Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The non-rich person gives the rich person labor to work in the rich person's company where the rich person makes a nice profit.
Most people don't work for closely-held companies managed by the same person who hires them. Most work for fairly large corporations headed up by a CEO and board of directors, or for various layers of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM782 View Post
I've never understood why people hate the rich so much in this country?
Actually we Americans are the opposite, we love the rich. We celebrate them ceaselessly (look at TV shows and movies, we feature them constantly and if we don't we have another show about winning the lottery). I've heard it said that Americans cut the rich a break because we beleive the next one could be us, partially because there is so much new (and often easy) money to be made here.

Further, so many Americans (especially Repubs) are conditioned to hold the Gov't in contempt, that they end up championing the opposite (private sector). Along with giving the rich a break we give big corporations a break. I personally would like to take all of these multi-million dollar corporate execs, getting huge bonuses for bad years on bad for the earth products and... well, I'll just say tar and feather them.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Most people don't work for closely-held companies managed by the same person who hires them. Most work for fairly large corporations headed up by a CEO and board of directors, or for various layers of government.
Do you have some data to show this? I thought the vast majority of American companies were small businesses...with something like 50 employees or less. Seems I read it in an article...I should have paid more attention but it was more than a year ago.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh my Gawd! What is the world coming to! The rich are having to cut back! I want to just cry for them. Especially the one who has had to scale back trips on his private jet! I think we need to give them another tax cut!

Rich begin feeling the pain in down economy - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Private jet ala' algore in his own while lecturing on global warming?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0IxwBKLFQ

Oh well...

Tax cut? Whose money was it to begin with? Or better yet, whose is it?

Do you personally fit the definition of "rich"? If not, are you jealous because you haven't made it that far? If you are ("rich" that is), and feel guilty, then for gosh sakes give back your own money to the "poor".

What do you do for a living that contributes to creating jobs and wealth for others?

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-04-2008 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is very nonsensical! There are people who want a job with set amount of security, benefits ,vacation , that the show up 5 days a week put in their time and go home. There are others who want more and are willing to put their nuts on the chopping block and risk it all often not knowing if and when they will get paid, no vacation and no benefits, all to build something more than a job! One has much greater demand from a person than the other and IF succesfull, much greater reward!
So are you saying that rich folks and multi million dollar corporations never never ever use the working class to their own ends; they never take advantage of any laws, practice unfair practices, grease the palms of politicians and use the working class to make themselves richer? They never do that, never have and never will?

Here is an example of what I mean. My father in law works at HP. There was a guy there that made a machine that would help the process go faster (some kind of board had to be air dried, this machine dried the board in a tenth of the time) He got $500 and a dinner. Sure it isn't bad, but how many thousands if not millions did the company make from this? Did it benefit him? he get a raise, maybe a little slice of the profits? No. It all went into their pockets.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't try hard to succeed, they should, but some try much much harder than the people that make it and still are at square one.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Statistics about Business Size from the Census Bureau

Old 08-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
So are you saying that rich folks and multi million dollar corporations never never ever use the working class to their own ends; they never take advantage of any laws, practice unfair practices, grease the palms of politicians and use the working class to make themselves richer? They never do that, never have and never will?

Here is an example of what I mean. My father in law works at HP. There was a guy there that made a machine that would help the process go faster (some kind of board had to be air dried, this machine dried the board in a tenth of the time) He got $500 and a dinner. Sure it isn't bad, but how many thousands if not millions did the company make from this? Did it benefit him? he get a raise, maybe a little slice of the profits? No. It all went into their pockets.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't try hard to succeed, they should, but some try much much harder than the people that make it and still are at square one.
Why didn't that fella go into business for himself and sell his own thing? I am assuming it was his JOB to do that for HP as it is my DH's job to develop quality systems for his company. He has the option of working for himself as a consultant but at this time we are not wanting to take all the risk...his company is and that works for all of us right now. Sure the company benefits, but DH is building a resume and a bunch of business contacts as well as a reputation in his industry. So, who is using who? The relationship is mutually beneficial.

Your FIL coworker had little risk and so ended up with little reward. Not that it is always 'fair' but that is how it often works. Many companies do reward such effort more substantially.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Thanks...that looks like the right info but with a whole lot more numbers than I remember....LOL.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

Well a smart business man probably would have patened it and sold it or negotiated some sort of compensation. look some people are leaders and others are followers one is not better than the other but In this country we all have the same opportunity to succeed or fail and for every disadvantaged sob story, there is another out there who had it worse and succeeded! Everyone should read the life story of Chris Gardner, or see the movie about his life with Will Smith called "The Pursuit of Happyness"!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 89,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Actually we Americans are the opposite, we love the rich. We celebrate them ceaselessly (look at TV shows and movies, we feature them constantly and if we don't we have another show about winning the lottery). I've heard it said that Americans cut the rich a break because we beleive the next one could be us, partially because there is so much new (and often easy) money to be made here.

Further, so many Americans (especially Repubs) are conditioned to hold the Gov't in contempt, that they end up championing the opposite (private sector). Along with giving the rich a break we give big corporations a break. I personally would like to take all of these multi-million dollar corporate execs, getting huge bonuses for bad years on bad for the earth products and... well, I'll just say tar and feather them.
Just look at the first few posts in this thread... all negative... If you listen hard enough you can hear the liberals chanting "TAX THE RICH!!! TAX THE RICH!!" Just because rich people are on tv does not mean that we celebrate them. They are entertaining, nothing more. There are plenty of very wealthy people that aren't put on tv because they aren't entertaining and no one would care to watch.

Corporations in the U.S. pay the second highest tax rate in the world! I would hardly call that a break! In 2006, the top 1% of tax payers paid 40% of the taxes, the top 2-5%, paid 20% while the bottom 50% paid only 5%. I would say the bottom 50% are getting the break!

While I will admit that some of corporate executives' compensation packages are very excessive, being an executive of a major company is one of the hardest jobs in the world. Your life revolves around work and you are under enormous pressure from millions of people.

Finally I will just ask, why do you want to "tar and feather" them? Why does it matter to you what someone else makes? What right do you have to say what is too much pay? I think people with this attitude should mind their own business. Maybe if they did that and focused on their own lives they could make a little more money themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies