Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,395,677 times

Advertisements

Read your bible, abortion was encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 4,929,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Many people want both the welfare state and abortion banned. What it's really about is money. Some people feel like "no welfare state, no women having babies out of wedlock". Right, go look at Brazil. No welfare state there, and there are alot of out of wedlock births there, not to mention a higher birth rate. Go look to the favelas of Rio de Janeiro and other Brazilian cities. Alot of violent crime, street children, chaos. Of course, there are some people who are slanted towards eugenics and will use that situation to say "'see, this is why we need abortion". I'm against abortion. I am also against gutting welfare. I would say that welfare just needs to be reformed. Part of me could say "you don't work, you don't eat", but when children are involved, I can't say that. If a parent is just that negligent, then the children need to be taken out of that home and put somewhere much better.
Now that’s a good, talkable starting point. Let’s talk the way you talk first.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:39 PM

386 posts, read 171,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t have enough tin foil for a hat if I BBQ my steaks after this.

Get a grip.
Well YOU better get a grip! This is reality pal.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:28 PM

18,548 posts, read 19,178,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm a Dem and have met quite a few that use abortion as birth control which to me is wrong. One thing if you've been raped, your health is in jeopardy or the baby will not live a fruitful life - quite another when you ask a 14 yr old if there is a chance she's pregnant and they tell you - nope - had my 3rd abortion last week.
A 14 year old on her 3rd abortion? I doubt it.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 PM

8,743 posts, read 4,929,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
Well YOU better get a grip! This is reality pal.
OK. I am not negging your view, but I don’t see how you can legislate morality. If you cared to see my earlier post, you’d see that I find abortion rather unseemly, but I also don’t claim my own feelings about it as law for someone else. Those who govern least, govern best.

Check out page 4, post #33 for a more nuanced view.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:07 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,890,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Read your bible, abortion was encouraged.
In which verse?

Old 02-29-2020, 10:20 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,888,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just an observation-those on the left seem to take a lot of pleasure in killing tiny humans.
Just an observation, going by daily news reports: men seem to take great pleasure in killing women, children, and other men.

That was easy.

As for abortion, many studies show that men are far more likely to be pro-choice, and women to be pro-life. As a mom of 3 (and a "feminist"), that makes perfect sense to me.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,524,753 times
The popular myth is that Christians have always been against abortion. While true for Catholics it is not for Evangelicans. They were fine with it until the 1970s. In fact many southern states like Alabama had far more liberal abortion allowances than states like New York. I guess religion was morally corrupting people.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:35 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,888,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The popular myth is that Christians have always been against abortion. While true for Catholics it is not for Evangelicans. They were fine with it until the 1970s. In fact many southern states like Alabama had far more liberal abortion allowances than states like New York. I guess religion was morally corrupting people.
Lemme guess: you're Catholic?

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. In terms of practice, it's not true for Catholics. Not at all. Catholics are MORE likely to have abortions than Evangelicals.

Having grown up in a region that is overwhelmingly Catholic, this fact doesn't surprise me in the least.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6424365/

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/ch...-patients-2014

Abortion Statistics | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

Old 02-29-2020, 11:03 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,524,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Lemme guess: you're Catholic?

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. In terms of practice, it's not true for Catholics. Not at all. Catholics are MORE likely to have abortions than Evangelicals.

Having grown up in a region that is overwhelmingly Catholic, this fact doesn't surprise me in the least.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6424365/

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/ch...-patients-2014

Abortion Statistics | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
I am not wrong. Certainly people are hypocrites. What I am speaking of is the position of the religions leaders and there impact on abortion laws. Do some research. It was not until the 1970s that evangelicans started to move pro-life.

And no I am not a catholic at least not a practicing one.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b...-culture-wars/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies