Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 01:56 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,235,834 times

Advertisements

Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,536,905 times
Who cares what they think their pronouns are. These people have lost their minds. Truly.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:00 PM

1,154 posts, read 367,709 times
Yes, I've noticed that pronouns are sometimes specified in higher education today, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I refer to people however they wish and am grateful when they give me a heads up that their identification does not conform to the usual expectations.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:02 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,956,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
I would just laugh, slap them (gently, of course) on the back and say "That's a good one"

Old 02-18-2020, 02:07 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,235,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Who cares what they think their pronouns are. These people have lost their minds. Truly.
I don't mind referring to transgender by their preferred pronouns. I'll call Rupaul a "she" if that what he wants.

But what's changing is now everybody is being pressured to specify what their pronouns are. Some think it's no longer polite to assume what gender a person is so everyone should specify what "their pronouns" are. Look at people's Linkedin profiles. Regular folks are specifying their pronouns next to their title.

Nobody who is not transgender should be specifying their pronouns.

That's crazy. The whole world does not have to change to accommodate transgender people.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:07 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,956,127 times
Or I might say, my pronouns are "pffffft " (farting sound), make a couple of loud belches, or make a real phlegmy throat clearing sound while holding out my hand and looking them in the eye whilst giving them a friendly smile.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
Quote:

WTF?!

Cannot say that I've noticed anyone specifying what their pronouns are.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:

WTF?!

So what -- it takes all of a half second.

It's not what people did -- and most of us will still not have to do it.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Quote:

WTF?!

I’ve noticed it, but do we need a law against it?

Seems to me that conservatives cannot stand it if they aren’t enraged about something.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:13 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
I'm failry liberal in comparison to this site and I recently sat in a sensitivity training session for a college. When the topic of using they, them or 'it' came up I put my foot down. I told the trainer that I would respectfully address someone by their position or relationship to my jo- professor, student, 'end-user,' visitor, etc but that referring to someone as them or it would have gotten me beaten by my parents- my mother in particular. She even acknowledged that those particular pronouns would be fairly disrespectful in a number of settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies