Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"more than they deserve"??? Strange comment. How much do you believe "they deserve"?

Those with wealth are providing you with your employment. They often provide you with a good quality of life as they donate land for parks and playgrounds - schools - hospitals etc.
Sorry, I think I should have clarified a little more, my bad

I just don't see how a small group of people should own so much more than the masses that work every bit as hard for it.

Employment is a two way street. The only reason you have a job is to make them money, so without them you have no job, but without the employed masses NO ONE would be rich, and we would in fact all be pretty poor and primitive.

Do you really think that people would pick apples by hand if a machine could do it? Would we really have mechanics if a machine could do it all? Would we have construction workers if a machine could do it?

We have a job because it's necessary for the world to go round; without people working there will be nothing. The rich and the working class depend on each other, they may as well help one another - not use one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,415,461 times
I disagree to some extent. The market runs it for the most part.

If the Rich Guy #1 isn't paying enough, workers will go work for a different Rich Guy, which will eventually make Rich Guy #1 either raise his payscale, or hire less qualified workers, which will produce a lower quality product which will ultimately sell for less and make him less money.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,804,582 times
See, but you're using simple economics. Which while true, are typically completely ignored by those with the mindset that everyone should be reduced to the same, much lower, standard of living.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Damn you, Scuba Steve.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana] A proper society shares the profit and the ]
Is that what their calling it these days ?"Proper"

Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,863,738 times
is this article about john edwards or al gore? when I see the words private jet, and super rich, those are the two names that come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh my Gawd! What is the world coming to! The rich are having to cut back! I want to just cry for them. Especially the one who has had to scale back trips on his private jet! I think we need to give them another tax cut!

Rich begin feeling the pain in down economy - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

I just don't see how a small group of people should own so much more than the masses that work every bit as hard for it.

Employment is a two way street. The only reason you have a job is to make them money, so without them you have no job, but without the employed masses NO ONE would be rich, and we would in fact all be pretty poor and primitive.

Do you really think that people would pick apples by hand if a machine could do it? Would we really have mechanics if a machine could do it all? Would we have construction workers if a machine could do it?

We have a job because it's necessary for the world to go round; without people working there will be nothing. The rich and the working class depend on each other, they may as well help one another - not use one another.
The rich person gives the non-rich person a job that has salary and benefits for the person's family.

The non-rich person gives the rich person labor to work in the rich person's company where the rich person makes a nice profit.

I think that's fair. What else do they want?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

This is very nonsensical! There are people who want a job with set amount of security, benefits ,vacation , that the show up 5 days a week put in their time and go home. There are others who want more and are willing to put their nuts on the chopping block and risk it all often not knowing if and when they will get paid, no vacation and no benefits, all to build something more than a job! One has much greater demand from a person than the other and IF succesfull, much greater reward!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,623,623 times
Who are "the rich" anyway?

Most likely they are those who might have been classified as "poor" 20 years ago. But made wise life choices and bettered themselves.

Good link on this subject:

Thomas Sowell :: Townhall.com :: Dangerous Demagoguery: Part II

The University of Michigan Panel Survey on Income Dynamics showed that, among people who were in the bottom 20 percent income bracket in 1975, only 5 percent were still in that category in 1991. Nearly six times as many of them were now in the top 20 percent in 1991.

There was a summary of the University of Michigan data in the 1995 annual report of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, which also issued an excerpt titled "By Our Own Bootstraps."

So what it appears, is that the "poor" over the years, became the evil rich later. I always wondered at what point that transition occured. I guess when they reaped the rewards of their own hard work and thrift and foresight, maybe...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-04-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank God for the free market.

Please God no Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies