Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 12:43 PM

8,992 posts, read 11,880,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
No doubt mutiny will occur in some battalions. Also the desertion rate will go up. Zekensky also said if they surrender and don’t want to return to Russia, it can be arranged.

Those families are likely leaving the country, but not all can leave obviously. It does government no good to hold families hostage. It won’t help the government. They have better things to do like concentrate on a war and quelling unrest.
I didn't mean being held hostage literally. They can threaten to harm the family of the soldiers who don't obey.

Some of the oligarchs Putin murdered lived in foreign countries. For his victims, there were no escape from Putin's wrath no matter where they lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 01:19 PM

13,257 posts, read 22,983,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
No doubt mutiny will occur in some battalions. Also the desertion rate will go up. Zekensky also said if they surrender and don’t want to return to Russia, it can be arranged.

Those families are likely leaving the country, but not all can leave obviously. It does government no good to hold families hostage. It won’t help the government. They have better things to do like concentrate on a war and quelling unrest.
Germany has sad they were considering allowing asylum claims for Russians who don’t want to be drafted. A nice shared apartment or dorm room in Dresden or Berlin while taking language and job training classes sounds like a lot better future than the very non-zero risk of dying in a field near Kherson.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:51 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,703,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I doubt it. Making the threat (To discourage opponent) and actually doing it are very different. Consequences & risks are too great.

If the US did try to do this, the damage, we would receive would be real and permanent. If Russia doesn't have the ability to fight back effectively enough conventionally, I suspect they will use what is available to them and nobody wants that. If Russia decides they need to go all in with WMD for Ukraine, US can respond but not in the way you described above.
You should realize the last and only time nuclear weapons were used was when the US was already winning against Japan. We just wanted to win faster with fewer casualties. Even without nuclear weapons, the US would have won the war eventually.

The situation is completely the opposite for Russia. Not only are they losing, NATO has not even officially joined the war. Any escalation that invites NATO to officially join the war would just ensure Russia loses faster. So basically, national suicide. Sure, Putin may be crazy enough to commit national suicide but his actions so far seems a bit more sane.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:22 PM

30,775 posts, read 21,652,571 times
Quote:
That is true, the US did use nuclear weapons because it was easier for us. We had options. Russia may eventually find itself in a position whereby WMD's are their least bad option (In their opinion).

NATO members leaders know the real reasons for the war, whereas the public is just fed what is best for respective governments to proliferate. IF Russia does use WMD's I don't suspect the NATO nations would come to an agreement on striking Russia. Individual members like the US may try something, and at that point Russia would likely retaliate, which may force NATO nations to either back the US or exit NATO.

Since I think Russia will go all in with Ukraine, I believe there is a limit to what Western nations can do, and we are approaching that limit.
It's gonna come down to nuke duke. We will glass em up if they use any.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:29 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,163,326 times
I hope, with this mobilization, the regime in Russia have dug their own grave.

All the protesters in Russia have to do it to organize themselves, or to connect with somebody who can teach them how to organize.

Once the people who take the protesters into custody one by one, learn the power of a crowd, a ruthless ORGANIZED mob, are beaten and bleed and start fearing the crowd, the job is done.

People in Russia should realize that they can easily smash one little man and a couple of other little men around him like cockroaches. They should at last stop being sheet and understand that a couple of douchebags have no chance whatsoever to withstand the multi-million population in the country.

With this mobilization, the recent support of Putin will vanish, as nobody wants to die for insane ideas of an old, sick, stinking, out-of-his-mind troll who has long ago overstayed his welcome.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 09-25-2022 at 02:58 PM..

Old 09-25-2022, 03:01 PM

47,104 posts, read 26,232,889 times
Quote:
If Russia decides they need to go all in with WMD for Ukraine, US can respond but not in the way you described above.
Conventional attacks on strategic assets would probably be the order of the day. I have zero doubt that there's an attack sub ready to zoom though the Bosporus if the balloon goes up, and I have no doubt that any vessel of the Russian Black Sea fleet will proceed to have brief, but exciting, events happen.

At the same time, I'd be disappointed if the Russian navy commanders haven't been told that their missile subs will targeted immediately if they start opening missile tube hatches.

On land and in the air? Unleash the Poles, the French and the Brits. The Germans are all sorts of weird about shooting wars on foreign soil but who knows. Center US help on intelligence and supplies - become Democracy's Arsenal again.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:12 PM

4,997 posts, read 2,769,214 times
Deny's update today 9/25...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgZUh9BOcQ

Old 09-25-2022, 03:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,001,922 times
Quote:
That is true, the US did use nuclear weapons because it was easier for us. We had options. Russia may eventually find itself in a position whereby WMD's are their least bad option (In their opinion).

NATO members leaders know the real reasons for the war, whereas the public is just fed what is best for respective governments to proliferate. IF Russia does use WMD's I don't suspect the NATO nations would come to an agreement on striking Russia. Individual members like the US may try something, and at that point Russia would likely retaliate, which may force NATO nations to either back the US or exit NATO.

Since I think Russia will go all in with Ukraine, I believe there is a limit to what Western nations can do, and we are approaching that limit.
NATO is a "nice to have" but they are not a vital part of the US's nuclear 'relationship' with Russia. We can do pretty much whatever we have to do in response to Russia's moves, with or without NATO. The limitations are what we place on ourselves. A globalist administration will be immobilized without allied consensus. An America-first administration will notify others but will not ask or wait for permission. I think we all know what we have now.

We are not near the limit of what we can do. Russia would be making a big mistake to think we're out of moves ... and I'm not even talking about nuclear moves.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:57 PM

8,221 posts, read 3,769,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Conventional attacks on strategic assets would probably be the order of the day. I have zero doubt that there's an attack sub ready to zoom though the Bosporus if the balloon goes up, and I have no doubt that any vessel of the Russian Black Sea fleet will proceed to have brief, but exciting, events happen.

At the same time, I'd be disappointed if the Russian navy commanders haven't been told that their missile subs will targeted immediately if they start opening missile tube hatches.

On land and in the air? Unleash the Poles, the French and the Brits. The Germans are all sorts of weird about shooting wars on foreign soil but who knows. Center US help on intelligence and supplies - become Democracy's Arsenal again.
Strategic assets? And what happens if/when they retaliate with nuclear weapons?

Old 09-25-2022, 04:17 PM

8,992 posts, read 11,880,169 times
Russian mobilization will cause serious problems for Ukraine. Ukraine fans have listed some reasons why the Russians will fail:

1. They don't have enough equipment.

China, Iran, and North Korea will provide Russia with weapons. They might not care about Russia, but their hatred for the USA is good reason enough to help Russia.

2. The new troops and will be untrained and have low morale.

Survival is the strongest motivator. It's kill or be killed. Those new troops will be hardened killers soon enough.

Ukraine will have some serious challenges ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies