Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 11:36 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,620,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Quoted from the article:

Today, flying the flag from the back of a pickup truck or over a lawn is increasingly seen as a clue, albeit an imperfect one, to a person’s political affiliation in a deeply divided nation.

The US flag isn't offensive. How some extremists have used it can be upsetting. It is true that today, if someone flies a flag on the back of their truck, for example, people might assume they are a die hard Trump supporter. I am a white male with a full beard. If I put a flag on the back of my car, people would make certain assumptions about my political leaning. Good or bad, that is a shift from how things were seen a few years ago.

yes republicans think only their viewpoints are valid and patriotic...a shift from a 1960 john Wayne quote concerning that election "well" JFK is my president even tho i didn't vote for him

trump people especially have hijacked the Flag for their own purposes some people think the flag projects trump person..the article explains this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 11:45 AM

10,250 posts, read 11,247,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
yes republicans think only their viewpoints are valid and patriotic...a shift from a 1960 john Wayne quote concerning that election "well" JFK is my president even tho i didn't vote for him

trump people especially have hijacked the Flag for their own purposes some people think the flag projects trump person..the article explains this
BS.

The problem with Dems, they can't give actual facts, It's their way or no way.

You seem to think, everything you post is Right, even when it's "proven false"

I have stated in my post, that not all Dems are against the Flag.

How the Hell did "Trumps People" Hijack the flag. That is one of the most asinine things, I've read lately. How Idiotic.

And See, you bring Trump into every topic. This right here, is why Many Conservatives have had enough.

Hateful, hateful.

Are You Woke????

Old 07-04-2021, 11:45 AM

12,723 posts, read 7,671,570 times
I love the American flag, it's probably the most common flag seen overseas on clothing. Second would be UK.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:47 AM

18,904 posts, read 7,778,246 times
So Democrats now find the US flag to be offensive?

Year ago a number of leftist newsreaders on TV refused to wear American flag pins on their shirts.

There's nothing "now" about their being offended by the flag. It's been that way for a long time.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:47 AM

20,946 posts, read 5,582,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
BS.

The problem with Dems, they can't give actual facts, It's their way or no way.

You seem to think, everything you post is Right, even when it's "proven false"

I have stated in my post, that not all Dems are against the Flag.

How the Hell did "Trumps People" Hijack the flag. That is one of the most asinine things, I've read lately. How Idiotic.

And See, you bring Trump into every topic. This right here, is why Many Conservatives have had enough.

Hateful, hateful.

Are You Woke????

We have said it. They can choose to hear it or to not hear it.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:52 AM

26,669 posts, read 28,971,610 times
Explain why so many of us are flying the American flag then. Mine is hanging from the balcony. I see another one across the way on another balcony with flowers around it. We have parades and people carry the flag. The town is all decked out in flags on the houses and buildings. The streets are lined with American flags.

SOME Repubs. think they are the only patriotic Americans. Happy 4th of July and please, let us all come together someday.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:53 AM

36,195 posts, read 18,510,766 times
It seems to me the far right is trying VERY hard to take our flag as their own.

There's a ground swell to take the Betsy Ross flag and make it the new confederate flag, and I just got a text from someone in the pacific northwest at a July 4th parade saying there's a t-shirt "Betsy Ross was White".

This feels like a pressure cooker. Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Status: "Trump is the BLOAT...Biggest Loser of All Time!" (set 28 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,634,329 times
There's flag-flying and then there's flag-flying.

The spirit in which you do something is even more important than doing the thing itself. In this case, flag-flying. I seriously doubt the objectors have in mind the salt of the earth patriotic household in Indiana or Tennessee who fly their flag on the front porch. OTOH, if the flag's flown along with symbols of political or religious movements, then that's not flying the flag out of love of country, but mere chauvinistic nationalism. This is especially true when you have political leaders likeness on the flag - which should be deemed desecration.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:13 PM

38,785 posts, read 22,599,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I can’t believe it, but there it is, plain as day in the New York Times.

Where do we go from here as a country?
Everything about the USA must be made out to be offensive, how else can the Marxist dems convince enough Americans that they need to destroy everything and start all over to create a Marxist government?

Of course, the political elites will not have to live like the masses. It will be the riches and leisure of fascism for them, and Marxism for the rest of us.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:13 PM

16,070 posts, read 6,763,807 times
I personally found the sight of people storming the Capitol building while draped in the American flag to be a desecration of that symbol, so I can understand why there would be some internal conflicts. I certainly don't find the flag offensive, but it has been put to some highly offensive uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies