Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 203 39.73%
No 259 50.68%
Unsure 49 9.59%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 02:48 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,267,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Signed treaties and declarations are what's sacrosanct.
America exists because it made a treaty with France to gain its support in the American Revolution. We violated that treaty after the French Revolution with the excuse that we made the treaty with the old government. Basically, the French Revolution made the treaty non-binding.

In fact, breaking treaties is kind of our thing. Just ask the Native-Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5wCl3aAMEQ

Moreover, America breaks "international law" constantly(Iraq War?). We even ignore the rulings of the International Criminal Court and declare a right to invade the Hague if they try to arrest Americans for "war crimes".

Since Ukraine carried out what it calls a "revolution"(IE a US-backed coup). It is debatable whether any treaty is still binding.

Quote:
I keep hearing McGreggor, Jimmy Dore, and all them other Kremlin nutriders drone on about how the US promised to Russia no NATO expansion. But this is ridiculous affirmation, no such agreement was made, nothing was signed, there was no public statements on this, none of it. But you see, it doesn't even matter, because to Russia, a signed agreement is the same as an off the cuff remark...in either case they exercise the right to break it.
America 100% has the right to break that agreement. And Russia 100% has a right to feel aggrieved. I don't understand your point.

Quote:
As for your linguistic map of Ukraine and how that would make a "makes sense" border, I will say that when I googled linguistic map of the US, it came out primarily all English speakers, coast to coast. So I guess it would make sense that we should be British subjects then.
That would be as absurd as saying that if someone in Germany learns to speak English they either become British, or they have the right to secede and join Britain. I only mentioned the linguistic map to exhibit that Ukraine is a very divided country, ethnically, linguistically, culturally, and religiously. Basically, Ukraine is not an ethno-state.

With that said, if the US government was overthrown in a coup and the new government started passing anti-Hispanic laws, would it be surprising if parts of the American Southwest with high Hispanic populations would want to secede from the United States, or even be annexed by Mexico, claiming that the American Southwest used to be part of Mexico?

If that were to happen, who is the bad guy? Whose land is it? How did America get any of this land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 04:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 2,777,484 times
update from the front...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF10g9CykKk

Old 07-27-2023, 04:31 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,267,466 times
Quote:
Here's "saint" Russia, it cares so much about the rights of russian speakers in Ukraine, oh my, their saviors!
1) I said in comparison they are saints. While I don't condone Russia's behavior, things are far worse in Ukraine. In fact, they don't even let you leave Ukraine, and everything is infinitely more authoritarian.

2) The Russian man who was jailed wasn't simply opposed to the "war". He claimed the Russian Army was committing war crimes... More specifically he said... "in Bucha civilians were shot by our military from Buryatia, from Dagestan for no reason at all."

Basically, he got charged with deliberately spreading "false" information to discredit the Russian Armed Forces.

I've watched plenty of street interviews and there are always lots of Russians who oppose the war. From what I can tell, more than half of young Russians oppose the war, but almost all older Russians support the war. I'm sure someone who lives in Russia(and who isn't biased) could give better numbers. But you know, I live in America and I have no idea where all the Americans are who support the Ukraine War because pretty much everyone I know agrees with me.

3) I watched the longer video of the "Not Alone" organization that goes to Eastern Ukraine trying to convince people to evacuate to Western Ukraine. I thought it was funny to hear her talking about the prejudice against Eastern Ukrainians. She says it was really bad in 2014/2015, but it is still really bad.

She also claims that most people in the east aren't waiting for Russia, but would they necessarily tell her if they were? Regardless, it just shows again how divided Ukraine is, and how Victoria Nuland will rot in hell.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:43 AM

31,076 posts, read 19,659,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
US Russia backdoor talks have started after going to nothing.

US believes Russia would use tactical nukes on Ukraine to defend Crimea. Russia has been very clear that they will use nukes if Crimea is invaded.

US is starting to say it wants a strong Russia to help with other problems in the world including central Asia and terrorism.

Russia is unable to articulate what victory and what defeat would look like for it in Ukraine.

Some Russians have said they didn't want the invasion in these backdoor talks.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...sive-bad-shape
There's always sane people trying to steer the ship away from the cliff, I hope they are sucessfull.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:27 AM

26,758 posts, read 15,323,348 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrOkblBZlQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKOaGdhw4dI

Interesting, it looks like Ukraine is going to reattempt to break through the buffer zone to reach Russia's 1st of 3 main prepared defensive positions. Ukraine made some small progress, but the perspective is that Russia themselves had said they would only hold the buffer zone for a couple of days before falling back to the 1st of 3 main defensive lines. Well, here we are a couple of months in to the offensive and Ukraine hasn't reached the 1st main defensive line.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 07-27-2023 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-27-2023, 06:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKOaGdhw4dI

More updates.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:20 AM

Yevgeny Prigozhin is in Russia at a Putin hosted event for a Russia-Africa summit. Supposedly this is legit that he is back in Russia (at least on a visit) after his exile from his attempted march on Moscow. Putin spoke at this event, not sure if they met up at the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ui3WFBxGQ

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-war-2180.html

Old 07-27-2023, 08:52 AM

51,765 posts, read 26,093,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yevgeny Prigozhin is in Russia at a Putin hosted event for a Russia-Africa summit. Supposedly this is legit that he is back in Russia (at least on a visit) after his exile from his attempted march on Moscow. Putin spoke at this event, not sure if they met up at the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ui3WFBxGQ

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-war-2180.html
Oh, dear Lord.

It's like a Bond movie, only in real life.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:53 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,765,685 times
This is a great analysis

AN INFLECTION POINT IN UKRAINE’S COUNTEROFFENSIVE
MICHAEL KOFMAN AND AARON STEIN

https://warontherocks.com/2023/07/an...nteroffensive/

Old 07-27-2023, 09:45 AM

770 posts, read 523,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
America exists because it made a treaty with France to gain its support in the American Revolution. We violated that treaty after the French Revolution with the excuse that we made the treaty with the old government. Basically, the French Revolution made the treaty non-binding.

In fact, breaking treaties is kind of our thing. Just ask the Native-Americans.

Moreover, America breaks "international law" constantly(Iraq War?). We even ignore the rulings of the International Criminal Court and declare a right to invade the Hague if they try to arrest Americans for "war crimes".

Since Ukraine carried out what it calls a "revolution"(IE a US-backed coup). It is debatable whether any treaty is still binding.

America 100% has the right to break that agreement. And Russia 100% has a right to feel aggrieved. I don't understand your point.

That would be as absurd as saying that if someone in Germany learns to speak English they either become British, or they have the right to secede and join Britain. I only mentioned the linguistic map to exhibit that Ukraine is a very divided country, ethnically, linguistically, culturally, and religiously. Basically, Ukraine is not an ethno-state.

With that said, if the US government was overthrown in a coup and the new government started passing anti-Hispanic laws, would it be surprising if parts of the American Southwest with high Hispanic populations would want to secede from the United States, or even be annexed by Mexico, claiming that the American Southwest used to be part of Mexico?

If that were to happen, who is the bad guy? Whose land is it? How did America get any of this land?
Your arguments are formulated on fallacies, because there was no "US backed" coup in Ukraine, nor were there any promises (binding or otherwise) made to the USSR about no eastern NATO expansion. Either provide concrete evidence to the otherwise, or let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies