Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 02:04 AM

4,984 posts, read 2,754,611 times

Advertisements

Denys update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD8qOP37RCU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:04 AM

51,735 posts, read 26,026,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Let me get this straight.

Russian announcer claims that the airfield attack came from the Baltic states, presumably Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania as these are the Baltic states in proximity to airfield, and that they should be wiped out.

What universe does this guy live in?

The Russian military is floundering in trying to invade Ukraine. Why on earth would they take on an actual NATO nation?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-31-2023 at 03:29 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 03:28 AM

51,735 posts, read 26,026,840 times
According to a Wagner representative, soldiers need to to seek different job opportunities as the Russian MoD is not allowing them to fight in Ukraine, and even employment in the Middle East and Africa is difficult due to "tough competition" with the Russian MoD and National Guard (Rosgvardia) who are trying to operate in those regions.

I assume the convicts who joined Wagner are now free to go about their lives, such as it is, in Russia, and that there are enough spots in other private armies to absorb the rest of the Wagner soldiers.

But if not, can't help but wondering exactly what alternative job opportunities does an ex soldier of fortune pursue.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:24 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,585,507 times
Interesting results from a Pew Poll about Putin: https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...ky-more-mixed/

Quote:
These findings come from a new Pew Research Center survey conducted from Feb. 20 to May 22, 2023, among 30,861 people in 24 countries.
If you scroll down to the map, you’ll see what percentage of those polled in various countries had no confidence in Putin to do the right thing regarding world affairs. Examples:

Poland - 98%
Japan - 93%
U.S. - 91%
Germany - 86%
France - 82%
Hungary - 73%
Brazil - 68%
Greece - 66%
South Africa - 57%
India - 31%

(See map for other countries)

Here’s another article dated today: A success for Kremlin propaganda: how pro-Putin views permeate Italian media

Old 08-31-2023, 08:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 3,173,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Interesting results from a Pew Poll about Putin: https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...ky-more-mixed/

If you scroll down to the map, you’ll see what percentage of those polled in various countries had no confidence in Putin to do the right thing regarding world affairs. Examples:

Poland - 98%
Japan - 93%
U.S. - 91%
Germany - 86%
France - 82%
Hungary - 73%
Brazil - 68%
Greece - 66%
South Africa - 57%
India - 31%

Here’s another article dated today: A success for Kremlin propaganda: how pro-Putin views permeate Italian media
So this poll measures the relative effectiveness of propaganda? We are definitely winning, but I doubt Putin will be swayed by the results.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:50 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,585,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So this poll measures the relative effectiveness of propaganda? We are definitely winning, but I doubt Putin will be swayed by the results.
Nope. I made no such claim. Both articles do discuss attitudes of ordinary people towards Putin though. That may affect or reflect the attitudes of their political leaders.

(I found the link to the first article in the second article.)

Old 08-31-2023, 09:17 AM

1,704 posts, read 907,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Poland - 98%
Japan - 93%
U.S. - 91%
Germany - 86%
France - 82%
Hungary - 73%
Brazil - 68%
Greece - 66%
South Africa - 57%
India - 31%

Every country engages in propaganda to some extent. It may take on different forms but the desired end result is the same. My news feed it filled to Pro-Ukrainian articles here in the U.S. If I were to believe them all, this war is going fantastic for Ukraine and Russia will collapse at any minute now. I get little if any counter narratives. What I can find I have to go and search. It's just how governments work especially during times of perceived crisis. It is what it is. To some degree I would applaud Italy for allowing other opinions. Tucker Carlson was fired and attempts made to backlist him for having a different opinion. His interview with Viktor Orban is good.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:20 AM

1,704 posts, read 907,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
The US could always drop few nukes on NK.
Now that is some leverage. Unfortunately NK can send them back at us, so it's not as strong of hand as it once was.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:23 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,114,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsunel View Post
There were stupid thoughts in the minds of Soviet young guys of the USSR about the great Soviet army. Soviet propaganda and there were no other sources of information. A general came to us and said that a group of Soviet troops in Germany is designed for 40 minutes. And this is not in the case of a NATO attack, but in the case of an attack by the German army. Although the number of Soviet soldiers was more than 300 thousand.
But when Georgia began to cut the Ossetian people and Russia ****ed her in all holes - the level of training was different. Now Georgia is full of hatred for its shame. Even Ukrainian flags are hung on houses.
That Soviet army could not have done even a tenth of what the Russian army is doing now. Although Ukrainian bots demonstrate "great victories" in videos, many of which are fake.
Yeah....and don't forget Russian troops are all 10 feet tall

Old 08-31-2023, 12:43 PM

8,984 posts, read 11,862,977 times
Dying for nothing.

https://youtu.be/TX2kp-z1pNU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies