Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 04:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 618,241 times

Advertisements

Nuking was not needed at all.
Here is the factual write up:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30...an-stalin-did/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 PM

47,139 posts, read 26,355,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
The Dresden bombing was questionable.
Not Bomber Command's finest hour, but again: If it turns out you have to go to war with a sledge hammer and not a rapier, you look for targets you can hit with a sledgehammer. You don't sit on your hands until someone makes a rapier for you.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,013,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post

Let those who did not live history rewrite it.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:57 PM

79,516 posts, read 61,669,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Check out the video I posted....potential German and Japan list of war criminals

Sir Arthur (Bomber) Harris - United Kingdom....focused bombing on civilian targets i.e. Dresden

Gen Curtis LeMay - Firing Bombing (incendiary bombs) Japan cities i.e. 100K dead in one night during Tokyo bombing

President Harry Truman - Authorizing atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Go back and read my posts. You're agreeing with me but don't realize it. Heck Japan would have done ya proud and just killed pretty much large portions of the population over time so they'd have gotten most of the "war criminals" just like they did in China. Yay!

Old 08-10-2021, 09:04 PM

79,516 posts, read 61,669,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post

Go back and read the thread, the Russians slammed the door on the last hope of the Japanese....now imagine that the US had not taken all the other territory from them and were not bombing them all the time and had not sank their fleet. Does Japan surrender to Russia?

No.

People that see the world via one variable thinking are a sad sad thing to behold.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:14 AM

27,858 posts, read 14,067,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Check out the video I posted....potential German and Japan list of war criminals

Sir Arthur (Bomber) Harris - United Kingdom....focused bombing on civilian targets i.e. Dresden

Gen Curtis LeMay - Firing Bombing (incendiary bombs) Japan cities i.e. 100K dead in one night during Tokyo bombing

President Harry Truman - Authorizing atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Bomber Harris concentrated on strategic targets, and the Nazi's reaped what they sowed.

Dresden was a joint US/British Operation.

Whilst the average life expectancy for a bomber crew new recruit was just 2 weeks.

Given the short life expectancy, Bomber Harris's role was to hit the enemy hard and to bring the war to an end as soon as possible, in order to save allied lives, and that is what he did. As for Dresden it was an important railway and communication hub, and the rail station has a memorial to those Jewish civilians transported through it to Nazi concentration camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

The Lancaster Bomber carried out daring missions, including the audacious Dambusters raids, on Germany during World War Two. It had a crew of seven from the pilot to the gunners. Everyone had to play their part to stay alive.

The Lancaster was one of the most dangerous places to be in the entire war – the life expectancy of a new recruit was just two weeks.

WW2: Could you be part of a Lancaster Bomber crew? - BBC

London Blitz: Bomb Sight interactive map created - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-11-2021 at 01:24 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,994,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Let those who did not live history rewrite it.
Read the "Franck Report" published in the May 1, 1946 issue of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists:

Quote:
If we consider international agreement on total prevention of nuclear warfare as the paramount objective, and believe that it can be achieved, this kind of introduction of atomic weapons to the world may easily destroy all our chances of success. Russia, and even allied countries which bear less mistrust of our ways and intentions, as well as neutral countries, will be deeply shocked. It will be very difficult to persuade the world that a nation which was capable of secretly preparing and suddenly releasing a weapon, as indiscriminate as the rocket bomb and a thousand times more destructive, is to be trusted in its proclaimed desire of having such weapons abolished by international agreement.

From this point of view a demonstration of the new weapon may best be made before the eyes of representatives of all the United Nations, on the desert or a barren island. The best possible atmosphere for the achievement of an international agreement could be achieved if America would be able to say to the world, "You see what [a] weapon we had but did not use. We are ready to renounce its use in the future and to join other nations in working out adequate supervision of the use of this nuclear weapon"…
Why the United States Did Not Demonstrate the Bomb's Power, Ahead of Hiroshima

https://carnegieendowment.org/2016/0...hima-pub-64314

Old 08-11-2021, 10:00 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,364,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol...blast questions at me requiring a lengthy response? Sorry, I don't owe you a paper on the topic.

Suffice to say, had we lost it would be Hitler and the Japanese deciding what "war crimes" we committed so any sort of application of the standards we used to what they might decide are likely to differ.
I guess you won't reply because you refuse to think things through. Oh well. Suit yourself.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:04 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,364,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Liberal historians are obviously going to write white papers until they are blue in the face, but none of them know what happened in the meetings in Japan at the highest levels in August of 1945. Many of these historians are biased anti-americans and they will have a motivation to "dispel long standing myths" that americans generally have. It was Apple Pie for years to claim that the bombs ended the war, and these people would love to change that narrative.
Ah, too bad that people on the right like yourself are like leftists willing to explain away things via ideology.

Had you read history as I've told you to do, you would know that immediately after the bombing and for the first years after them, the strongest and loudest voices condemning the nuking of those Japanese cities were conservative voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
This guy is still droning on and on about "war crimes?"

Yikes. "War crimes" are determined by the people who win the war. Period. There are no rules in war, and no one is going to apologize for winning too emphatically.

Get over it.

Bottom line: If you think exploding the two biggest, most technologically advanced bombs in history didn't have a MASSIVE effect on the japs surrendering, I have some beachfront property to sell you in Nebraska.
Stop, really. I've seen other posts from you on other topics, and while you came across as reasonable there, you're just providing leftists ammunition for their claim we who are on the right don't know the facts.

If you had studied history, you'd know that it was the USSR's entry into the war that terrified Japan and moved it to surrender.

I have nothing to get over. I'm brave enough to study history even when the facts aren't what I want them to be. You on the other hand are the one who is unaware of the facts. Should you ever become courageous enough to study and to read, you will then "get over" your own ignorance.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:42 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,779,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Go back and read my posts. You're agreeing with me but don't realize it. Heck Japan would have done ya proud and just killed pretty much large portions of the population over time so they'd have gotten most of the "war criminals" just like they did in China. Yay!
I just came in late in the thread, wasn't challenging the question but hypothetically these people would have been atop the list had the allies lost the war.

This is not a simplistic debate.....at all. Both Curtis Lemay and William Tecumseh Sherman had the same type of philosophy...as Sherman quoted during the US Civil War.... "War is hell. You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it." The morality of this outlook is that the more cruel war is....the quicker it is over. In order to do good we must engage in evil. But who is good and who is evil. Abraham Lincoln best answered this

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."

This is a tricky subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies