Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 09:43 AM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times

Advertisements

Actually if we knew the day the Earth was formed THAT day would be the Earth's 'birthday', and should be the new year. Was it Oct 3 or Sep 5? We don't know.

Once trade began between countries it was soon realized they needed to be on the same day/month/year calendar. The world uses ONE calendar! Because it's expedient for business.

What people celebrate on any particular day doesn't matter. What matters is business transactions between countries- that's why the whole world uses the same day/month/year calendar. That, is profound just by itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 09:44 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Stop your celebrating and fireworks, today is not a new year and yesterday was NOT new years eve.

It is the middle of winter, the new year starts at spring.

Spring is birth, summer is the flourishing, fall is when things start to fall, and winter is the season of death. The new year starts at rebirth, not on some arbitrary month like 'January'.

Many cultures through out history knew this, but Caesar(sic) wanted to celebrate the god JANUS which is why he chose the month. It is Roman propaganda, and by extension western propaganda.

So why do we follow the Gregorian calendar? Because the Roman way was adopted by the Catholics, who then enforced it on the world by conquering ancient tribes in Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
In ancient times, very littlre activity took place in the winter; the Ancient Romans established a ten-month calendar (hence the names September(7) thru December(10); what was left was considered a "dead zone" of sorts. The two additional months were etablished as the advancing Roman Empire recognized the need for a uniform (Julian) calendar.

But the Julian calendar year was/is still a bit too long; this is why Orthodox Christians, who still follow it, celebrate Christmas on January 8 (soon(?)) to be January 9 as the disparity grows).

And so, leap years -- one in four, but skipped in at the turn of three centuries out of four -- were instituted in the Fifteenth century by Pope Gregory XIII, the most influential figure in the predominately-Catholic West of the time.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-01-2022 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-01-2022, 09:53 AM

8,181 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
One small, tiny problem: When the calendar flips over to the first day of spring, the year doesn't change. Hence, not a new year.
Now, one could argue that the Gregorian calendar doesn't make sense, but in the end there is no rule that says that the first day of the year is the first day of spring. That's just one interpretation.
I don't care if new years is in winter, or that we all celebrate it on Jan. 1st.

I'm not talking about rules or when the calendar flips or what any other culture in the world does or doesn't do. I'm not getting into the rest of his post.

I live in an area where we have distinct seasons. When everything out in the wild looks dead, it doesn't feel like a "new" anything. When the buds start forming on the trees in the Spring, when flowers start to push through the earth, when birds start to actually really sing again, that's when things feel "new" to me. So for me, subconsciously, that's when the NEW year begins. Spring.

All I'm agreeing with is, hey, the guy has a point. It's weird that we celebrate a new year in winter. It would make more sense to me, personally (because of the way I view the seasons and the symbology I personally attach to them) if the "new year" actually started in Spring.

It's just my opinion.
I'm not pushing legislation to change the calendar.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:26 AM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Stop your celebrating and fireworks, today is not a new year and yesterday was NOT new years eve.

Spring is birth, summer is the flourishing, fall is when things start to fall, and winter is the season of death. The new year starts at rebirth, not on some arbitrary month like 'January'.

Many cultures through out history knew this, but Cesar wanted to celebrate the god JANUS which is why he chose the month. It is Roman propaganda, and by extension western propaganda.

The Chinese New Years starts in February or early Spring. Persia (Iran) has Nowruz in March, also thought of as the start of Spring. And the Islamic calendar is similar to the Persian one.

The oldest is the Babylonian who had new years during the March EQUINOX because it was common sense that spring, the season rebirth, is the start of a new cycle.

So why do we follow the Gregorian calendar? Because the Roman way was adopted by the Catholics, who then enforced it on the world by conquering ancient tribes in Asia, Africa, and the Americas.

Look at the countries today that don't celebrate January 1st: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ye...st_January.png

These countries were not colonized. India was but it was never repopulated.

We have the center of Hinduism, the center of Confucianism, the Center of the Persian world, and the center of the Islamic world. That is pretty much all of the old world except for the Christians who westernized states like Japan, Iraq, Africa, etc. so they too except this illogical conclusion.

January first is the MIDDLE of winter, how does that make sense as a start to the new year? It doesn't make sense. So go home and stop celebrating.

Emotionally ( and logically) I am with you on that one.

But you don't argue with the mighty empires lol, particularly the ones that map out the new ruling civilizations.

So instead of making a long post, I'll refer you to this one.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:26 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:

Many cultures through out history knew this, but Cesar wanted to celebrate the god JANUS which is why he chose the month. It is Roman propaganda, and by extension western propaganda.

The Chinese New Years starts in February or early Spring. Persia (Iran) has Nowruz in March, also thought of as the start of Spring. And the Islamic calendar is similar to the Persian one.

The oldest is the Babylonian who had new years during the March EQUINOX because it was common sense that spring, the season rebirth, is the start of a new cycle.

Look at the countries today that don't celebrate January 1st: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ye...st_January.png

These countries were not colonized. India was but it was never repopulated.

We have the center of Hinduism, the center of Confucianism, the Center of the Persian world, and the center of the Islamic world. That is pretty much all of the old world except for the Christians who westernized states like Japan, Iraq, Africa, etc. so they too except this illogical conclusion.

January first is the MIDDLE of winter, how does that make sense as a start to the new year? It doesn't make sense. So go home and stop celebrating.
Judaism has 2 new years - one in the fall and one in the spring. But people are going to continue the new year on January 1st no matter what anyone says.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:29 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't care if new years is in winter, or that we all celebrate it on Jan. 1st.

I'm not talking about rules or when the calendar flips or what any other culture in the world does or doesn't do. I'm not getting into the rest of his post.

All I'm agreeing with is, hey, the guy has a point. It's weird that we celebrate a new year in winter. It would make more sense to me, personally (because of the way I view the seasons and the symbology I personally attach to them) if the "new year" actually started in Spring.

It's just my opinion.
I'm not pushing legislation to change the calendar.
People who "lean leftward" in general tend to have less foresight; this is why May Day was celebrated by the Soviet Union -- while Labor Day, with Old Man Winter soon to show up, was observed at the end of the summer in the nations with the most advanced, and thereby, the most open and capitalistic economies.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times
I bet the Op prefer soviets holidays!

Old 01-01-2022, 10:46 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Hey, if I can get drunk and shoot off guns and fireworks I'm all for it.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What "new life" starts in the winter ?

There is a need to cleanse the earth to get ready for the new life. Can’t be accomplished without winter.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:57 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree with winter being a time of preparation for new life in nature. Wintertime is when I walk my yard and evaluate the gardens and their structure and decide which plants should be moved and new ones planted in the spring. The spaces are clearer in the winter so I can see how the plants will look better than when all the foliage is present. Besides, a winter landscape has its own special beauty!
Agreed. I’m just pointing out that this poster’s perception of things isn’t an objective truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies