't want to sleep with our mother nor does he have penis envy of our father
He may have bipolar, but really at this stage in the game it is much too hard to say which came first -- the disease or the addiction? Pot, meth, coke, heroin, alcohol, gambling, you name it he is addicted to it. He is also addicted to the very criminal lifestyle that he leads. He likes the excitement, despises the 'straight' life. When he is in prison he sees the light, wants a job to be clean etc...Once out, his priorities change.
Again, I do see and have met addicts who change their lives around. I have met addicts whose lives would make you weep. I have also met addicts who like their lives as is. I have met addicts who will take you for what they can get. And I have met addicts who abuse and/or neglect their children.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM

37,114 posts, read 31,380,549 times
Taboo2
Just curious why do you think permanent sterilization is wrong? I was sterilized 25 years ago.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,152,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Taboo2
Just curious why do you think permanent sterilization is wrong? I was sterilized 25 years ago.
Not wrong for regular people.

Wrong to offer a drug addict money to get sterlized. They cannot make decisions when under the influence. Cannot sign contracts etc cannot agree to having sex by law.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,355,795 times
2mares, but you probably had all your faculties about you and werent paid/coerced by a group with, let's face it, a sinister agenda.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
You can't pick out a certain population and apply it only to them, even if it IS a "good idea".

Can't do those things without becoming Nazis.
Sure you can if it is voluntary and you are a private organization. They could offer the deal only to people that are alergic to peanuts.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM

23,206 posts, read 26,430,620 times
Here's harshness.
Are you supposedly too young? or strung out ? or poor to be making life long decisions?
Guess what? I don't give a F because those unborns have no say in the matter and I'll take their side over yours anyday.
Since 'we' don't ask for proof of ability for parenthood, then, at least, let's champion anything that cuts the potential for bad/no parenting

Old 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Wrong to offer a drug addict money to get sterlized. They cannot make decisions when under the influence. Cannot sign contracts etc cannot agree to having sex by law.
I would have taken the money tho.
But you dont have a problem with them making a decision to reproduce and be responsible for a baby?
I still think if their sole reason/decision to agree to long term birth control or sterilization is to purchase drugs then its a good thing if they dont have kids. If later they get clean and turn their life around, they can adopt babies from addicts that chose not to take the $ in exchange for not reproducing.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
2mares, but you probably had all your faculties about you and werent paid/coerced by a group with, let's face it, a sinister agenda.
Yes I did. Unless you consider just having gone thru labor and childbirth a coercion. LOL.
I really dont see it as sinister to try to prevent unwanted pregnancies, abortions, drug adicted babies and further burdens on society. Some of these folks may actually be grateful for the help if they dont have the financial means for long term birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies