Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 11:56 AM

17,040 posts, read 12,661,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
This war would have to go on for a very long time before Russian dead would approach one million. Since we know Ukraine has lost only 31000 how many do you think Russia has KIA?
We only know 4 things for sure.

Ukrainian dead are more than Ukraine admits
Ukrainian dead are less than Russia says.
Russian dead are less than Ukraine says.
Russian dead are more than Russia admits.

My point is Russia will send the waves of soldiers until it works. The Russian army has improved quite a bit from its Yakety Sax days in the first few months of the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 12:06 PM

6,666 posts, read 12,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Putin is not looking to march across the world. He knows he is not capable of that. His goal is to reassemble the Soviet Union. Whatever we have spent on military aid to Ukraine is a bargain compared to what was spent in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
Only minus the three Baltics since they are NATO. But if he succeeds in Ukraine the plan was Moldova next, then possibly Georgia and then the "stan" countries plus Azerbaijan and Armenia.

It's for a "good cause" then they are willing to spend as much as they need, like liberating Iraq from the evildoer Saddam Hussein and finding the WMD's.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,847,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We only know 4 things for sure.

Ukrainian dead are more than Ukraine admits
Ukrainian dead are less than Russia says.
Russian dead are less than Ukraine says.
Russian dead are more than Russia admits.

My point is Russia will send the waves of soldiers until it works. The Russian army has improved quite a bit from its Yakety Sax days in the first few months of the war.

https://simplicius76.substack.com/p/...sian-total-war

Old 04-01-2024, 02:32 PM

25,734 posts, read 17,500,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
.............My point is Russia will send the waves of soldiers until it works. The Russian army has improved quite a bit from its Yakety Sax days in the first few months of the war.
Memories of Bennie Hill!

But I don't think it will ever work.
Russia is not capable of occupying an unwilling Ukraine. They have spent two years working hard to insure they will never be welcome in Ukraine.
They can bomb it. Pulverize it, even. But they cannot control it; they simply do not have the ability. Since every Ukraine soldier or civilian killed has relatives and friends who will never forget or accept what Russia has done, it doesn't look very good for Russian officials who may try to govern Ukraine.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:41 PM
bu2

24,184 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Only minus the three Baltics since they are NATO. But if he succeeds in Ukraine the plan was Moldova next, then possibly Georgia and then the "stan" countries plus Azerbaijan and Armenia.

It's for a "good cause" then they are willing to spend as much as they need, like liberating Iraq from the evildoer Saddam Hussein and finding the WMD's.
Putin wants the Baltics to connect to Kalingrad. And Russia has tried to destabilize Estonia and Lithuania with decent sized Russian minorities.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:44 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Memories of Bennie Hill!

But I don't think it will ever work.
Russia is not capable of occupying an unwilling Ukraine. They have spent two years working hard to insure they will never be welcome in Ukraine.
They can bomb it. Pulverize it, even. But they cannot control it; they simply do not have the ability. Since every Ukraine soldier or civilian killed has relatives and friends who will never forget or accept what Russia has done, it doesn't look very good for Russian officials who may try to govern Ukraine.
Much as they faced in Afghanistan. And we faced in Afghanistan. And the other side there did not have the same capability as the Ukrainian army.

Unlike the Afghans, the Ukrainians are facing extermination, not just a change in culture, so they will be very unlikely to simply quit.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:50 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Also I don't think Russia wants the "stans" other than maybe Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan has lots of fertile fields and still has a large Russian minority. The Russians have mostly left the other Stans. Turkmenistan is lightly populated but has lots of oil. The Uzbeks, Tajiks and Kyrgyz have Muslim populations with high fertility rates and not many resources. I don't think Putin wants that.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:02 PM

6,666 posts, read 12,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Also I don't think Russia wants the "stans" other than maybe Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan has lots of fertile fields and still has a large Russian minority. The Russians have mostly left the other Stans. Turkmenistan is lightly populated but has lots of oil. The Uzbeks, Tajiks and Kyrgyz have Muslim populations with high fertility rates and not many resources. I don't think Putin wants that.
Yeah, probably not those three for the reasons you stated. I just assumed he would want ALL of the old Soviet Union back. I think he'll want Azerbaijan and Armenia. Those have a lot of resources from what I imagine.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 1,638,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Putin wants the Baltics to connect to Kalingrad. And Russia has tried to destabilize Estonia and Lithuania with decent sized Russian minorities.
At least Estonia is trying to limit voting to citizens.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/estonias-...082737987.html

Estonia's ruling Reform Party introduced legislation to strip the voting rights of non-citizens, the vast majority of whom are ethnic Russians, the Estonian media outlet ERR reported on April 1. The proposal would only impact local elections.

Tensions between Moscow and Tallinn have significantly sharpened since the beginning of Russia's full-scale war in Ukraine.

Estonia has been one of the leading military donors to Ukraine in terms of share of GDP since the beginning of the all-out war in 2022. Prime Minister Kaja Kallas, a member of the Reform Party, and other Estonian politicians have also been particularly outspoken about the threat that Russia poses to Europe.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:01 PM

5,116 posts, read 2,788,723 times
Obtaining quality recruits by Ukraine is a major problem.

https://avia-pro.net/news/ukrainskay...y-oficerov-vsu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies