Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:57 PM

16,568 posts, read 10,653,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm failry liberal in comparison to this site and I recently sat in a sensitivity training session for a college. When the topic of using they, them or 'it' came up I put my foot down. I told the trainer that I would respectfully address someone by their position or relationship to my jo- professor, student, 'end-user,' visitor, etc but that referring to someone as them or it would have gotten me beaten by my parents- my mother in particular. She even acknowledged that those particular pronouns would be fairly disrespectful in a number of settings.
While I do realize that "they" is plural, it's also used in the context of when we don't know a person's gender.

Person 1: "Hey, someone told me something really interesting today!"
Person 2: "Yeah? What did they say?"

So if I'm forced to use a non-binary pronoun, I'd probably go with "they."

What I will NOT do is announce my own pronouns, unless I'm speaking to a blind person who isn't willing to hazard a guess based on the sound of my voice. Otherwise, it just seems incredibly condescending, like I'm telling someone that they're too stupid to know what to call me. I've never been asked, but if I were, I'd tell them "he/his" and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 04:41 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,679,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I roll my eyes. It’s ridiculous. But it’s not really harming me. I have better things to waste my time worrying about.
Until you innocently make a mistake and you get called out on it. Accused of being an intolerant bigot or something.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Like gender bending its bending the English language. Completely pathetic.

Last edited by T-310; 02-18-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 05:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Like gender bending its bending the English language. Completely pathetic.
Indeed. I go with the pronouns corresponding to my cisgender male self.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Who cares what they think their pronouns are. These people have lost their minds. Truly.
Especially since everyone has the same pronoun when you talk to him: "you"!

Old 02-18-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm failry liberal in comparison to this site and I recently sat in a sensitivity training session for a college. When the topic of using they, them or 'it' came up I put my foot down. I told the trainer that I would respectfully address someone by their position or relationship to my jo- professor, student, 'end-user,' visitor, etc but that referring to someone as them or it would have gotten me beaten by my parents- my mother in particular. She even acknowledged that those particular pronouns would be fairly disrespectful in a number of settings.
When you address someone, you use the second person. That means "you".

No one has ever specified anything other than "you" as far as I know. The "my pronouns" thing is only about how you talk about them to other people.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Academia no longer use gendered language like boyfriend or girlfriend. It's now partner. Likewise do husband and wife.
That's ridiculous. Those words have vastly different meanings.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Listen to this logic:
So the whole club has to change how they introduce themselves to people to accommodate a small minority? Am I understanding this correctly?
I’m surprised how many here quickly and freely agree to modify their behavior in contradiction of reality to accommodate the delusions of a small, mentally ill group. Call yourself a giraffe if it makes you happy but I’m going to call it as I see it. Perpetuating a fairy tale doesn’t really serve anyone well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
"How many fingers am I holding up?"
“There are FOUR lights!”

Old 02-18-2020, 05:46 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Until you innocently make a mistake and you get called out on it. Accused of being an intolerant bigot or something.
THIS.

This is what people do not understand. Wait until it happens to YOU.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.

I identify as I, Me, My, & Mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies