Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 11:28 AM

4,966 posts, read 2,745,209 times

Advertisements

Ukraine is attacking oil pipelines inside Russia..

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...or-2023-05-27/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 11:29 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Here is the article that lead to the interview:

https://istories.media/en/opinions/2...-who-will-win/
Good article! I notice it was written in January. I think Putin is even more weakened now.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:26 PM

25,722 posts, read 17,486,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Russian pilots missed stationary targets during low-altitude bombing. They flew low and would have made easy targets for MANPADS. Some people suggest these were good gesture moves by the Russian pilots. I don't know............
That's probably a good thought. I have heard similar stories about enemy pilots in other wars.
Nearly everyone on every battlefield is a victim of some sort.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:37 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,635,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Good article! I notice it was written in January. I think Putin is even more weakened now.
Girkin has a new video on this topic…

Girkin accuses Prigozhin of preparing for a coup in Russia. He says the insults towards the Russian army by Putin's cook are unacceptable, and signal a rift in the elites which Prigozhin will take advantage of with his private army that is being withdrawn from Bakhmut. Girkin adds that if Russia misses the upcoming counter-offensive, the political situation in the country may become unrecongisable by the end of summer.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/st...C9xc-okZIuAAAA

Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,753,493 times
ISW Update 5/27/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...nt-may-27-2023

Quote:
May 27, 2023 - Press ISW

Wagner Group mercenaries appear to be withdrawing from Bakhmut city to reconstitute and regroup in the rear as Russian offensive operations decrease in and around the city. Ukrainian military officials reported that Russian offensive operations had dramatically decreased to two skirmishes in the Bakhmut direction, and Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar attributed this decrease to the Russian relief-in-place and regrouping of forces in the area. The Ukrainian General Staff reported on May 27 that Russian forces conducted unsuccessful offensive operations west of Khromove (immediately west of Bakhmut) and in the direction of Predtechyne (15km southwest of Bakhmut). Malyar stated that Ukrainian forces hold dominant elevated positions north and south of Bakhmut and that Ukrainian forces stopped combat operations on May 26 and 27 to fulfill other unspecified tasks. Malyar also stated that Ukrainian forces continue to control positions in the southwestern outskirts of Bakhmut City. A prominent Russian milblogger claimed that Ukrainian forces are not conducting active operations aimed at regaining positions in Bakhmut City itself despite the possible continuation of localized Ukrainian counterattacks northwest and southwest of the city.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:13 PM

4,966 posts, read 2,745,209 times
Denys update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOlSWh7F5s

Old 05-27-2023, 08:53 PM

25,722 posts, read 17,486,093 times
Moscow Times reported that the UN projects Russia population could halve by 2100, to around 83M. Of course, we all know there are a lot of factors driving that figure, and for now none of the factors are good.

It's not just that final figure - 83M - that is troubling. The journey to that number will be very difficult as working age Russians become ever scarcer. Already, the population pyramid shows a contraction at the age of 45-49 years of age. Each age younger than that shows fewer people, all the way down to newborns.
There is no getting around it. It takes 20 years to make a 20 year old worker. Even though Russia will be sanctioned and life will be hard for many years there will still be a need for Russian workers. And they will be no where to be found.

Russia has fallen a long way under Putin's leadership. Putin has gone from posing for pictures with world leaders to being unable to travel at will for fear of being arrested or assassinated.
Russia will never recover from this debacle.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:00 PM

19,201 posts, read 27,834,216 times
Our source in the OP(Office of President) said that the State Department set a condition for the Office of the President to clean up all the oligarchs in Ukraine for the entry of Western investment companies. The BlackRock proposal scheme is very simple, first the Ukrainian government takes the property from the oligarchs to the state, and then it is transferred to international investment companies. The list is very large and includes enterprises, wells and mining companies, land and government orders.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/17864

Old 05-27-2023, 09:24 PM

1,386 posts, read 489,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Moscow Times reported that the UN projects Russia population could halve by 2100, to around 83M. Of course, we all know there are a lot of factors driving that figure, and for now none of the factors are good.

It's not just that final figure - 83M - that is troubling. The journey to that number will be very difficult as working age Russians become ever scarcer. Already, the population pyramid shows a contraction at the age of 45-49 years of age. Each age younger than that shows fewer people, all the way down to newborns.
There is no getting around it. It takes 20 years to make a 20 year old worker. Even though Russia will be sanctioned and life will be hard for many years there will still be a need for Russian workers. And they will be no where to be found.

Russia has fallen a long way under Putin's leadership. Putin has gone from posing for pictures with world leaders to being unable to travel at will for fear of being arrested or assassinated.

Russia will never recover from this debacle.
I fail to see how life today could be any worse for the Russian people than what it was like back in the 1990s where crime was rampant and poverty was an everyday reality for tens of millions who were struggling just to feed their families.

They have contingencies in place and have reoriented their economies. I think Russia is weathering this storm better than the post Soviet collapse state back 30 years ago.

As to the point about future demographics, I've heard other estimates put the 2100 number at 126 million. A drop but nothing too severe. Not like, say, South Korea where the forecast has their population plummeting to a staggering 16 million from an all time high of 50 million.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:33 PM

12,464 posts, read 8,260,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
I fail to see how life today could be any worse for the Russian people than what it was like back in the 1990s where crime was rampant and poverty was an everyday reality for tens of millions who were struggling just to feed their families.

They have contingencies in place and have reoriented their economies. I think Russia is weathering this storm better than the post Soviet collapse state back 30 years ago.

As to the point about future demographics, I've heard other estimates put the 2100 number at 126 million. A drop but nothing too severe. Not like, say, South Korea where the forecast has their population plummeting to a staggering 16 million from an all time high of 50 million.
A steady stream of cremated remains of husbands, fathers and sons is the difference today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies