Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 01:29 PM

2,358 posts, read 1,159,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
According to UNICEF

12,300 deaths under age 20 are due to COVID
58% were ages 10-19
42% were ages 0-9

That is only 5,166 dead children under age 10. Damn evil CDC. What were they thinking. Those are acceptable losses in order to exercise our freedom.
This is data for Covid-19 mortality in the U.S. over a year and a half period:
Quote:
02/16/2022
0-4 years 307 deaths
5-18 years 663 deaths
01/04/2020- 02/12/2022
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Data for influenza (prior to Covid-19) for the 2019-2020 season:
Quote:
While any death in a child from a vaccine preventable illness is a tragedy, the number of pediatric flu deaths reported to CDC each season is likely an undercount. For example, even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 188, CDC estimates the actual number was closer to 600. It is likely the actual number of children who died from flu during the 2019-2020 season is higher as well.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2...flu-deaths.htm

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 01:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,794,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Childcare does not have to be in a daycare facility . Parents can get 5-6 families together and hire a provider. Or as in the olden days, an aunt or grandma.

IMO, anybody who thinks 2-4 year old people could wear a mask all day is an idiot. Any daycare facility would need a full time person per classroom just to keep the masks on properly and clean.
These are all good ideas but it’s just not the reality for a large number of kids and many of them have suffered due to mask mandates. 2 to 4 year olds are definitely wearing masks all day at daycares across the country and only get a break to eat and nap. I’ve heard from a couple of providers that it is absolutely exhausting trying to keep them masked and they want the mask mandate to end immediately because in addition to being harmful, it’s pointless.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:50 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This topic is about very early childhood/pre schoolers and language. I am not addressing anything other than 1-3 year olds.

And there are clear masks that don't fog so badly. You wear a filter on your back. Good early childhood teachers are very aware of the facial expression and language.

Elementary on up is a whole other thing. Most 2nd graders already have a vocabulary.

IMO, fewer students in a classroom who limit their contacts would be the best. And I am aware of some parents who started small group home schooling.

You can get down off your high horse.
Most kids 1-3 years old are not in classrooms with certified “good early childhood educators”, they are in daycare facilities with people who may or may not have enough adequate training to understand appropriate pedagogy or child development. Whatever training they get focuses on following the daycare policies. They are not being provided with specialized face shields or masks that include filters in the back of the head.

Speech is not fully developed by the second grade, by the way. Additionally, students learning to read also need to see their teacher’s mouths as they read.

I’m not the one who started this by making snide comments about clear mass. I’m not on a high horse, I have worked in the education field for over four decades, and I have seen the impact masking has had on students and newly entering kindergartners. Our masking of young children will be one of those “wrong side of history” events that get talked about in college child development classes for years to come.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
According to UNICEF

12,300 deaths under age 20 are due to COVID
58% were ages 10-19
42% were ages 0-9

That is only 5,166 dead children under age 10. Damn evil CDC. What were they thinking. Those are acceptable losses in order to exercise our freedom.
Those are worldwide deaths. Just FYI, the organization concerned with worldwide childhood deaths, WHO, specifically says children 5 and under should not wear masks and discourages mask wearing of children under 12.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:59 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,980,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Most kids 1-3 years old are not in classrooms with certified “good early childhood educators”, they are in daycare facilities with people who may or may not have enough adequate training to understand appropriate pedagogy or child development. Whatever training they get focuses on following the daycare policies. They are not being provided with specialized face shields or masks that include filters in the back of the head.

Speech is not fully developed by the second grade, by the way. Additionally, students learning to read also need to see their teacher’s mouths as they read.

I’m not the one who started this by making snide comments about clear mass. I’m not on a high horse, I have worked in the education field for over four decades, and I have seen the impact masking has had on students and newly entering kindergartners. Our masking of young children will be one of those “wrong side of history” events that get talked about in college child development classes for years to come.
Children in second grade think this is normal.

They don't know any different.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
So give me a number. How many dead children are acceptable?
Children are much more likely to die from being shot than from Covid.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:02 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,980,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
This is data for Covid-19 mortality in the U.S. over a year and a half period:

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...-Yea/nr4s-juj3

Data for influenza (prior to Covid-19) for the 2019-2020 season:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2...flu-deaths.htm

Any comments?
Pediatric flu deaths must be reported to the CDC. The CDC should not be guessing the number of flu deaths.

If you are going to compare child flu deaths to COVID flu deaths, do it year over year.

Don't lump all COVID deaths from 2020 to 2022. That's dishonest. Unless you want to add 3 seasons worth of flu deaths together as a comparison.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:13 PM

2,358 posts, read 1,159,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pediatric flu deaths must be reported to the CDC. The CDC should not be guessing the number of flu deaths.

If you are going to compare child flu deaths to COVID flu deaths, do it year over year.

Don't lump all COVID deaths from 2020 to 2022. That's dishonest. Unless you want to add 3 seasons worth of flu deaths together as a comparison.
Not sure I understand what is dishonest. I'm using CDC data that indicates Covid-19 in toddlers appears less of a concern than common influenza. Covid-19 is not a greater concern for children than is the flu.
That's the point. You would not have found the CDC making this point during the Covid-19 pandemic.
They have only recently made shocking admissions (aka-the truth) when they had data all along they covered, lied about, etc.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Children in second grade think this is normal.

They don't know any different.
Doesn’t matter. Kids who get beaten for having bathroom accidents think that’s normal. They don’t know any different. Doesn’t make it right, doesn’t mean it doesn’t do lasting damage to the child that will impact them for a lifetime.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,392,993 times
Children are likely to die from a lot of things out of your control. Why forgo the things you can control?

Re ... lighting, being shot etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies