Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,072,931 times

Advertisements

The other thing to remember is that while we all have the same opportunity to succeed we don't all have the potential. It isn't just the big guys vs the little guys. Given all the same opportunities and circumstances I doubt I could ever be a Donald Trump or a brain surgeon, CEO of major corporation, etc. Maybe I could be a less pretentious Martha Stewart but lets not go there...LOL

Point being that we all have personal limitations that prevent us from realizing equal results in many facets of living. It takes more than a MBA to run a company....it requires a certain personality type, the ability to manage risk, to manage people, to set goals for next year and the next 5 years and then make/implement a plan to attain those goals. It takes tenacity to keep going when things look bleak or the nerve to go against the mainstream and take your business in a different direction. Not everyone has that. Somehow it is fashionable to beat up the guy who is all of that, but not the people he employs (most of whom could never achieve to that level).

That is not to say that some folks just can't make it but rather we have to redefine success to fit us as individuals. It is more important to live up to your own potential even if it isn't as high on the ladder as the next guy. Stop looking up to see is ahead of you and look down to see how far you've come....it makes for a much nicer view, less likely to lead to envy and discontent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,339,897 times
I am incredibly impressed by people who are 'self made' millionaires...those who invent, create and make things happen. 'Trust fund babies' and those who inherit wealth aren't very special- the 'lucky uterus club'.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,500,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I am incredibly impressed by people who are 'self made' millionaires...those who invent, create and make things happen. 'Trust fund babies' and those who inherit wealth aren't very special- the 'lucky uterus club'.
Hey, that is not fair.
I am one of those trust funds babies(actually not more real estate then trust funds) but I still went to school and made my own wealth.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Hey, that is not fair.
I am one of those trust funds babies(actually not more real estate then trust funds) but I still went to school and made my own wealth.
What's the easiest way to make a million dollars??
Start with $999,999.
Sorry, my opinion holds. Lucky uterus club.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
What's the easiest way to make a million dollars??
Start with $999,999.
Sorry, my opinion holds. Lucky uterus club.
But again lucky uterus club should be people that dont work and have millions from their parents...
I work and went to medical school and have my own company.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
But again lucky uterus club should be people that dont work and have millions from their parents...
I work and went to medical school and have my own company.
There are thousands of people (maybe millions?) who were smart enough to go to medical school but couldn't afford it. They were members of the 'unlucky uterus' club.
It's a good thing you didn't just sit on a boat and drink chardonnay all day.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
There are thousands of people (maybe millions?) who were smart enough to go to medical school but couldn't afford it. They were members of the 'unlucky uterus' club.
It's a good thing you didn't just sit on a boat and drink chardonnay all day.
I am sorry,, but no,, 80% of all medical school went on federal loans including me, my father didnt want me to go to medicine, he wanted me to work with him in his company(real estate) and offer me a nice salary, I still havent received my lucky uterus club card yet. No body didnt go to medical school because of money issues..

Oh and just in case I dont want the lucky uterus club, I preffer having my father alive...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,331,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Why didn't that fella go into business for himself and sell his own thing? I am assuming it was his JOB to do that for HP.
Developing it wasn't part of his job, he was normal assembly line...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,513,802 times
If you create something in a work environment using works tools and equipment and you think your entitled to all the profits then the lottery might be a better choice for them.

Jealousy is the root of all evil.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,427,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think it depends on what is meant by "rich." If we're talking about the fairly rich (those with $5+ million dollars in assets or so), or the really rich (people with tens of millions), there is suspicion from both sides. Republicans praise them for their success on one hand, while demonizing many of them as "out-of-touch limousine liberals." Democrats rely on their cash to fuel their political machine, but criticize them for their excess, and the supercharged corporate salaries many of them draw.

There is a general suspicion that they have certain abilities that others do not - for example, the ability to lean on the political system itself through lobbyists or personal connections, and have laws made for their benefits. Bailouts, special legal provisions in tax and estates laws, methods of agency enforcement - these all seem to favor the rich. When a middle class guy is fired, he doesn't get much. Maybe a bit of severance pay. When a CEO of a big company flames out, his lawyers make sure his landing is padded by millions of dollars. There seems to be an unfairness at work, which has accelerated over time.

Kind of depends what you mean by "gives," though. If you are hired by a major corporation, it's not like the CEO has "given" you a job there. Your job was created by operation of the business itself. If the CEO or a board member gets tossed out, it's not like all the hires done under that CEO get tossed out as well. They are replaceable.
That cooperation had to start somewhere, with an idea and one person that made it big. the cooperation is left now, but if the small single person that started the company decided not to make that venture because of taxes on the successfull, you would not have years of success, and thousands of jobs created
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies