Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 07:57 AM

59,574 posts, read 27,700,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Lack of fathers: Same smokescreen I've been hearing, for decades......!
"Same smokescreen"

Not our fault you are so mis-informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 07:58 AM

18,555 posts, read 9,243,352 times
Human fathers generally lack the instinct to care for their offspring. The same is true for many other mammal species.

Historically, the solution to this problem was to give fathers *absolute power* over their wives and children, so that fathers would stick around and shoulder the burden of family life. The only thing men crave as much as sex is power and authority over others, so that arrangement kind of worked. It wasn’t so great for all of the battered and abused women and children, but at least they had food and a roof overhead.

Like it or not, that was the traditional “social contract” in most societies until the 1960s and 70s. Now, the government has things like child support to make sure that offspring can survive. Not ideal, but it probably means fewer battered wives and children.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:58 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,652,273 times
That’s why they replaced father’s day with juneteenth.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-17-2022, 08:01 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 17 days ago)

36,072 posts, read 18,331,497 times
This is from 2019, and the trend seems to be looking better than in the 90's and earlier 2000's.

A very small percentage are completely absent from their minor children's lives, 6% of all dads.

4/5 live with some of their children, or live part time with their children. (shared custody)

Nearly 3/4 of dads, according to the census, live with all their minor children.

So not nearly as bleak as the picture was for those kids who are now entering adulthood or are in adulthood as far as having no dads to raise them.

Looks like the corner has turned, and men's organizations can be credited for whipping them into shape and making them realize they're needed, and duty-bound.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...atherhood.html

Old 06-17-2022, 08:01 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,196,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That’s why they replaced father’s day with juneteenth.
so all the absent dads could say.. yah, man dat be me.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:02 AM

4,969 posts, read 2,268,276 times
This is slightly off-topic, but my 22-year-old daughter is now working at my company. Since we have been allowed to return to work, I work from the office once every 2-to 3 weeks just to get out of the house. When I am in the office, we have lunch together.

I walked her back to her classroom and her supervisor stepped out to chat. He asked me, "How did you get you're daughter to like you"? I laughed but he was serious. He said that his daughters are standoffish to him and don't act like they want to be around him but my daughter acts as if she adores me. It was a hell of a compliment.

I don't know of a single thing that I've done to "get" my daughter to like me. It's just that being an engaged father has been the greatest joy of my life. I love being a Dad. I don't know how anyone could have a child and not be engaged in their life.

2,939 posts, read 1,181,534 times
We have plenty of fathers; problem is, too many hit the road once a pregnancy is revealed/baby is born.
Tragic, really. The products (children) of the "hit and run" and remaining parent - and we, the taxpayers - are left holding the bag.
This country is culturally sick. Responsibility has gone the way of the dinosaur in all too many instances.
Perhaps it's time to return to the basics of life; duty, honor, responsibility, courtesy, accountability, etc.
The world would be a better place.

2,040 posts, read 3,558,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Lack of fathers: Same smokescreen I've been hearing, for decades......!
At some point you have to wonder if there's something to it.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:04 AM

6,953 posts, read 3,152,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Human fathers generally lack the instinct to care for their offspring. The same is true for many other mammal species.

Historically, the solution to this problem was to give fathers *absolute power* over their wives and children, so that fathers would stick around and shoulder the burden of family life. The only thing men crave as much as sex is power and authority over others, so that arrangement kind of worked. It wasn’t so great for all of the battered and abused women and children, but at least they had food and a roof overhead.

Like it or not, that was the traditional “social contract” in most societies until the 1960s and 70s. Now, the government has things like child support to make sure that offspring can survive. Not ideal, but it probably means fewer battered wives and children.
I was waiting for this to come up.

No one is saying there are not cases of Spouse abuse( which can be any gender really).

Are there cases where a 'particular' Father should have no business raising a family? Yes, indeed.

But by and large, it is better to have a Caring Father and Mother present and involved. As mentioned, stats don't lie.

Implying men are not capable or only crave power and sex is insulting and toxic.

Last edited by naicha; 06-17-2022 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-17-2022, 08:18 AM

37,559 posts, read 19,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Not just fathers, but a lack of male authority in general.
And yet, we've had two presidents in my lifetime who were raised by single mothers.

Children need unconditional love to grow and mature. Where they get it, whether from fathers, mothers, or a combination of the two, is of less than no importance.

Last edited by cuebald; 06-17-2022 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies