Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 05:44 AM

10,524 posts, read 7,150,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And for those of you who want to start your day with a taste of the bizarre, here's a a Russian official of some sort in Kherson with a poem about how every place in the world is his Russian homeland.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/st...en-a-loose-end

I could be mistaken, but I think he was the official who met a tragic end recently.

Well, at least they didn't push this guy out of a window. Maybe they're getting a little more creative in how they kill inconvenient folks now.

Putin's Russia is basically what happens when you allow organized crime to run a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 07:19 AM

25,793 posts, read 17,567,944 times
In August there were 72.6M people working in Russia.
The call-up took about 1M of those out of the workforce as 300,000 went into the army and 700,000 fled the country. And that was just in September. The total workforce is now estimated to be around 70M, which was the level last seen in 2012. Population during the last 10 years has not changed significantly, but it is down a little.

1M or so fled the country when war broke out. That group would be the population with the greatest means and mobility, and that is the very group that Russia should want to keep if their country is to remain stable and independent.

Russia reminds me of a roach that has been sprayed with Raid. It runs around like crazy for a while, but it is still doomed.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:35 AM

12,723 posts, read 7,651,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The invasion was from three different sides. It appeared that they achieved their objectives from two of the three sides, and occupied 20% of the land of the Ukraine, and they still control most of that land today. Calling that a failure is a stretch. They have not been successful since then. But until the Ukraine at least liberates all of the territory taken since the beginning of the war, this is not a failure for Russia. As of now they are still way ahead.
You're still desperately moving goal posts, here I will repost the other poster's comment that you quoted and argued with:
Quote:
Russia wanted to take Kyiv. They didn't get it, so I'd say that the northern front can certainly be called a failure
That is what you replied to trying to argue with them by changing to southern fronts and dreamed up lowered Russian objectives to try to make your point. We can all agree that 1) Russia wanted to take Kiev and 2) The northern front can be called a failure. The poster you replied to was correct. Actually I take back the "we can all agree" part since some of the Russia apologists in continue to push the ridiculous fable that the northern front was just a feint and Putin didn't actually want Kiev.

As for your latest goal post positioning, Russia's objective was to quickly topple Ukraine's government and take over the country with as little military loss as possible. Putin did not sit there in February with his generals and say hey our plan is to invade Ukraine, lose tens of thousands of troops, thousand of tanks, hundreds of aircraft, suffer the humiliation of being forced to turn to North Korea and Syria for arms, become even more isolated internationally, add Sweden and Finland to NATO, declare mobilizations and be forced to recruit pensioners and prisoners, and after eight months have a front they can't hold and an even more NATO aligned neighbor that is far better armed than they were in February.

Failure.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:16 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,001,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia reminds me of a roach that has been sprayed with Raid. It runs around like crazy for a while, but it is still doomed.
Good one. I hit 'em with the Raid and then watch them die slowly. No stomping. Make them suffer.

But really I think Russia reminds me more of a scorpion. Lots of them here and they get in the house and seem impervious to any poison I hose them with. I think they rather like Raid. I'm not even sure they're organic life. Caught one once and did an experiment ... Submerged it in a shot glass of vodka and after 3 hrs it was still alive and fine. Apparently they breathe vodka with no ill affects at all. If that's not a freakin Russian I don't know what is.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:24 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,001,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks for the link. We don't have anything like that on the West Coast. Except maybe Winco. I don't know, I have never been there. H-E-B doesn't look bad for an American supermarket, but I'm still not sure it's on the same standard as that Saint Petersburg supermarket. But maybe.
Points for rolling with the mockery and keeping your composure. You're alright. Still a Russian bot though so you're still going to get ripped on.

HEB is pretty average around here. Whole Foods and Central Market are better. I am super skeptical about a Russian grocery store being in the same league as ours. You're probably talking about St. Petersburg Florida.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 AM

5,307 posts, read 3,880,620 times
Russia is done for now. Kherson back to Ukraine. What are some of you people smoking? I don't know of too many wars in which one party won every single battle. Pop the champagne.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:01 AM

25,793 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Good one. I hit 'em with the Raid and then watch them die slowly. No stomping. Make them suffer.

But really I think Russia reminds me more of a scorpion. Lots of them here and they get in the house and seem impervious to any poison I hose them with. I think they rather like Raid. I'm not even sure they're organic life. Caught one once and did an experiment ... Submerged it in a shot glass of vodka and after 3 hrs it was still alive and fine. Apparently they breathe vodka with no ill affects at all. If that's not a freakin Russian I don't know what is.
I found a scorpion in my dishwasher AFTER I had run a cycle. He wasn't feeling all that good, but he was still kicking.
I thought, "Buddy, if you have put up that good a fight, I'm gonna just take you outside and give you another chance!"
I don't think we ought to do that with Russia, though. They might be like Germany after WW1.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:08 AM

79,220 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Ok, that's fair. However, Ukrainian forces have not entered Kherson yet. That has to happen. So a bit premature. Let's wait for that.

But yes, the Russians are abandoning Kherson. Or so it seems. We'll see what develops.

The rest of your "analysis" in your second paragraph is laughable since so many Ukrainian supporters have likewise been wrong many times as I stated in previous posts and will not reevaluate their positions for anything. Nice try.

Now the question remains if Ukraine will be able to push Russian forces completely out of the four newly created Russian areas and Crimea. Or will Russian armored and armored infantry forces start a new offensive when the ground freezes over? We'll have to watch for that.
We can all agree that there is a lot of propaganda out there.

Regardless, the border moves east.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:14 AM

10,524 posts, read 7,150,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Ok, that's fair. However, Ukrainian forces have not entered Kherson yet. That has to happen. So a bit premature. Let's wait for that.

But yes, the Russians are abandoning Kherson. Or so it seems. We'll see what develops.

The rest of your "analysis" in your second paragraph is laughable since so many Ukrainian supporters have likewise been wrong many times as I stated in previous posts and will not reevaluate their positions for anything. Nice try.

Now the question remains if Ukraine will be able to push Russian forces completely out of the four newly created Russian areas and Crimea. Or will Russian armored and armored infantry forces start a new offensive when the ground freezes over? We'll have to watch for that.

Signs say no. Biggest indicator? Artillery has traditionally been the senior arm of the Russian army, using it for mass bludgeoning of an enemy. Over the last couple of months, Russian artillery has waned in both fire and counter battery fire. For example, if you shoot artillery, you adhere to 'shoot and scoot' doctrine to avoid return fire. The amount of Russian counter battery fire has fallen off a cliff.

That and the numerous signs that the Russians are scrounging for munitions of all kinds. They are going hat in hand to the NoKos right now for it.

The other part of your post I'd dispute is the that you aren't taking into account the logistical nightmare the Russians are facing. Their military is highly dependent on rail as opposed to trucking. The Kerch Strait bridge will not be repaired for rail traffic until mid 2023 and the Russians are running so low on trucks that they're having to loot dealerships throughout the country.

So the Ukrainians don't have to assault Russian positions. They only have to destroy the logistical channels, depriving the forward units of food and munitions.

We're all b'sing our way through this, but I think the next major Ukrainian push isn't into Crimea, but towards Melitopol and Berdyansk, amputating the supply route to Russian forces on the east bank of the Dnipro River. If they did indeed manage that, it also suddenly puts the Kerch Strait bridge within range of constant missile attacks. Knock that bridge out completely and you starve the Russians out.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:16 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,801,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We can all agree that there is a lot of propaganda out there.

Regardless, the border moves east.
The border will have to move east (and south) quite a ways before Ukraine can finish the job. We have to be careful that it doesn't start moving west (and north). Nothing is guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies