Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 11:23 PM

26,873 posts, read 22,739,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I do like Zelensky's latest plea..."Give me money or I'm gonna surrender"

IMO retreating is as good as surrendering.

I think it's "give me money, or I will keep on targeting Russian oil refineries, as much as you don't want me to. ( Since it rises the price of oil, as Biden's admin pointed at to Ukrainians earlier, asking them to refrain from these actions.)

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...ities-00148673
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Uh, that would actually be BECAUSE the US ponied up the 2Bil. Most of which, BTW, never left the US because it is in the form of weapons and systems built in America by Americans.

But it's done now. Ukraine has the same weapons Russia does and more are on the way. Russia does not dare quit this war they started. If they did, they would quickly lose Crimea forever, and they can't afford to lose Crimea.

Sure-sure, except for Ukraine doesn't have as many men as Russia does.

So I hope what you'll see here, will make you happy.

It's till the last Ukrainian, as you wish.

https://twitter.com/JaimeHorta17/status/1773669984616530184

Old 03-30-2024, 11:41 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Almost no one actually believes Ukraine interfered in the 2016 election.
It's pure Russian disinformation. Russia has tried to blame Ukraine for what Russia actually did, and it's been thoroughly debunked.
This is Exhibit A, folks.

Folks choose to ignore what is clear as day or are simply ignorant of matters.

Politico has reported extensively on Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election. Here are snippets from one such article, titled Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire

Quote:
Donald Trump wasn’t the only presidential candidate whose campaign was boosted by officials of a former Soviet bloc country.

Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump by publicly questioning his fitness for office. They also disseminated documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggested they were investigating the matter, only to back away after the election. And they helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers, a Politico investigation found.

A Ukrainian-American operative who was consulting for the Democratic National Committee met with top officials in the Ukrainian Embassy in Washington in an effort to expose ties between Trump, top campaign aide Paul Manafort and Russia, according to people with direct knowledge of the situation.

The Ukrainian efforts had an impact in the race, helping to force Manafort’s resignation and advancing the narrative that Trump’s campaign was deeply connected to Ukraine’s foe to the east, Russia. But they were far less concerted or centrally directed than Russia’s alleged hacking and dissemination of Democratic emails.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ackfire-233446

So, again, forgive me for not giving a hoot about a country that brazenly worked with the DNC to interfere in our politics

This isn't some secret or some conspiracy

Now, there hasn't been a clear link established between officials in Kiev directing such interference, but I say so what (and note that a link established or not established via intelligence assessments doesn't mean that there is no link)? Ukrainian government officials certainly did interfere in the 2016 election in support of Hillary Clinton. That the effort may not have been as centralized as Russian interference efforts are doesn't change this point.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-30-2024 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
You misstate Germany's position on Support for Ukraine.
Germany is very much supporting Ukraine. What German Chancellor Schholz has refused to do is send long-range missles for fear that they may be mis-used, or worse yet, Russia gets their hands on the technology. That kind of makes sense.

German support as of May 28, 2024
https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-...kraine-2054992
You choose to misstate what I have written (I have never claimed that Ukraine isn't supporting Ukraine). I noted that "aiding Ukraine here" (with the "here" referring specifically to the missiles) would be escalatory.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Politico has reported extensively on Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election. Here are snippets from one such article, titled Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire

So, again, forgive me for not giving a hoot about a country that brazenly worked with the DNC to interfere in our politics

Now, there hasn't been a clear link established between officials in Kiev directing such interference, but I say so what (and note that a link established or not established via intelligence assessments doesn't mean that there is no link)? Ukrainian government officials certainly did interfere in the 2016 election in support of Hillary Clinton. That the effort may not have been as centralized as Russian interference efforts are doesn't change this point.

Yes it was S. Leshenko ( Ukrainian MP) that passed certain documents to US media, that brought resignation of Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager. So of course there was Ukrainian interference in US elections.

Here are the details from "The Nation."

Old 03-31-2024, 12:12 AM
bu2

24,175 posts, read 15,032,389 times
The hoax is that Russia tried to help President Trump get elected. They helped Bernie, Hillary and Trump as documented in Mueller's report. Their main goal was to divide Americans.

But it was all pretty minor.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:30 AM

6,656 posts, read 12,166,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
When are the Republicans going to introduce their aid package to Russia for its war against Ukraine?
Maybe when their leader becomes president again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Putin's march across the world eh ?

2 years in now and no taking over the world has happened.
But the US has laundered over $100 billion over it.
Yeah, that's because Ukraine has been putting up a fight and preventing a repeat of Poland under Hitler in 1939. Otherwise it would have happened by now.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:44 AM

5,258 posts, read 3,845,622 times
Quote:

I'm shocked anyone is still buying the Russiagate hoax. You gotta be brain dead.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:11 AM

19,210 posts, read 27,844,200 times
Meantime in Ukraine, the OP, RAF are advancing pretty much on all directions. Slow and steady.
The infamous by now X-101 cruise missile just got updated to almost twice the range, and now it is 5500 km, almost reaching Dublin and, the warhead went up from 400kg to 800kg.
Guided bombs went up to 3000kg, 5000kg is being finalized and RAF undusted the Elephant, the ten ton bomb, manufactured in the USSR and the largest ever conventional bomb. They are resolving the carrier issue before using them.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:34 AM

25,730 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Quote:

No one believes Ukraine's interference with the 2016 election had any real effect, any more than Chicago's election interference - which, BTW, happens every year and has for generations.

In any event, this is all about the war. Russia has now moved all important ships out of Crimea and no longer has any hope of regaining control of the Black Sea. While Russia retains the ability to strike civilian infrastructure deep within Ukraine, they do not have, and never will have, the ability to occupy Ukraine. Clearly, Russia is hoping Ukraine will stop fighting.
The Kerch Bridge is no longer used to transport military cargoes. It is feared by Russia that multiple strikes on the bridge have weakened it and, since failure of the bridge would be catastrophic, they hope to save it for later use.

Putin issued the call for another 150,000 conscripts. It was expected. Russian law forbids the use of conscripts in foreign countries, but Russia will find several ways to either skirt the law or simply ignore it.

Speaking of ignoring law, ships transporting Russian oil refuse to take Pilots aboard to assist them as they transit the Denmark Straits. These tankers operate outside the law first of all, because they can (there is no one to stop them) and secondly, because they could not pass inspection anyway. Russia would not be interested in cleaning up an environmental spill, even if they caused it.

Russia is the world's bully and should be economically destroyed. People quake in fear when Russia is named, and that is just how Russia wants it. At the core they are an economically insignificant country with an economy the size of Spain. They ignore international law and common morals, and get by with doing it by intimidating civilian with their nuclear arsenal.
Russia's nuclear arsenal is of value only when it is not used. If they were to actually use it - even once - it would be "game over" for Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies