Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 05:16 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
War is hell.

Best thing you can say about them, is that they give us good reasons to avoid it in the future.
When has America not been at war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Let’s not forget the country spent a lot of its capital on those bombs they could have used to build more ships and planes. The decision was made. Not for us to judge.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:21 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,392,354 times
RUSH

Manhattan Project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE4MKIXxL0

Old 08-06-2021, 05:24 PM

323 posts, read 129,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When has America not been at war?

Well wars are big business Eisenhower warned us of the Military Industrial Complex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenh...rewell_address

Old 08-06-2021, 05:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
No I'm saying what you wrote is not a fact.
Yes it is. Read the history.

Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions.
Just like we all have anuses!

Quote:
Nothing you say is fact.
ALL of it is fact. Go look at posters from the war. Read up the Japanese reactions to the bombings and then to when the USSR declared war. Read what the American generals of the time said.

Quote:
It is conjecture about an event that didn't happen.
Quote:
Get over it.
Get over what, exactly?

Quote:
A million people have arguments that we shouldn't have done it. A million have arguments that we should have.
Not a million and one? Not a million and a thousand?

Quote:
WE DID.
And in so doing, the U.S. military waged war on children and women. How brave.

Quote:
It ended the war immediately.
Wrong.

Quote:
That's reality.
No, that's your uninformed opinion. You have one, as do I. You have an anus as well, as do I. Doesn't mean your position is right.

Quote:
Thinking you know better is silly.
Your opinion - again.

Quote:
Parroting the opinion of an America-hating tool from the Harvard teachers' lounge as if its fact is also silly.
You're doing the same thing leftists do to conservatives - they claim conservatives like myself are racist even before they assess our arguments. You know nothing of that book, you know nothing other than the official line and you harp about opinions?

Your opinion stinks like an unwiped anus. If you don't know what that book or other historians or the generals who lived it said, then cease harping about "opinions."

Quote:
By the way: What a lazy argument that we did it because we were racist toward the Japanese. Snooze fest! That's the root of all evil in the eyes of weenies like this guy. Forget the fact that they ambushed us on our own territory, killed countless soldiers with barbaric kamikaze tactics, etc. Yeah, we hit them hard because we are "racist." Can't you guys at least come up with any new material? Yeesh.
No argument was made by me that the U.S. struck Japan with atomic bombs because of racism. If you're going to misinterpret what others write and then label it "lazy arguments," you're best off not typing. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:29 PM

566 posts, read 283,209 times
There's a great 4 part Revisionist History podcast by Malcom Gladwell on General Lemay, the "Bomber Mafia", the development of napalm, and the decision to use it against the Japanese. Some things I learned:

Napalm was developed by scientists at Harvard but, unlike the Manhattan Project the history is largely forgotten.

General Lemay was an advocate of precision bombing. The original goal of the new B-29's was to take out Japan's war industry. The jet stream of all things made that nearly impossible. Lemay quickly pivoted to the next best strategy - firebombing.

Huge replicas of Japanese towns were built in the Utah desert by an architect that had lived in Japan pre-war. They were used to determine the efficacy of napalm on Japanese cities.

After the war, in the 60's. Lemay was given an award by the Japanese. In addition to rebuilding Japan's Air Force after the war, there was an acknowledgement that Lemay's all or nothing approach hastened the end of the war and likely prevented mass starvation in the winter of 1945 and the very likely scenario that the Soviets would invade and carve up Japan like what happened in Korea.

Napalm was far superior to the incendiary devices favored by the Brits and used in Dresden.

Finally, the podcast concluded with the Korean War. I didn't know that we bombed the crap out of them with napalm. One officer recalled that the Air Force (Air Corp?) didn't have anything left to target as most cities and infrastructure were toast.

Great podcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Enough with these incendiary posts.
Clever!

Last edited by Gator Fan 79; 08-06-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2021, 05:46 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

Just like we all have anuses!

ALL of it is fact. Go look at posters from the war. Read up the Japanese reactions to the bombings and then to when the USSR declared war. Read what the American generals of the time said.

Get over what, exactly?

Not a million and one? Not a million and a thousand?

And in so doing, the U.S. military waged war on children and women. How brave.

Wrong.

No, that's your uninformed opinion. You have one, as do I. You have an anus as well, as do I. Doesn't mean your position is right.

Your opinion - again.

You're doing the same thing leftists do to conservatives - they claim conservatives like myself are racist even before they assess our arguments. You know nothing of that book, you know nothing other than the official line and you harp about opinions?

Your opinion stinks like an unwiped anus. If you don't know what that book or other historians or the generals who lived it said, then cease harping about "opinions."

No argument was made by me that the U.S. struck Japan with atomic bombs because of racism. If you're going to misinterpret what others write and then label it "lazy arguments," you're best off not typing. Thanks.
So you're really claiming that you KNOW that Japan would have surrendered without nuking them? You're claiming to know an eventuality that occurred in history?

This is really what you're saying?

Old 08-06-2021, 05:47 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

YOU posted it from your "source."

Do you not even know what you posted?

Old 08-06-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
So you're really claiming that you KNOW that Japan would have surrendered without nuking them? You're claiming to know an eventuality that occurred in history?

This is really what you're saying?
Who cares what I'm saying?

What people from that time however, who did research, who were in battle, who were in uniform, and who were in leadership said what I said. You think I thought that up from thin air? Unlike the Federal Reserve, I don't create things by merely pushing buttons!

Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey’s opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.
United States Strategic Bombing Surveys

Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
YOU posted it from your "source."

Do you not even know what you posted?
I wrote in 2020 and I quoted myself: "It is within this cultural, mental, and ideological context that the decision to use the atomic bomb on Japan was made. It has been debated whether President Truman would have authorized the nuking of Dresden, Berlin, or any other major German city. But the lens via which America viewed Japan in the 1940s was wholly different from the vantage point through which it viewed Germany."

Racism was part of the overall cultural mindset of 1945. But nuking Japan wasn't done PRECISELY because Truman or the U.S. military were racist. They may have been, but they made that decision IN SPITE of any racism they may personally harbored.

You've not seen propaganda posters of that time, have you? You haven't read about how the Japanese were described, have you?

Ever hear of the term "jape?" Go look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies