Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:51 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,439,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It doesn't seem logical that people are eating more than they did in the 70's, 80's and that is the complete story. Less activity for sure, which is one factor. I think the types of foods eaten, too, play a large role. Fats in foods were demonized in the 80's, 90's and replaced w/ simple sugars/carbs, which is prob. worse.
Anything in excess is worse for you. It's not just confined to carbs and sugars.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,000,705 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It doesn't seem logical that people are eating more than they did in the 70's, 80's and that is the complete story. Less activity for sure, which is one factor. I think the types of foods eaten, too, play a large role. Fats in foods were demonized in the 80's, 90's and replaced w/ simple sugars/carbs, which is prob. worse.
How does it not seem logical?? In the 70s there were NOT the types of food options that there are today. Portion size has also increased. How do you not think people dont eat more today??

Old 05-28-2021, 08:05 AM

19,034 posts, read 8,644,133 times
Well, here you go....

Nestlé Created a ‘Floating Supermarket’ Boat That Sold Junk Food To Brazilians Living In Remote Areas

"Many people think problems like obesity and diabetes are the problems of rich countries like the U.S. But the reality is, times are changing. As junk food become more available in developing countries, obesity and diabetes rates are on the rise. In Brazil, obesity rates have risen more than 150% since 2002. And this epidemic is, by and large, thanks to giant food conglomerates like Nestlé."

"Nestlé sent a floating supermarket deep into the Amazon, creating a market from some of the most vulnerable children on earth - now children in the forest as young as 7 are living with diabetes. Worth considering when you purchase their products."

"Dr. Chris van Tulleken travelled to the Amazon to investigate the sharp increase in obesity among Brazilians in remote areas. He saw that these Brazilians had drastically changed their diet in recent years. While before, they ate most natural, minimally processed foods, their diet was now full of Nestlé junk food."

“I’ve been to the Amazon several times as a doctor, ten or twelve years ago, in quite remote places and really I just can’t remember ever seeing anyone who was overweight,” Dr. van Tulleken said."

https://wearemitu.com/wearemitu/thin...zil-junk-food/

...and we won't even get into Mexicans and Central Americans and sodas......

Old 05-28-2021, 08:14 AM

26,511 posts, read 47,004,282 times
Soy and soybean oil in foods is horrible, read your ingredient labels carefully and avoid. Also avoid wheat like the plague, it is an appetite stimulant that causes all kinds of inflammatory responses un many people.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:14 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,721,240 times
While I think a lot of the reason is poor diet and lack of exercise, there might be a third factor as well. It's interesting that lab animals and other captive animals (whose diets are strictly measured and controlled) are also getting fatter even though their diets haven't changed in decades. Pets are getting fatter too as are wild/feral animals that live near humans. Scientists don't know why yet but they suspect environmental factors.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-face-obesity/

I lost weight during the pandemic, but gained all of it back in less than a month when I decided to switch diets (the old was was really restrictive and boring). After the weight gain, I decided to try intermittent fasting. Nothing yet as far as weight loss goes, but I know once the community pool opens I will lose weight. I swim every day I can in the summer in addition to my regular exercise and it always trims me down and gives me more definition.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:19 AM

19,034 posts, read 8,644,133 times
simple formula.....take in more calories than you body can use right then....and it stores the rest as fat

...that's the way we are all made...including animals

Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 AM

1,167 posts, read 468,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
simple formula.....take in more calories than you body can use right then....and it stores the rest as fat

...that's the way we are all made...including animals
True, and when people delve into human behavior they always forget we are just animals. People accept the differences in species and breeds of other animals; yet they assume every human being from every corner of the earth, will have the exact same thoughts, traits and actions.

People are different in mind, body and ability. But, humans have the same basic functions of anatomy. Over eaters who do not rigorously exercise will gain weight. The issue isn't the fuel available, it is the drive and willpower to do what is best for your health regardless of cravings for comfort food and sugar.

Look at how the United States has changed the messaging on health and diet. We are told fat is beautiful. We are told not to fat shame. We are told not to criticize others who make no effort to improve their own lot. We are told we have a duty to take care of and financially support those who won't provide for themselves. We are told unskilled entry level workers are owed a living wage. We are told those who fail are either oppressed by the rich, or the privileged. We are told the losers on the street panhandling are just like us, but had one bad break we didn't have.

We used to champion the war hero, the policeman, firefighter or astronaut. Now we champion some blithering idiot singer, actor or sports figure. This is not accidental. We are being taught to be stupid and lazy. We are being programmed to be dependent. Dog trainers teach their animals, to associate food and praise with pleasing their master. They want their animals totally submissive. Someone wants the population to be the same.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:56 AM

4,725 posts, read 2,014,953 times
I need to think on this a bit, over lunch. I think its my Quarter Pounder with cheese and lg fry day....then i will come home and sit in front of the computer for a few hours. (don't worry i will have a diet coke, have to watch the calories)

Old 05-28-2021, 09:05 AM

331 posts, read 184,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
We eat too much brown food, not enough green or red.
As a brown, I love brown food. But I do put guac and peppers on it. So I guess I'm covered.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:09 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,000,705 times
What is brown food? Meat?

I think of breads, pasta, rice, cheese etc as white foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.