Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:04 AM

18,026 posts, read 14,033,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s all about racism

You see, we people of color don’t have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Not because we would loot and rob the place, but because said stores are racist. And this food desert results in people of color only having access to McDonald’s and Taco Bell, if we haven’t burned it down yet.

As far as exercise goes, gyms are racist because they know people of color can’t afford membership fees or the time to go to a gym.

Bottom line: it’s always a white persons fault.
Now, now, now...

We know it's not that. We know it's because blacks are lazy by nature.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:06 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,573,692 times
I think it’s a combination of factors.

Much of the food we eat has been chemically recreated into something that tastes good. High fructose corn syrup and it’s many derivatives are in EVERYTHING. Even our grain is genetically modified.

We eat more of this crap food because our lifestyles are incredibly hectic, and preparing nutritious food is time-consuming.

Crap food also tends to cost far less than fresh healthful choices.

We exercise less and have been convinced that life outside our front door is dangerous for our children, so they no longer roam the neighborhood and burn calories the way they used to.

This isn’t an easy problem to fix, and it won’t be fixed by belittling and shaming people. We’ve been conditioned for many decades now. Change will come slowly as well.

My mum was a native Hawaiian who didn’t consume any dairy. She shopped the outer walls of the grocery store where fresh food is kept. We grew up thin and healthy. Most kids in my era (70’s) were thin. We used to eat at McDonalds maybe once a month, and it was happy time for us. A single cheeseburger, small fries, and an 8 ounce soda. Look at what is now touted as a “meal” from McDonalds.

It’s really startling how large our waists have become. Even Asia is beginning to see chubby teenagers. Crazy.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:26 AM

18,026 posts, read 14,033,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I think it’s a combination of factors.

Much of the food we eat has been chemically recreated into something that tastes good. High fructose corn syrup and it’s many derivatives are in EVERYTHING. Even our grain is genetically modified.

We eat more of this crap food because our lifestyles are incredibly hectic, and preparing nutritious food is time-consuming.

Crap food also tends to cost far less than fresh healthful choices.

We exercise less and have been convinced that life outside our front door is dangerous for our children, so they no longer roam the neighborhood and burn calories the way they used to.

This isn’t an easy problem to fix, and it won’t be fixed by belittling and shaming people. We’ve been conditioned for many decades now. Change will come slowly as well.

My mum was a native Hawaiian who didn’t consume any dairy. She shopped the outer walls of the grocery store where fresh food is kept. We grew up thin and healthy. Most kids in my era (70’s) were thin. We used to eat at McDonalds maybe once a month, and it was happy time for us. A single cheeseburger, small fries, and an 8 ounce soda. Look at what is now touted as a “meal” from McDonalds.

It’s really startling how large our waists have become. Even Asia is beginning to see chubby teenagers. Crazy.

Looking it up, the most obese places in the world now are the south pacific island nations. The "westernization" of their diets has come with great consequence.

I believe among the heaviest people in the USA are the Popago Tribe of Arizona. They basically went from subsistence diet to full on fatty/sugary diet in about three generations and they are plagued with dietary induced illness.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:29 AM

6,828 posts, read 2,148,711 times
1)Food is cheaper, options more plentiful.
2)Less people cook, and eat out. Restaurants serve high calorie options because it tastes good, and people are happier when full.
3)It's more acceptable to be fat - standards on what is healthy keeps shifting as fatter. Standards on what constitutes gross keeps shifting fatter.
4)People are more sedentary.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,219,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
PS: It's not the carbs or sugar.

Courtesy Kevin Bass, MS

https://thedietwars.com/why-are-amer...=ReviveOldPost
because the concentration camp food they are served...

Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 AM

6,828 posts, read 2,148,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
[/b]

Looking it up, the most obese places in the world now are the south pacific island nations. The "westernization" of their diets has come with great consequence.

I believe among the heaviest people in the USA are the Popago Tribe of Arizona. They basically went from subsistence diet to full on fatty/sugary diet in about three generations and they are plagued with dietary induced illness.
That has been true for the last 50 or so years. They were genetically selected for storing mass, as the way they got to those islands was being on a tiny boat for months without a lot of food. When modernization came to those islands, food was cheap, they became fat too.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,573,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
[/b]

My people (I’m Hawaiian) like Asians and indigenous Americans, have metabolisms that don’t process dairy well. Asians tend to avoid dairy entirely, but we mack out on it. It makes us faaat. Additionally, starches are way too large a part of the Hawaiian diet (read: rice). Same with native Americans. It causes diabetes. Our bodies just weren’t meant for the diet that we eat.

*looks down, sighs, sucks in gut*

Old 05-28-2021, 07:38 AM

23,797 posts, read 24,280,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The point of the article is to show that it's mainly processed fats/oils and excessive calories that cause obesity. Not sugar and carbs.
If that's the case, whoever put that up is absolutely terrible at conveying their ideas.

It's slow today. I may dig into this to see who's behind it, and what their affiliations are. Ten bucks says it's being pushed by someone or some organization which is at odds with the soybean industry for some reason.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM

9,587 posts, read 5,911,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
A bunch of nonsense. I am a "working mother" and it's called meal planning. With instant pots, slow cookers and air fryers (available at thrift stores) it has never been easier to make a quick healthy meal.
Agree.

My mom usually worked outside the home, and she cooked a healthy meal every single night. She was all about nutrition (back in the 70s and 80s), long before it became more fashionable.

I was a working mother once my kids were a little older, and I cooked dinner most nights. Healthy doesn't have to be elaborate; in fact, it tends to be simpler.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,180,153 times
I eat well. If it wasn't for beer I'd look like Vic Tanny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies