Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,573,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
If I strike you with a hammer and then tell you move on live in the now how would you feel?

I get it. Putting gay people in prison for years for doing consensual personal things is no biggie to you conservatives.
You can have all the anal sex you want. Anybody can. It’s legal in all fifty states. Has been for 18 years. Did you know gays can legally marry, too? Yup. Been able to for six years now.

Be gay. Have anal sex. Nobody cares, and nobody is coming for you.

Get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,840,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You can have all the anal sex you want. Anybody can. It’s legal in all fifty states. Has been for 18 years. Did you know gays can legally marry, too? Yup. Been able to for six years now.

Be gay. Have anal sex. Nobody cares, and nobody is coming for you.

Get over yourself.
Oh wow, they have been able to legally be with each other for 18 yrs and legally marry for 6yrs? How extremely generous of us to 'allow' them that.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh wow, they have been able to legally be with each other for 18 yrs and legally marry for 6yrs? How extremely generous of us to 'allow' them that.
We used to have bad laws on the books. *shrug* We are evolving over time. The things the OP is whining about are no longer issues he needs to worry about. Why then continue to worry about them? Can he not satisfy his lust for outrage with the problems in modern life enough that he needs to go retroactive to whinge?

Is it profitable to spend your life looking back at the way things USED to be? Most people choose to look ahead and work on modern problems instead.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We used to have bad laws on the books. *shrug* We are evolving over time. The things the OP is whining about are no longer issues he needs to worry about. Why then continue to worry about them? Can he not satisfy his lust for outrage with the problems in modern life enough that he needs to go retroactive to whinge?

Is it profitable to spend your life looking back at the way things USED to be? Most people choose to look ahead and work on modern problems instead.
I often try to think what some laws we have today, that future generations will look back on as being totally inappropriate or wrong, (just as we do today about past laws). I think drug laws will eventually reach this point, and I also think 'sexual' type laws will drastically change...

If you look at the last 50 yrs, within that time, homosexuality has went from being criminal to now its celebrated, I do think some sexual preferences that are considered criminal today, will turn out the same way, its almost guaranteed actually, (if history is any indicator, its going to be DRASTIC changes)

Old 05-16-2021, 09:48 AM

63,917 posts, read 47,087,397 times
Quote:
Nowadays, I keep seeing conservatives making the argument that anti sodmy laws did not matter because they were not enforced. Here is an example of a guy who got convicted under such law in Idaho back in the 90s and served 7 years in prison. And after he got out Montana fought tooth and nail to keep him on the sex offender registry for having consensual sex.

https://www.kpvi.com/news/national_n...d490406d6.html

Note that the age did not matter. They put him away for 7 years under the sodomy law of the state at the time.

As I have been saying for years, conservatives are the biggest hypocrites alive. They yell out personal freedom but for decades they fought tooth and nail to criminalize personal freedom of gay people.

All conservatives are disgustingly bigots.
Anti sodomy laws, when enacted, crossed the political spectrum. Prior to 1962, every state had a felony sodomy law with minimum sentencing. Most states had repealed the law prior to SCOTUS ruling against Texas.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Anti sodomy laws, when enacted, crossed the political spectrum. Prior to 1962, every state had a felony sodomy law with minimum sentencing. Most states had repealed the law prior to SCOTUS ruling against Texas.
How can they still arrest people and charge them with Sodomy? I can post links to many people who had Sodomy charges in the 2000s.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,499,140 times
Quote:
How can they still arrest people and charge them with Sodomy? I can post links to many people who had Sodomy charges in the 2000s.
They can't. While some states still have those laws, the SCOTUS ruling made them legally void. Attempted criminal prosecutions for sodomy basically stopped completely by the mid-2000s for that reason.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
They can't. While some states still have those laws, the SCOTUS ruling made them legally void. Attempted criminal prosecutions for sodomy basically stopped completely by the mid-2000s for that reason.
I Googled "people charged with sodomy", this was the first return...(happened this year)

https://www.wtvm.com/2021/04/08/aubu...h-rape-sodomy/

Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I Googled "people charged with sodomy", this was the first return...(happened this year)

https://www.wtvm.com/2021/04/08/aubu...h-rape-sodomy/
Are you unaware of the difference between “adult consensual sex” and “rape and sodomy of a minor”?

One is ok. One isn’t. Figure it out.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:49 AM

18,613 posts, read 7,509,411 times
Quote:
Nowadays, I keep seeing conservatives making the argument that anti sodmy laws did not matter because they were not enforced. Here is an example of a guy who got convicted under such law in Idaho back in the 90s and served 7 years in prison. And after he got out Montana fought tooth and nail to keep him on the sex offender registry for having consensual sex.
So what? There were and are good reasons for such laws. Don't act like you're a paragon of virtue for facilely taking one side of an issue that is far more complex than you make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies