Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 08:35 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,805,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lawlessness? Isnt that how their govt is operating?
Are cars on the streets, the government? Not the last time I checked.

Are the police the government? Again not the last time I checked.

So again why are the protesters blocking traffic?

Or doing things like throwing bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 08:48 AM

292 posts, read 93,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh boy; good luck with that. They're still unwilling to provide affordable healthcare to each other.
There are many volunteer associations in the U.S. Red Cross, Salvation Army just to name a couple, there are thousands of groups across the U.S. And as far as affordable health care I have had independent health care my whole life and never had any problems. People who are poor or can't afford insurance may qualify for Medicaid. I agree it isn't perfect but it is something we have to live with.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:00 AM

45,336 posts, read 26,602,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Are cars on the streets, the government? Not the last time I checked.

Are the police the government? Again not the last time I checked.

So again why are the protesters blocking traffic?

Or doing things like throwing bottles?
And why are people protesting?

Old 09-30-2021, 09:06 AM

17,861 posts, read 7,071,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And why are people protesting?
According to Finny everything is normal in Australia and has been since COVID started. What gives?

Old 09-30-2021, 10:20 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,806,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
According to Finny everything is normal in Australia and has been since COVID started. What gives?
According to this bizarre Gladys character, things will be totally normal eventually EXCEPT for the unvaccinated. Things will go 'backwards' for them, whatever that means. Based on comments from her and others, it probably means the government of (parts of) Australia is okay with a permanent underclass that may very well starve to death, or live like animals. The WORLD should be calling this out. This is not okay by any stretch of the imagination. No disease, catastrophe, or anything justifies doing this to human beings.

https://twitter.com/DarrenPlymouth/s...89089760022535

Old 09-30-2021, 10:45 AM

17,861 posts, read 7,071,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
According to this bizarre Gladys character, things will be totally normal eventually EXCEPT for the unvaccinated. Things will go 'backwards' for them, whatever that means. Based on comments from her and others, it probably means the government of (parts of) Australia is okay with a permanent underclass that may very well starve to death, or live like animals. The WORLD should be calling this out. This is not okay by any stretch of the imagination. No disease, catastrophe, or anything justifies doing this to human beings.

I think the authoritarians have made it abundantly clear that they're OK with discriminating against people who disagree with them about politics and medical decisions.

So much for the lip service these same people give to "universal health care" and "equality."

They are exposed, again.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:13 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,806,354 times
Quote:
I think the authoritarians have made it abundantly clear that they're OK with discriminating against people who disagree with them about politics and medical decisions.

So much for the lip service these same people give to "universal health care" and "equality."

They are exposed, again.
Yes, I agree. Any state or nation that is okay with making FREEDOM contingent on a vaccine should be ashamed. Such a place is not a 'democracy' or 'republic' or free country. It is an authoritarian biosecurity state. People should stop pretending they are getting their 'freedoms' back. If they were taken, and are being given back like crumbs from the masters table, they are not freedoms. They are conditional privileges that will be taken back at a moment's notice.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:55 PM

13,704 posts, read 9,807,998 times
Quote:
Any state or nation that is okay with making FREEDOM contingent on a vaccine should be ashamed. Such a place is not a 'democracy' or 'republic' or free country. It is an authoritarian biosecurity state. People should stop pretending they are getting their 'freedoms' back. If they were taken, and are being given back like crumbs from the masters table, they are not freedoms. They are conditional privileges that will be taken back at a moment's notice.
Freedoms won't return upon vaccination, or any other physical act undertaken by individuals. Neither is this limited to Australia or another nation or party. There is no "good behavior" or even "good government" that would restore freedoms.

The world has by and large decided that "saving lives" is paramount, essentially at any cost. That cost could be economic, philosophical, ethical, political, or whatever else. If "saving lives" means an abridgment of freedoms, then evidently, the plurality of voters around the world are OK with this. I have yet to see any nation or significant broad-based grouping of citizens, use the political process to stop the mask-madness or the lockdown-madness. And a bunch of vigilantes marching with signposts, will only irritate the otherwise neutral middle. We need a political solution. But there's no political will. Anywhere.

We're doomed to get precisely the world that we want. Enjoy.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:13 PM

13,670 posts, read 10,056,464 times
Quote:

I can’t believe I’m defending Gladys but ok - again the situation is this:

From Oct 11 stay at home orders will be lifted across the entire state. That’s when we’ll reach 70% of eligible adults fully vaxxed.

She’s talking about the period between phase out of restrictions starting then, until full opening Dec 1.

Once fully open, restaurants, entertainment venues etc will be open to all, regardless of vax status.

That’s when the state will reach 85/90% fully vaxxed.

Gladys doesn’t want unvaxxed people out and about until then.

But she’s up against it here. The cops aren’t going to enforce vax status in businesses, and neither are businesses.

This is a bit of a delicate situation. Cases have dropped and are going way down now that the vax rates are up. But there’s still a lot of people in hospital. If the disease rate picks up too much before there’s enough vaxxed the hospitals will be screwed. The reopening is predicated on a high number vaxxed people.

The period between Oct 11 and Dec 1 is going to be when the hospitals are at their most vulnerable. Unvaxxed people will also be vulnerable. But hopefully that will work itself out without too many casualties, as more and more people get covered.

(Most people are only recently double dosed, so vaccine efficacy is going to be quite high).

I don’t agree with her tone or the way she’s berating non vaxxed people. But she’s also responsible for the hospital system, and some epidemiologists are saying she’s reopening too early. So she’s possibly screwed either way.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:20 PM

13,670 posts, read 10,056,464 times
Quote:
I’m sorry I can’t hear you through my boarded up door, you’ll have to speak up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies