Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 10:04 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Bottom line: kids are getting dumber on average.

Why do you think that is, leftists? Sunspots? Dwindling caribou populations? You folks are firmly in control of the education system. You folks are responsible for muzzling them two years ago. You folks are responsible for lower the educational standards to the point that a certified idiot could sail through with flying colors. You folks are responsible for teaching kids nonsense that has nothing to do with an academic education. You folks are responsible for participation trophies.

Now you see what the result is. What did you expect to happen?
Speaking of kids getting dumber. That's because they have dumb parents.

All this topic addresses happens way before kids get to school. You might want to check out some child development books.

And BTW, kids learn a lot more through play than, academic education.

By 24-30 months there are plenty of opportunities for learning through play, being read to and singing.

Worry about their SATs when they can read proficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 10:22 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Speaking of kids getting dumber. That's because they have dumb parents.

All this topic addresses happens way before kids get to school. You might want to check out some child development books.

And BTW, kids learn a lot more through play than, academic education.

By 24-30 months there are plenty of opportunities for learning through play, being read to and singing.

Worry about their SATs when they can read proficiently.
The posts are getting dumber and dumber.
The NIH clearly isn't a right-wing entity.
Read the abstract, if you like.
The reality is not going to match your description.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34401887/

More definitive research will take time, but the effects are apparent right now.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did parents cease interaction with their own very young children when Covid hit in the first quarter, 2000 and onward?

Do parents and family members typically wear masks in their own homes, yards, parks etc?
If your kid is in daycare 8 to 10 hours a day, there isn’t a lot of waking hours with unmasked adults.

If your kid keep needs speech therapy, good luck doing it with a masks on.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
I've also heard this is preparation for the vaccine rollout for kids <5 years old.

They are prepping for possible developmental delays in children who receive it.

Just an opinion I heard from someone else.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
The posts are getting dumber and dumber.
The NIH clearly isn't a right-wing entity.
Read the abstract, if you like.
The reality is not going to match your description.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34401887/

More definitive research will take time, but the effects are apparent right now.
That's why good daycare and early childhood providers and parents put their kids in pods. The teachers use whole face see through masks. The kids do not wear masks.

By the time state health departments combined with state departments of education get their acts together who knows how these decisions get made.

Back to my premise, Americans know little about infants -3 year olds.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:30 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,716 times
Quote:
That's why good daycare and early childhood providers and parents put their kids in pods. The teachers use whole face see through masks. The kids do not wear masks.

By the time state health departments combined with state departments of education get their acts together who knows how these decisions get made.

Nice deflection there. You make the case against U.S. policies and many state policies, which wasn't your intention.

Partial disclosure: I'm an expert in my field (and nope, I'm not going to reveal who I am), but if anyone thinks they know what they're talking about in my field (or related), bring it on.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:

You mean people with money or the ability to stay home with their kids had better choices than people without money or the option to stay at home.

Daycares here would have got shut down if kids weren’t masked. It wasn’t optional.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You mean people with money or the ability to stay home with their kids had better choices than people without money or the option to stay at home.

Daycares here would have got shut down if kids weren’t masked. It wasn’t optional.
What was stopping the teachers from using masks that made their entire faces visible to the kids?

Old 02-19-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Nice deflection there. You make the case against U.S. policies and many state policies, which wasn't your intention.

Partial disclosure: I'm an expert in my field (and nope, I'm not going to reveal who I am), but if anyone thinks they know what they're talking about in my field (or related), bring it on.
Are we related. A relative knows I frequent this forum. That alone might get me committed. And she quit Madison Avenue to get 2 masters in early childhood.

As an expert in the field you have a group to educate. Bring it on. Tell us the real scoop. What should we be doing?

Old 02-19-2022, 12:50 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If your kid is in daycare 8 to 10 hours a day, there isn’t a lot of waking hours with unmasked adults.

If your kid keep needs speech therapy, good luck doing it with a masks on.
I got scolded by a kindergartener on Thursday for having my mask down. I was doing one-on-one reading with a student, and the book we were reading had the word "throw". The class had been learning digraphs (two letters that make a different sound when combined), so I paused and asked if he could find the digraph. He pointed to the "th", but pronounced it like "f". I had the mask off to show him the tongue touching the teeth, and so he could hear the difference between the two sounds.

So teacher hears the one kid freaking out over my mask not being over my mouth, then I get a scolding from her. Seriously? Sorry, but I'm not going to let the kid think "th" makes the "f" sound.

Anyone who thinks the masking (and also the remote schooling, shutdowns, lack of social interaction and constant fear) hasn't had a profound effect on kids must not really work with them. Probably administrators - they know it all, but all too often know nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies