Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,408,821 times

Advertisements

Soybean oil? LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
There are people who will propose everyone should wear a fitness tracker and their caloric intake should be monitored by a central health Care agency to save lives and to reduce healthcare costs. But it would be racist to measure all ethnicities the same, so some would have more calories and others less.I would think most progressives would be on board with that.
Whoa, talk about government overreach. I can't imagine anyone would be on board with that.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:27 AM

7,500 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Working mothers who don't have the time or inclination to prepare a nutritious evening meal for their children so they take them to McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc where the kids gorge on cheeseburgers, fries and shakes.
A bunch of nonsense. I am a "working mother" and it's called meal planning. With instant pots, slow cookers and air fryers (available at thrift stores) it has never been easier to make a quick healthy meal.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 457,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
PS: It's not the carbs or sugar.

Courtesy Kevin Bass, MS

https://thedietwars.com/why-are-amer...=ReviveOldPost
The real reason Americans are getting fatter is they are getting more and more convinced life should be fulfilling with zero effort. The media has conditioned people to believe everything they want should be attained with no effort on their part. They are told they should have high paying jobs even if they are low IQ, low production, low motivation and low value workers. People are told they have a right to free health care, housing and education. They are told it doesn't matter if they are criminals, illegal immigrants or drug addicts, they still have a right to live off the efforts of others.

When people are taught nothing is their fault, effort isn't needed and that others will always take care of them their drive to excel is destroyed. People are told it doesn't matter if you win, you still get a trophy. They are told it doesn't matter if they are fat; they are just a beautiful as slim people, and the slim people are not allowed to criticize them.

Once people lose the will to improve themselves, they soon learn to indulge and ignore their own well being. The question isn't why are we getting fatter, it is why are we taught to fail? Someone is profiting off this failure or it wouldn't be pushed.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:32 AM

13,728 posts, read 4,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What's this about "added" sugars and fats in the middle row? If we're talking about obesity, why does "added" anything matter? It doesn't. It's about the total intake of calories, fats, etc., not some human-created subcategory of them that your body doesn't care about.
That's kind of the point of the first graph. Obesity correlates very well with total calorie intake.

Then they go on to ask where these increased calories are coming from. They are not coming from added sugars or from grains, which have actually decreased. There is an increase in added fats.

But I agree; the word added doesn't really help, and the fact that most of it is soybean oil is also coincidental. If we switched to adding corn oil, would that be any better? The best advice remains to watch your total calorie intake.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:38 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,594,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Working mothers who don't have the time or inclination to prepare a nutritious evening meal for their children so they take them to McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc where the kids gorge on cheeseburgers, fries and shakes.

Huh??? My wife and I both work so pinning the blame on working mothers is stupid. I'm sure my wife would prefer to be waiting for me in the kitchen in her pearls and high heels when I get home, but since she has her masters degree as an SLP, she would prefer to be working. Both our kids are healthy, play sports and are slim. All it takes is a bit of planning and healthy choices. We eat out about once per week, if at all and I can assure you it's not "gorging" ourselves at McDonald's or Burger King.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:38 AM

16,771 posts, read 8,493,790 times
I gained 15 lbs during the pandemic and it's been very hard to lose. I had a commute that required bouncing from car to several different trains and a walk to my office. I hated it but apparently it was pretty good exercise doing that twice a day 5 days a week. When you go from that to the couch doing your job the lbs stick to you. I also live in new England so March, April and even beginning of may can be cold and it's not motivating to go out for walks. The food part is my fault. I started eating more comforting foods and also consuming more alcohol. I've tried to correct it. I do walk more now, we bought a peleton and an elliptical but I get out of control cravings. I was 127 before this happened now I'm 142. It's miserable. I want my old body back.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:41 AM

Default Te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
A bunch of nonsense. I am a "working mother" and it's called meal planning. With instant pots, slow cookers and air fryers (available at thrift stores) it has never been easier to make a quick healthy meal.
I have all of those things but my 5 yr old and 7 yr old are very picky eaters. Seems like anything i make is undesirable but they like restaurant food. It's like a salad at a restaurant is great but a salad I make at home is a no way I'm not eating that.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:43 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,077,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
The real reason Americans are getting fatter is they are getting more and more convinced life should be fulfilling with zero effort. The media has conditioned people to believe everything they want should be attained with no effort on their part. They are told they should have high paying jobs even if they are low IQ, low production, low motivation and low value workers. People are told they have a right to free health care, housing and education. They are told it doesn't matter if they are criminals, illegal immigrants or drug addicts, they still have a right to live off the efforts of others.

When people are taught nothing is their fault, effort isn't needed and that others will always take care of them their drive to excel is destroyed. People are told it doesn't matter if you win, you still get a trophy. They are told it doesn't matter if they are fat; they are just a beautiful as slim people, and the slim people are not allowed to criticize them.

Once people lose the will to improve themselves, they soon learn to indulge and ignore their own well being. The question isn't why are we getting fatter, it is why are we taught to fail? Someone is profiting off this failure or it wouldn't be pushed.
This is probably closest to the truth. Percentage wise the fattest people in this country are Native Americans, urban blacks, and Appalachia whites. All three share a common trait: multi-generational welfare. All have high unemployment, substance, crime and out of wedlock births rates.

I did some work on a Navajo reservation, and I've never seen so many obese people, including children.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:54 AM

To be honest I havent noticed people getting fatter. I am in the Boston area and people here are in good shape. I feel like I'm the only one i know who put on weight during covid.

Who are these Americans getting fat? I'd be happy to surround myself with them because maybe that would make me feel better about myself. I feel like I'm surrounded by skinny mini hardbodies.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:02 AM

24,817 posts, read 9,583,652 times
It’s all about racism

You see, we people of color don’t have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Not because we would loot and rob the place, but because said stores are racist. And this food desert results in people of color only having access to McDonald’s and Taco Bell, if we haven’t burned it down yet.

As far as exercise goes, gyms are racist because they know people of color can’t afford membership fees or the time to go to a gym.

Bottom line: it’s always a white persons fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies